Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arapahord

Room In A Box?

Arapaho-Rd
10 years ago

Has anyone tried this? Just read about it on goop.com - Gwyneth Paltrow's website.

Interesting concept!

http://wsroominabox.com/

Comments (13)

• Arapaho-Rd
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the link again. Couldn't add it in my original post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Room In A Box

• graywings123
    10 years ago

That was interesting - a well-done introduction video. No mention of the design costs.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Better answers were given down thread.

This post was edited by Fun2BHere on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 17:38

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Pick a room and the prices are by sq.ft
    You give the budget range to keep the items within.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://wsroominabox.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=roominabox.view#.Uuv1trQ2-3M

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

the costs are listed on the website.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I don't understand ...though admittedly I didn't spend a lot of time looking ... the inspiration rooms have a lot of architectural detail that make them look fab. If you come in with a plain box of a room, will they have you add that too? Bookcases, mouldings, windows, etc? And will they have you raise your ceiling height too??

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 9:32

• User
    10 years ago

Lol, Annie, I was thinking the same thing!

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Think of it as an online designer.
    You give dimensions of your room,an inspiration photo and the price point you want.
    She shops around and sends you a rendering of how you can achieve the look.
    Paint colors,fabric selections,accessories and furnishings.
    Now to get a designer to come to your home~measure~get your input on styles~shop the items you like would cost how much ? $4700 for a large bedroom is that a deal ?
    I imagine you get something that looks like Room-in-a-Flash~

Here is a link that might be useful: http://wsroominabox.com/shop/room-in-a-flash/belgian-barn/#.Uu0qo7Q2-3M

• peony4
    10 years ago

I've come across a few designers who offer this type of service. And, I know a few homeowners who would gladly pay for someone else to make decorating decisions for them. If I were in that camp, I'd still want a live designer in my home... and online consult is rather one-dimensional and offers little more than an Internet search.

As an added note, I find the phrase "room in a box" rather unsavory. It lacks any hint of sophistication!

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I used a designer online. She was quite a bit more helpful than "an Internet search". She helped with furniture layout, paint and floor colors, type of furniture to go with our space, type of light fixtures, sizes of various items. She sent me mock ups while I was out shopping. I couldn't have done it without her help. If you don't have a talent for decorating (in my case, I can pick the big pieces, but I'm pathetic when it comes to accessorizing) and don't want to work with the kind of decorator who shops for you and charges a fortune, this can be a very useful service.

• peony4
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing your experiences, sjhockeyfan, and I have a friend who's in the same situation. She has some lovely pieces of furniture but is having difficulty pulling it all together. She can't seem to find Internet images to work from on her own (which was the nature of my comment, as I can tie together elements I find online). How did you find your online design service? She has her rooms 50% completed, but needs that extra push to the finish line.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Oh yes, sjhockey, I'd be interested too. I am just like you...no problem picking out sofas, tables, etc....but the details...forgetaboutit! Went to Hobby Lobby today for the first time and did not buy anything. Decided I would just try to copy rooms I like on Houzz...but not sure I have the patience to search thousands of pictures.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

If either of you would like to email me, I'd be happy to share privately. My email address is sf7307 at gmail