Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pps7_gw

Backsplash for dining room built in

pps7
12 years ago

X post from kitchen forum.

I'm trying to determine the approx cost of these mosaics.

New Raveena

Country floors

Ann Sacks

Does anyone know the approximate cost? Or less expensive source? I'm sure that these "designer" brands are quite pricey, but I was hoping to find something in the $20-30 range. I only need 15 square feet. It's for my dining room built in:

I just think it needs a little something. Right now I have a few antique prints leaning on the wall. Another cheaper alternative would be white tin tile. Would it be strange to have a backsplash in the dining room and not in the kitchen?

Comments (13)

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

I do think that using a backsplash will make your built in seem more like a kitchen piece. Is the pic posted in your DR, and if so, is that space open to your kitchen?

• bestyears
    12 years ago

Gosh that's a beautiful built in. Love your rug too! I'm inclined to think that some texture in the backsplash area would be lovely, but I would be nervous about putting much pattern there. I say that because I think it might detract from using that as a display area of sorts. For example, at Christmas time, if you want to show off some pretty holiday dishware, the backsplash would compete for that attention behind the dishes....

I used a series of tiles in my kitchen backsplash called Seashore from the Cape Cod Series by Emser. You can find pricing online for that. They have a lot of texture and pattern, but all in one color. Perhaps something like that? I've included a link, but I didn't pay anything LIKE the price in the link.

Do you have a tile showroom nearby? That's where I started my search. Things are nicely displayed and collections are complete. They typically don't sell to the public, so you don't have to feel badly going in there and then ordering online.

Another idea, since you don't have a huge space would be to google handcrafted field tiles. I wish I still had my links, but there are some amazingly beautiful, artful tiles out there, and you can find them online.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seashore Cape Cod Tile

• clubcracker
    12 years ago

The first thing that came to mind with your pic was copper. Also check Overstock for lookalike tiles if you don't mind not having the real designer thing.

Love every pic you post of this space! You have me dreaming of a west elm sofa...

• Sidney4
    12 years ago

Pps7, your dining room built ins are very similar to the layout our cabinet maker has drawn up for our lower level family room except that ours will have a bar sink. I flipped through my idea file and found several examples of tile back splashes in non kitchen settings. My examples all have sinks, however . I don't know if that makes a difference or not. Here's a few examples from my folder.

{{gwi:1544951}}

I'm leaning toward a tile back splash but I've also been toying with the idea of wood panels to give it more of a furniture look. That might be a nice option to consider for your DR.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I love those wooden panels. A style that goes with your built-in might look great. Also like the metal idea, but depending on the look you like, maybe stainless like the wine refrigerator would work. It would be a more modern look though.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

What about something like this? it's wallpaper! Or maybe another type of wallpaper?

Here is a link that might be useful: copper look wallpaper

• teacats
    12 years ago

Another vote for wood or metal ceiling squares or tiles .... or beadboard?? Maybe wide horizontal beadboard for a change?

Yes -- an excellent point that your current set-up (VERY pretty BTW!!!) does allow that wonderful easy-change factor -- LOVE the antique prints!!! :) Perhaps simply hang the prints?

• Sidney4
    12 years ago

Here's another pic from my idea file that has bead board. It appears to be a kitchen but it looks like it would work in a dining room as well. IMHO the bead board gives it a more purist arts and crafts look if that is a style you are looking for.

BTW, I love your cabinets. I'm going to forward your pic to my cabinet guy if that's OK.

• sheesh
    12 years ago

Mirrors?

• DLM2000-GW
    12 years ago

pps7 - your kitchen/dining/family room set up has always been one of my favorites and is saved in my inspiration file!

Although I LOVE the tiles you show, my concern is that it will read *kitchen* and look a bit out of place since there is no sink, stove or food prep normally associated with a backsplash.

My first suggestion is to just paint out the outlet covers that are there to match the wall. The prints you show hide them well, but if you change to a display periodically that doesn't, they will be less intrusive if painted. Part of the beauty in the entire space is the sense of calm and a cohesive, *less is more* decor approach. I'm wondering if you just have an itch to add some color and pattern because there is less color outside this time of year? What about a change of paint color - nothing extreme but a subtle boost for just that small area? Then any display you do, the prints or something else, will have a more important backdrop than the same wall color as eslewhere.

• les917
    12 years ago

I think the idea of the wood or antiqued mirrors would be nice.

The other thing you might explore is a combination of stainless tile and ceramic or glass. The beverage fridge really stands out with that stainless front, and having some stainless in the tile might make it feel less different. Perhaps something like this. I have seen these kinds of layouts at the big box home stores, in some very interesting color and texture combos.

stainless/glass mosaic

• pps7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback. Definately a lot of food for thought.

Work in_progress, the dining room is completely open to the kitchen.

Bestyears, I don't do a whole lot of displaying. I may put some cut flowers or a few Xmas cards, but generally I like to leave the space uncluttered. We use the counter a lot when entertaining for food and drinks. I'm trying to avoid adding visual interest with vases or candles. I should definitely visit a showroom and see things in person.

Clubcracker, I didn't realize you can get tile on overstock and eBay. Will keep an eye out.

Sidney, thank you for posting all the pictures. I definitely don't want more wood in the room. There's a lot of wood between the built in table and chairs. Good luck on your project! would love to see pics!

Olychick, I had forgotten about wallpaper. that's probably a better option than tile. even designer paper is $150 a roll and I would need only one roll. I love Galbraith and Paul or romo paper. Maybe I should go take a look.

Someone in the kitchen forums photoshopped this for me.

I like it, but this tile costs $100/ square foot plus there's the labor. I probably would do something a little less busy, like this:

here are a few wallpaper pattern ideas:

I do have this stencil that I forgot about:

dlm, I painted the dining room and family room white so the outlets don't stick out that much :)

teacats, I'm okay with the prints right now and am certainly in no hurry to replace them.

• hudsonleigh
    12 years ago

I was about to cast another vote for either mirrors or beadboard, but I have to admit that I like that stencil an awful lot!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!