Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauraa_gw

I want a new coffee table, pics

lauraa
16 years ago

I want a new coffee table. I really would like to get some kind of trunk. I will post a picture or a link to the one that I have wanted for several years. My problem is, can I mix different stain colors in one room? I would probably keep my side tables. I have three other pieces in my den that I definitely would not want to get rid of or restain and they are all stained a dark color and the trunk I am looking at is much lighter.

Anyway, here is a picture of what I have now and I just don't think it is bulky enough. Then I will post a picture or link to the one that I want.

Comments (32)

• lauraa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

here is a link to the one that I want. I can get it in a darker brown stain but I don't think it is as dark as my other stained pieces.

Excuse the red pillows in the picture, I don't use them in there but had to move them and didn't realize they were in the picture.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Coffee-Table-Trunk-Rustic-Mexican-Pine-Furniture_W0QQitemZ4332225747QQihZ010QQcategoryZ38206QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

• coleen3201118
    16 years ago

I don't know if you's really want a trunk style coffee table in there. We had one and we recently got rid of it because it CONSUMED the room. While you've got a nice size room (and very pretty too!) I think it might overtake the room. It's very bulky - you can still get a storage type without having it be so massive.

• wodka
    16 years ago

You might considered bunching tables. We purchased ours from Bassett. Ours was the "Continental Sketchbook Bunching table." It's meant to be bought in pairs, but you can buy individually, which we did, to see how much room it took. Ended up going with the second one and get lots of compliments. They have other great looking tables to choose from. You can go to their website and check it out.

I agree - a trunk can look so "heavy" and cumbersome.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Let there be light! What about a glass, wood and metal table. A metal base (wrought iron) with wood perimeter and glass insert, square. You have the size of a 3 x 3 table, the added texture of wood and metal and the reflection and lightness of glass.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Laura, I am coffee table shopping too. I really, really thought I wanted a trunk but others have talked me out of it so far. I'm still looking at one from Costco that is heavy but now that I'm reading all the replies to your question, I'm not sure again.

I think the one you picked is nice but maybe a bit too light. I think mixing woods is okay but the one you chose is at the opposite end of the spectrum from your other furniture. I think you need a richer wood color.

I saw one in a magazine that I'm dying to find out who makes it but haven't been successful. It might look good in your room too.

• lauraa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for your replies. If I got the trunk then I would get it in the dark brown stain. I did go and measure and the trunk would really take over the space. I have three boys and I just do not see that working. I do like the idea of something with iron.

Lindy, I have also looked at the Costco coffee table, hopefully it is the same one. I guess you could describe it as a trunk type coffee table but there is really no storage but it does have a leaf to make it longer. I liked that one but I thought it was to "polished" for my room. My stuff leans towards more rustic (I think, duh, I don't know!!!). Anyway, I LOVE that coffee table that you posted. If you find out where it comes from, please let me know.

My coffee table and side tables were made by my mother in law. She copied them from a picture that I gave her of some tables from Pottery Barn. She did a great job on them but I have now tired of them. So, the shopping continues for the right tables.

• johnmari
    16 years ago

I will never have a trunk for a coffee table again because I was CONSTANTLY smashing my toes into it! If I'm going to have a coffee table with storage it is still going to be up on legs so there's room for toes underneath it. (I suppose you could mount bun feet off the bottom of a trunk, but in my mind's eye that looks odd.) There are a bunch I like that have generous drawers but are still well up off the floor. Trunks also make me grumpy because to get at anything inside you have to take everything off the top, which can be a hassle if you actually use anything you put in there at all often. I agree that it would likely also be too "massy" for the room, which appears to be either a tad on the small side or have a lot of big furniture clustered tightly together. I also think that particular one is too rustic by far; you have a very formal, traditional rug and contemporary leather chairs already, and introducing a piece that rustic could well lead to a bad case of decorative cognitive dissonance. :-)

I'm not really a fan of glass coffee tables because I dislike the "bang" when you set a glass or something down on them as well as how they show every smudge and speck of dust, but I do think it might be worth considering for this room.

Now as for the mixing of stain colors - HECK YEAH! I do it all the time because I have a mix of antiques (all in different wood tones). I think it looks far better than all matchy-matchy which can look like you just went on a shopping spree through a furniture store.

If I may be so rude as to make an unsolicited suggestion, if you are going to keep that tray table out would you be willing to consider moving it over between the leather chair and the upholstered one? It looks a touch odd floating in front of the fireplace, blocking the view of it, and if moved it would be accessible by people seated in both chairs.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Hey Laura

The one I was looking at from Costco is called Valencia. Right now, it's out of stock but the Cust. Svc. gal said they might get more. It has storage and pull out leaves for drinks. It is VERY large though and you mentioned maybe that won't work for you. I did a quick photoshop of some tables for you. You have the same situation I do with couch/loveseat and recliners. They are all big pieces and I guess that's why everyone says you need something lighter in the middle. A coffee table with legs. Here's some quick pics

Your Trunk
    {{!gwi}}

Costco Cocktail table
    {{!gwi}}

Another trunk that looks like Mimi's (my favorite)
    {{!gwi}}

One with legs from Hooker
    {{!gwi}}

• lauraa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

johnmari, you are not being rude. My oldest son eats off of that dang tray table and had put it over there without me noticing. As of right now, the tray table is with its friends in their holder. So, the tray table does not belong there.

I also agree with you about glass top. I don't think my hubby and 3 boys would be very gentle around glass either.

The room is big but we really do not have many choices on where to put the furniture. Also, I need a lot of seating because we have a lot of people in our family.

Let me see if I can post another picture of the room. This is kind of behind the overstuffed chair.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Forgot to photoshop in the one from the Magazine. I emailed the designer twice but no response. Guess she wants me to hire her before she answers my questions....imgaine that? LOL!

{{!gwi}}

• lauraa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lindy, you are so sweet. Thank you so much for doing the photoshop. The trunk that I like is not dark enough (stain) for the room. The Costco one is not the one at my Costco but I like it better than the one at my Costco. I really like the Hooker one. I also love the one that Mimi has and I do not live far from her and went to the furniture store that she bought it at and of course they do not have it any more.

Thank you again.

• gawlt
    16 years ago

Here is a trunk like table with a large drawer (vs needing to open the top.) It is a knock off of a coffee table by Century that is slightly larger and has somewhat smoother lines but sells for $7K list (although can be found for 40% - 50% off). This Palmer House table by Lexington Furniture sells for about $1.2K but I'm sure you could get it for less.

Here is a link that might be useful: Palmer House coffee table

• les917
    16 years ago

Any chance to get a few more pix of the room to see what else is in the space. It seems like there might be some other arrangement options, rather than having all the seating in a circle 'around the campfire', and then the bookcase and an end table pushed up against a wall.

You have a lovely room, so perhaps we could explore options?

The other question I have, based on the one picture, is do you need a coffeetable? I would think you would do better to have end tables by the seating, so that the room can feel a bit more open. I also don't see any lamps by the seating, and end tables could help that.

• lauraa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is a picture of one of the side tables and I will also post a picture of the room when you walk into it from the kitchen.

excuse my son's little matchbox cars on the floor.

I am also going to take a picture of the right hand corner. I have added a cabinet in that corner.

• lauraa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

one picture shows the right hand side of the room if you coming in from the kitchen and it shows the new cabinet

another picture shows the room as you are walking into it from the entry

another shows the further right side past the new cabinet, it is hubby's office

• momfromthenorth
    16 years ago

What about a round or oval coffee table to soften up the room a bit?

• kats
    16 years ago

Lindybarts,
    I don't know for sure from your picture but the table you're interested in looks very similar to one I saw where we bought our furniture. The top can be done in wood or in a slate type tile. It also had a drawer on two sides. The company is "Creative Leather" and they are out of Phoenix, Az. They also have a store in Costa Mesa, CA.
    I've put their link below but I couldn't find any of their tables on the website to show you since they sell more leather chairs and couches. It is a rustic furniture store.

Here is a link that might be useful: Creative Leather

• oceanna
    16 years ago

I will excuse the matchbox cars on the floor if you will excuse the dog crates in my bedroom. lol! When our days are numbered we know what's important to us -- family, pets, and friends. It's a smart person who recognizes that every day!

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Thanks Kats! I love the looks of that store. I think I might have been in their San Marcos store when we lived in San Diego? I wish we had more of that style up here in Portland. Sigh...!

• kats
    16 years ago

Lauraa,
    I'm sorry this isn't a trunk as it is your thread. I did want to respond to Lindybarts though. And who knows, maybe this store might have something that appeals to you.

Lindybart,
    I understand not wanting to purchase furniture sight unseen. Possibly you might call their Phoenix headquarters to see if they sell any of their furniture in the Portland area. Then you could check if this is actually the type furniture you saw pictured.
    My table is larger than your picture. It's also very rustic (rough) especially the legs. Still, I think it's similar. I like it but then we bought the second couch and I now wish I had bought a square table they had instead. To me it doesn't feel right to have two same size couches "L" positioned with an oblong table. So, I plan to go back and get a large ottoman from them for the other couch. Anyway, I do know that they had other tables with more "finished" finishes. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: More ottomans and tables

• kats
    16 years ago

Lindy,

I just realized the couch in your picture, the one your designer won't tell you where she got it, is also pictured on the link I just gave! Look at the link...second thumbnail picture from the left on the bottom row. It's the exact same couch. Your designer bought her stuff from Creative Leather....

Here is a link that might be useful: ottomans, tables and COUCH!!!

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Thanks Kats! It does look like the same one, doesn't it! I did finally get ahold of her husband who built the house and he is passing along my message to her. She only works in Oregon so I wonder if Creative Leather does sell their pieces to a distributor here somewhere. I will definitely check it out.

Lauraa, did you figure anything out with your coffee table dilemma. Didn't mean to hijack! ;c)

Lindy

• lauraa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kats, I LOVE that coffee table. I have never seen anything like that in any of our local furniture stores. I am going to look more at their website and see if maybe someone here locally carries any of their stuff. Thank you!

Lindy, I am going to go shopping this weekend and look. I hope to find something. I really wanted a new one by March because I am having a barbque for some friends daughter who is getting married. UGH, I also want to get my kitchen finished to. Nothing like a party to get you motivated!!!!

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Awesome Laura! Let me know if you stumble across any great finds.

The designer from my inspiration room just emailed me. She got that table from a furniture store in Bend, Oregon. She said she could order the same one and have it drop shipped. Hmmm? Now I have to make a decision. Here is the store although they don't have an online ordering system, you could call or email them if you see something on their site you like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mountain Comfort Bend, OR

• les917
    16 years ago

A few questions.

What is behind the closed door that is in the corner to the left of the kitchen, kind of behind the overstuffed chair?

Do you need to be able to see the TV from the kitchen?

Which seating is used most when you sit in the room?

• lauraa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Les, The closed door is a closet. We do not have to see the TV from the kitchen. If we are eating dinner or if my boys are doing homework then the TV is off. We put the TV there because that is where the cable wiring was when we moved in. A thought just hit me that the TV could go on the wall with the tall curio cabinet, where the closet is. Just thinking out loud!

We use the couch, overstuffed chair, and one of the recliners usually. There are two recliners and one you do not get a good view of the TV so nobody really likes sitting there.

Give me some ideas!

• lauraa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Les, I meant to say put the TV on the wall that the tall curio cabinet is on but not with the curio cabinet. I would have to move it somewhere else if we put the TV there.

Look at this coffee table that I found on ebay. I was searching "rustic coffee table" and found this one. I think that I lean towards a square shape.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CATALAN-RUSTIC-BROWN-WOOD-COCKTAIL-COFFEE-TABLE-STORAGE_W0QQitemZ140196543580QQihZ004QQcategoryZ38205QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• les917
    16 years ago

I thought about moving the TV to the wall by the closet as well, but not sure that is the best solution to make use of your seating.

Here is what I think I would try. Leave the couch facing the fireplace, but center it on the fireplace.

Leave the two leather chairs where they are, but move the right one in a bit so that it is more in front of the fireplace, rather than pushed back into the corner. Because the couch is now centered on the fireplace, the chairs can be as well. I would use the floor lamp left and behind the leather chair on the right side of the fireplace, and use the table and lamp by the chair on the left side of the fireplace.

Leave the TV where it is. Once you center the couch and move the leather chair left a bit, it won't feel like it is sitting in the middle of the seating group. Get some artwork on the wall above the tv, or maybe a grouping of all the framed family pix you have on the little chest and tables.

Take the the tall closed cabinet and put that where the new small chest is now.

Take the small chest with lamp and put it where the tall cabinet was. Move the overstuffed chair next to the little chest, back to the wall, to create another seating area but still allow that chair to see the tv. I think having the chair to the left of the chest would be nice, but in order to see the tv you might need to reverse that positioning. Hang some artwork on that wall, or even a mirror above the small chest would be nice.

In fact, maybe you could use the mirror that is on the mantel to hang above the chest. It feels too small on the mantel, and I think the mantel would be a great spot for a piece of colorful artwork (or a pair of framed companion art pieces). I would also get taller pillar candles in the candleholders up there, and move them to the right side of the mantel. Keep the plant on the left side for some softness and height to balance the candlesticks on the other side. The other items that are up there feel too small for the space. Perhaps they could find a home on the small chest?

• lauraa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Les, thank you so much, you have such a good eye. I have some moving around of furniture to do this weekend. I love rearranging, I just don't know where to put stuff. After I get all the furniture moved around, I will post a picture.

Thank you again!!! I am also happy that you didn't suggest moving the TV because it would probably had been a pain to move the cable wiring. Hubby would have probably said no way and then I would just get the cable company to come and do it!!!!

I do have a question. Does the couch have to sit on the rug? Can it just be touching the edge of the rug?

• lauraa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I rearranged my den this weekend. I still need to buy some decorative stuff. I was thinking a big round black framed mirror above the cabinet. Hubby made me take the pictures down of my three boys when they were babies and I hung them in my upstairs hallway.

Here are some pictures:

I couldn't move the couch anymore because we have to have a walk through.

Here is a picture of the two chairs by the fireplace. I cannot move the recliner on the left because of the door.

Should I move the floor lamp that is to the right of the tall curio cabinet?

Hubby loves what I did, it does make the room look bigger.

Give me some feedback.

• kopmom
    16 years ago

I have a "trunk table" from Wickes - it looks like the one in ebay - but is darker - a little more like your furniture. You may want to take a look there - it was very reasonable.

BTW - I love mine. We keep games and I keep candles in it. It is really nice when I have company to just a pull something out of there when we are sitting around!

Good Luck . .

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

kopmom, was it a long time ago that you got the trunk from Wickes? I was just over there and didn't see anything. I also checked their website.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner