Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sea1cml

Please help with recessed lighting

sea1cml
16 years ago

I've decided on Juno 5" cans for my 10x13 kitchen. I need help determining whether 6 cans are enough. I did some calculations from another link and it looks like I need 195 watts of light. I'm thinking about going with flourescent screw bulbs but like the idea of keeping my options open. I also plan to install flourescent under cabinet lighting. Here's a link to my kitchen layout and proposed lighting plan: http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2007/08/kitchen_layout_with_lights.html. I'm wondering if a couple of lights are needed for the middle of the room? I will not be adding a pendent light over the table in the breakfast nook (lower right corner) for now. I'm tapped out on decision making. The electrician will be wiring it for us and adding a coverplate so we can add something at a later date. There is also a back door in the lower left corner. I 'm wondering if it makes sense to add another light to light up that entyway?

I'm also unsure what the benefit of one baffle color is over another. I'm leaning towards white (with white trim) so that they blend into the ceiling. Am I thinking about this in the right way? What's the difference between a baffle trim and an open trim? Is it just the grooves? Here's the link to the site where I saw the different trims: http://www.csnstores.com/nobot/White-l265-c45466-A2172%7E4479-A2333%7E4827-A2345%7E4888-A2173%7E4481.html

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (8)

• Jon1270
    16 years ago

Take those "watts per square foot" types of calculations with a big grain of salt. Light outputs for different sizes and types of bulbs at a given wattage vary widely, which is why light is measured in lumens -- not watts.

I'm more comfortable doing the calculations for incandescent bulbs, but I'll take a stab at this. With 5" cans I'd assume you might use R-30 CFLs. These seem to typically be 15 or 16 watts, and produce 660 or so lumens. I think six of those in a room might seem a little dim; I'd like to see about 8. You could place a couple towards the center of the room, but switch them separately so that you don't always have to use them.

Since the range hood is likely to have it's own lights,I don't think I'd cram in the one in front of the stove. The hood will also, assuming it sticks out over the cooktop, cast a shadow if there's a light overhead like that.

• sea1cml
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your feedback! We will definitely add the other two.

If we were to add incandescent bulbs, what would be your suggestion on bulbs?

Is there a special dimmer gadget needed to have the option of dimming incandescent or fluorescent bulbs (depending on which we end up using)?

• Jon1270
    16 years ago

I didn't mean to imply that incandescent bulbs would be preferable, only that I know more about them. 5" cans will typically accept PAR-30 halogen bulbs. Some can/trim combinations can take 75 watt bulbs, some only 50 watts. The 50-watt PAR bulb would produce about the same amount of light that the R30 fluorescents do, but use three times as much electricity and produce a tighter beamspread. The 75-watt version would produce almost twice as much light.

Dimming incandescents is easy - pretty much any old dimmer will do. Dimming fluorescents is trickier, and whether it's possible depends on the ballast that drives the bulb. Screw-in CFLs each have their own individual ballast, which is housed in the plastic base that the ends of the tubes plug into. If you want to dim CFLs, you need to buy special "dimmable" bulbs. It's my understanding that some can be dimmed with common, everyday dimmers and that some require a special type of dimmer, but this really isn't one of my stronger areas of understanding.

• svwillow1
    16 years ago

Our kitchen was aprox. 11' x 11' with an 8' ceiling, and we used five 5" Juno recessed cans. One on either side of the stove and one on each side of the sink. These cans were centered over the edge of the counter tops. The fifth can was centered on the refer and placed about where the center of the bottom freezer drawer would be when opened. This also tended to place it near one of the doorways into the kitchen.

We used 5 75watt halogen Par wide floods on a dimmer. The trims were the Juno Airlock: White Rim with Wheat Haze cone. We do have two pendants over the peninsula as well as some under cabinet lights. Even without these, the five cans give us plenty of task lighting with little, if any dark spots or shadows, and when dimmed nice ambient light. The trims we chose, while a bit expensive, really reduce glare, and blend in nicely with the ceiling.

• uyenster
    16 years ago

The lighting layouts at this website helped me think about my space, although I used different fixtures. In our 9'x14'-4" galley kitchen with laundry at end wall, we used (6) 5" juno cans and xenon undercabs everywhere. My lighting designer friend approved the layout & did not recommend centering the cans over the counter b/c in my application, the cans are the ambient lights and the undercabs are the task lights.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.lightingplans.com

• DavidR
    16 years ago

Philips makes retrofit CFs that can be dimmed with an ordinary triac dimmer. I haven't used the R-flood type, but have had good service from some of the exposed lamp type.

Consider using exposed CFs rather than R-flood enclosed CFs. They're much cheaper and may have a better light distribution, depending on what kind of cans you use.

You might think they'll look odd, but after the first week or two you probably won't even notice them any more. A friend of mine uses them in recessed cans and none of her guests has ever commented about them.

• Jon1270
    16 years ago

David, what sort of trims have you used to get the most out of the spiral bulbs?

• DavidR
    16 years ago

I don't know what they are, as these aren't in my own house. I'll try to remember to check the next time I go over there.