Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaskristi_gw

Favorite he Compatible Products & Ones You Dislike

texaskristi
16 years ago

Which he FL compatible products do you love?

Ones you can take/leave?

Any you hated?

(Trying to get some recommendations on what to use in my new set before I mess anything up! =D) TIA!!!

- kristi

Comments (14)

• iasheff
    16 years ago

I use the Sears powdered detergent. I love it. I used to use Tide HE liquid and the Sears cleans as well if not better but is more economical and keeps the washer cleaner inside (I don't seem to have the film buildup that I had when I used liquid detergent!)

Are yours being delivered today? Do you have a bunch of laundry piled up to do? LOL

(remember to start out using 1/2 the recommended dosage and go from there!)

• Tracey_OH
    16 years ago

I've had my FL since June and I've had good luck with Tide Free HE, Tide HE powder, and Woolite HE for delicates. I don't like the Gain HE because it's too sudsy. The smell is great, but I just can't keep it from sudsing up like crazy.

Enjoy your new machine!

• kitchenobsessed
    16 years ago

The liquid Cheer HE gave me suds lock when I used a full dose at a high temperature an a very greasy load. The higher temps seem to bring out the suds. I won't buy this again due to the suds issue.

I have also used regular Persil, the Persil Megaperls, Ariel Bajaespuma and regular Ariel, and the unscented Sears HE powder which I haven't used yet for whites, just colors. Eliminating chlorine bleach has removed the yellowish cast from the whites. The Ariel worked well but is too highly scented for my taste. I am still working my way through the Persil after more than a year, but if I later become unhappy with the Sears performance on my whites, I will go back to the Persil. Tide is too scented for me.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

congrats on your new Fl'er! Back when, I used tide HE..I feel that is the worst ever.. residue really builds up in your clothes and machine. I found using natural organic products work the best, not only for your clothes, but it will eliminate the 'sour' smell FL'er usually get from detergent residue build up. Remember one thing with your new machine..leave the door open a little after each wash, the doors are sealed air tight which does not let air get in like the top loaders. I just bought a bag of Charlies soap, and Shaklee's " Fresh Laundry" Both are all natural..I love the way Charlies makes your clothes smell..it's just clean..no fragance, Shaklee is the same ..just clean . with my own experience, as much as I liked Charlies, I don't feel it's good at getting stains out or visible dirt. Shaklee has a nature bright that you add to your wash and it is an excellent stain remover and the whites are white.. and your clothes are clean clean!
    let us know what you end up trying... Ree

• dadoes
    16 years ago

I ran a load in my Calypso last night with Fab powder. It isn't tagged on the box as an HE detergent, but it does have specific instructions for frontloaders. It worked very well, NO excess sudsing. Note that this applies only to Fab *powder*, NOT TO THE LIQUID.

Fab powder does have a strong perfumed scent, however.

• weedmeister
    16 years ago

The GAIN I tried had a scent strong enough to knock me down.

Try a few and see what you like.

• ebear1271
    16 years ago

I use ECOS from Costco (website is ecos.com). It's all natural and with an HE machine you should get at least 210 loads for about $13.00 (if you buy it at Costco). Online is a little more expensive but well worth it. It has a built in soy based softener so the only time I use dryer sheets is when I do a polyester-heavy load.

• acomom
    16 years ago

I've only been using my FLer (Bosch Nexxt 500) for a few days now, but I've been using Method Free & Clear HE liquid (I bought it at Target but I know it's also available elsewhere). Seems to work great so far! I've been using it roughly as directed (one capful per load) and so far the clothes are coming out really clean, and I've seen no excess sudsing. I've also been using the Method "damp" dryer sheets in the new dryer. I really like them - better for the environment, the clothes, and the machine. Plus they have a nice fresh, light scent so the clothes don't come out smelling overwhelmingly perfumed, just clean-smelling.

• sr712
    16 years ago

The Sears HE Powders are the best. We bought several tubs for about $30 total, and are still using them 1 1/2 years later. What a deal! And, we do a LOT of laundry. Its worth the $19.99 to try it (on sale). A year later, you will look at the $19.99 tub, and say, "Geesh, was that a great buy, or what?!!"

Here is a link that might be useful: Sears Powder

• joyful_grower
    16 years ago

Does anyone know if that Sears Powder comes without fabric softner in it. My son is allergic to fabric softener that is used in the washer.

• sr712
    16 years ago

Sears has done an awful job with their search engine in their website. You can't find all of their detergents. However, Sears makes 3 different kinds of HE powder.

1) Ultra Plus w/Fabric Softener [Sears item # 03209860000]
    2) Ultra Plus Stain Fighting Formula [03209862000]
    3) Ultra Plus w/Oxi Clean [03209820000]

I find it in the appliance section of the store, although, some have reported seeing it in the paint department. They often put them on sale, ~$5 off a bucket. This week it looks like none are on sale.

You can find them on their website by searching for the item number, but not by searching for "detergent". Go figure.

• oregpsnow
    16 years ago

Yesterday - Wednesday - I went to Sears here in Oregon and got a big tub of the Free and Clear powder on sale for 15.99. Regular price seems to be 19.99. Tried it on only one load but so far, so good. It may be hard to find in the stores - it is hidden in the back of the paint department in my store.

• iasheff
    16 years ago

I love the Sears Ultra Plus Stain Fighting powder. We don't care for fabric softener in the washer either. It works wonderfully and economically for my family.

I find it on the Sears website by following links. It is in a subcatagory under appliances/washers. Not the easiest to find at first but once you know where to look, it is quick to get there!

• nurdlinger
    16 years ago

I have owned my first FL machine for just over two years. In that time, I have learned that I hate all liquid detergents. They are hard to measure, goop up everything, and leave a slimy residue on the interior passages of the detergent delivery chute.

As far as powders, I have used and liked: Persil (not really HE, but can work out), Ariel Oxyazul (also not HE, too scented), Sears HE Free of Perfume & Dyes (like this very well), and Tide HE. The funny thing is, I dislike heavily scented detergents such as Persil and Ariel, but Tide HE powder doesn't smell like anything to me. Lots of folks complain about its aroma. I have tried FreshStart powder which is OK but strong aroma, and Gain poweder which stunk so bad I gave it away.

So my best recommendation is Sears HE powder without perfumes & dyes, and Tide HE powder

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH