Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashlander2

Under Cabinet Lights

ashlander2
17 years ago

Posted this question on the kitchen forum as well.

Our remodel electrician proposed under cabinet lights mfg by Creative Systems Lighting - "Counter Attack" 12v Xenon or 120v Halogen. Found them on the internet at Bellacor.

Has anyone used either of those particular lights or ordered from Bellacor? Those Halogen's are supposed to be cooler due to some cooling system.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (6)

• ilitem
    17 years ago

I haven't dealt with either Creative Systems or Bellacor. However, the reason the lamps are supposed to be cooler is because they are xenon. However, I warn everyone that there is some heat. If the electrician is proposing that particular line, ask him what price he can give you for the lights themselves (not included in the installation). I would then compare the price with Bellacor. I have found that when the home owner sometimes buys things on line, they forget the small parts that are necessary and have to wait for another shipment. At times, if they tell the electrician that they are pricing it out, he can give them a price break if he has a relationship with a lighting showroom.

• DavidR
    17 years ago

Halogen, xenon, etc. are just different flavors of incandescent lamps. The difference between one incandescent lamp and another is really just a matter of degree. They all produce heat as their main product. The light is secondary. Some produce a little more light, some a little whiter light, some last a bit longer; but none is very good at providing light efficiently without melting your chocolate chips in the cabinet above.

If you want cooler, more efficient undercabinet lighting, T4 or T5 fluorescent is a better option. Specify electronic ballast and 3000K CT, 82+ CRI lamps for a pleasant light which will blend with incandescents.

• paco6945
    17 years ago

Is there one particular brand of UC fluorescent fixtures that is better than others?

• remodeler_matt
    17 years ago

I've not used the Counter Attack, but they do claim to be cooler than other similar fixtures (xenon or halogen) because of a proprietary cooling system. I've heard they do run somewhat cooler than most, but have no direct experience.

I also like T4 or T5 fluorescents for under counter. Very versatile. Pegasus has good UC fluorescents. Check the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Under Cabinet Fluorescents

• buzzz
    17 years ago

We are also in the process of installing undercabinet and overcabinet lighting in the kitchen. So all your comments have been great. I want to use fluorescent because I know they do not get very hot and they are more efficient. The biggest drawback for me is that they make a hummming sound. Is there any way of avoiding that?

• dmlove
    17 years ago

buzzz (cute screenname in connection with this question)....new fluorescents with I think they're called electronic ballasts do not hum (old ones did, new ones don't). They also don't flicker and they're instant-on.