Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
positano_gw

What do you think of my backsplash choices(pics)

positano
14 years ago

So, I found 2x6 Walker Zanger Gramercy Park in Bone(mamadadapaige's) for 19sf and Sonoma Stellar Crackle(blakey's kitchen)for 18sf. I think those are pretty good prices...I thought it would be more like $26.

The Big sample board is WZ and the small cream square is Sonoma. The other mosaics are for the range area, framed out similar to what blakey did with her calacutta gold mosaic.

I'm leaning toward the sonoma(seems to be a little lighter than the WZ and the greenish mosaic which is sonoma vihara in annika. Although it is a silk finish and the 2x6 tile is gloss(not super shiny though.)Do you think that's ok?

What are your thoughts? My whole kitchen is cream, costa esmeralda granite, touches of turquoise and some yellow.It's much more exciting in person than these pictures show!

Thanks for the opinions, it's been a year since the kitchen was finished and it's time to get a backsplash!!

Here are some photos

From backsplash

From backsplash
From backsplash

This was another option for behind the range. A handmade random mosaic. Kind of different and very soft.

From backsplash
From backsplash

The other end of my kitchen, would like to get the parsons chairs recovered in something other than cream.

From April 2009

Blakey's backsplash

From backsplash

Comments (20)

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

can you post the samples with a piece of your granite set up with them? any left over cut outs of it? I don't think the color of your granite is registering correctly on the monitor. i looked up some of that granite and most have more color that I'm seeing in yours - so I'm thinking it's the angle of your granite and the flash.

but as is I'd use the darker of the mosaics - the lighter one seems to wash out... and the smaller of the tiles (sonoma?). the silk finish sounds better. I don't like glossy anyway. I'd also be concerned about the color of it.

for the chairs - try to find some fabric in turquoise with some yellowish/greenish in it maybe. the color of the little vase/cup on your counter would be a good color for them. use that to match up the fabric.

• theresse
    14 years ago

Wow - I like them both, so much! I'm a HUGE fan of that WZ tile, mostly because it's so incredibly classy looking. That's a great price you got. I adore the WZ glossy glaze and the light crackle (not too crackly). Still considering that instead of the marble subway tile backsplash for my period steel counter. I like that the bone color isn't too white nor too creamy - it seems like it will go with all kinds of warms or cools. Frankly, I like the creamier color more for your kitchen, too. Just seems to go better, and everyone and their dogs have white. I really like the grout on the Sonoma though, cause it makes the tile look older. So now I'm asking myself how much I might like the WZ w/ the darker grout. Sorry to make this all about me - haha.

Well, you have good taste! :)

Here's a question for you: I like tiles that fit tightly together. The WZ examples I keep seeing seem to have bigger spaces between each tile when they're put together in the subway fashion. Is that just my imagination, or is the tile too bulky on the edges to allow for a tighter fit? Can't the edges be shaved off a bit so things can be more flush?

I think you can't go wrong either way, which is probably not what you want to hear!

• theresse
    14 years ago

Oh and I too like the darker of the mosaics. :)

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I don't mind the slight gloss of the cream tile with the silk mosaic, but would prefer the plain tile (which I think the WZ is?), rather than crackle with it, I think. The crackle and the mosaic seem to have their own personalities that might not go together (for me), while the plain glaze is classic and elegant, and will let the mosaic take more of a center stage position. It's a quiet showpiece, so needs quiet around it, I think.

Would a plaid or print on the chairs be too much? Something, hopefully, with the turquoise (and/or teal?), the green that's in the mosaic tile, and cream/white? And maybe a tiny thread of brown or reddish. I can see it in my head, but who knows if it exists!

• megpie77
    14 years ago

I really like your tile choices. I prefer the more green mosaic and yes I think it's ok to blend the finishes especially since they sound close. However, in the first pic it looks like the colors in the mosaic go with your granite but in some of the other pictures it looks questionable.

I noticed you have a lot of turquiose accents. Have you concidered this?-link below. It's much prettier in person!

Here is a link that might be useful: ballard design fabric

• annie.zz
    14 years ago

That's a great price for the WZ - where did you find it?
    Would you get the trim with the WZ?

I like all of them. I think if you go with the cream, with your cabinets, you need some trim or some color to add some distinction.

The WZ is a crackle - with a less sparkly finish and a more pronounced crackiness...

• positano
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to all of you for responding. I just got a new camera and I am not happy with the colors. Every thing seems much more vibrant in person. My granite is definitely green, not gray.

Teresse- not sure about the grout lines, but I know some people try to butt up the tile as close as possible for less grout lines. Look at redroze's 2x8 and mamadadapaige's WZ bone. The WZ is really beautiful.

rhome- thanks for pointing out the crackle and the mosaic. I do agree with you. The sonoma(smaller cream square) is also crackle, but it is so subtle you barely see it. WZ seems to look more handmade and old world while the Sonoma crackle is a little more modern. Still not sold on the mosaic, I was also thinking of a herringbone like mamadadapaige. Love the idea of a plaid or pattern with those colors. I am always looking!

mamadadapaige's wz gramercy park

From backsplash

Megpie- The granite and the mosaic definitely work together.The mosaic didn't photograph so well, but it has the green,gold, a touch of blue and really is so pretty.
    I just ordered a sample of this waverly outdoor fabric. Very similar to the fretwork you posted.

From backsplash

Anniezz- I found the tile at Mediterranean Tile in Fairfield, NJ. They have some gorgeous things.

• bestyears
    14 years ago

I also have CE granite counters, creamy cabs and dark wood floors. I've been looking at fabrics for roman shades and I think a couple of them would be terrific for your chairs.

One that I really like and am considering is Annie Selke's :Scramble in dark brown. I've seen it done up on furniture and I think your chairs would be beautiful in it.

Another one is Aviary...

Here is a link that might be useful: Aviary Fabric

• ridgewood_reno
    14 years ago

Love the WZ also.

Totally unrelated question. Cld you please provide details on your range. Love it.

Thanks

• positano
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bestyears, I've seen your kitchen and it turned out beautiful! Don't you just love the CE? I feel like it is so neutral. I change out my accessories with the holidays and it goes with everything. Sometimes I have blue, orange, yellow and red. Very happy with that decision.

I love the scramble fabric! That navy blue would look great in my family room. And the aviary is one of my favorites, definitely in the running. I saw parsons chairs covered in the yellow and they were gorgeous. I do have young kids, so I wanted a durable fabric, that's why I was thinking of the waverley indoor/outdoor. I also need a valance over the window.

Ridgewood- are you in Ridgewood NJ? My range is a DCS made by Fisher and Paykel. It's a 5 burner, 30 inch gas and we are very happy with it. Dh is a chef so if he likes it, it must be good. He's tough!

• bestyears
    14 years ago

YES I DO love the CE -it is exactly what I wanted, wonderfully neutral but not at all boring. Sometimes I just stare at a small part of it. So beautiful. There is a brown and white Aviary piece (4.5 yards) on Ebay right now if you are interested. I actually found the scale to be just a tad large for roman blinds. The bird is probably 10-12 inches in length. Calico Corners carries it in all of the colors if you are interested. Wish I could find a deal on the Scramble, but can't so far....

• sweeby
    14 years ago

"I like tiles that fit tightly together. The WZ examples I keep seeing seem to have bigger spaces between each tile when they're put together in the subway fashion. Is that just my imagination, or is the tile too bulky on the edges to allow for a tighter fit? Can't the edges be shaved off a bit so things can be more flush?"

We have the WZ Gramercy subways and DID shave a bit off the back side of some tiles (there's a slight pyramid shape) to allow for a closer fit. Easy to do and undetectable on the front.

Positano - I'd do exactly what Mamadadapaige did. Exactly. Maybe a subtle textured trim outlining the frame (beads?) around the herringbone section, but tone-on-tone. That tile has such delicious texture that mixing in another material would, IMO, detract from the textural elegance.

Just my two cents...

• positano
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bestyears, thanks for the tip about the fabric. One of my favorite blogs Isabella and Max Rooms used it for her kitchen valance. She is an interior designer redoing her house and she has done some beautiful rooms.

She had an amazing kitchen transformation. Painted her dark cabs cream. Click on Kitchen redesign to check it out.

Sweeby, I'm glad you like the herringbone idea. I think I've seen the light and I'm going to keep in classic. Mixing those materials might not be the best thing. This is not our forever house either, so staying classic may be the way to go.

I'm so glad you love your tile. Dh thought the WZ seemed extra shiny, do you feel that way? What color grout did you use?

Here is a link that might be useful: Isabella and Max Rooms Blog

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

I did a similar backsplash though I boxed out the square. One thing that appeals to me about my backsplash, (though I did not think about it at the time) was the contrast between the shiny crackle tile and the honed marble inset. I really is a lovely contrast and adds depth to the area.
    Here is the link Scroll down to see the backsplash

Here is a link that might be useful: Herringbone Backsplash

• pluckymama
    14 years ago

Positano,
    We finally got our backsplash up and went with the WZ Gramercy Park in Heirloom White. I got it from this company in CA for a little less than your quote: http://www.transworldtile.com/gramercypark1.htm

We are so pleased with it. It turned out just beautifully and we love the crackle glaze and the handmade old world look. I'm going away for the weekend, but I'll try to post a pic on monday so you can see. We did a straight running bond pattern and love the simplicity of it. It really is a beautiful tile and I think it would look lovely in your kitchen.

• ridgewood_reno
    14 years ago

Love the DCS stove...funny my husbadn and I are deciding between that, NXR and Bertazonni. Do love the look though. We also have cream cabinets.

I do live in NJ but in Maplewood. Cant wait to see pics with finished backsplash

• sofla
    14 years ago

I like the subway and then use the Sonoma Vihara over your beverage area as an accent.

• positano
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Pluckymama, Did you ever get any pictures of the WZ? I would love to see it. Still deciding between that and the sonoma. Dh thought the sample of the WZ was so shiny, but he is leaving the decision up to me.

I'm not doing the mosaic and was wondering if I should even do something behind the range. It's only a 30 inch and the range isn't even centered in the kitchen. It's not a huge space and I'm wondering if I should just keep it simple with the subways in a running bond pattern. I use so many accessories, colors and flowers thru the seasons. It's nice to have a neutral backdrop for that. The sonoma tile does come in 1" by 2" herringbone sheets, so I could do that behind the range. Thoughts? One salesperson thought I wouldn't really have enoough space with a 30 inch range to do mamadadapaige's herringbone with the 2x6.

Here is the picture of the 1x2 sonoma, although it's not in the right color.

• positano
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I forgot to ask willowdecor....are your herringbone tiles 1x2? Your kitchen has been a favorite of mine, and that butlers pantry is just to die for!

• pluckymama
    14 years ago

Positano,

Send me a private email.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths