Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Bought a pair of Baker bergere chairs, need paint help ASAP (pics

Valerie Noronha
16 years ago

Things are finally starting to come together with my living room. My sofa from Calico Corners came in and my drapes are ready to be installed as soon as I give the OK, but the best news of all is that I stumped on an estate (i.e or rather divorce) sale on Friday and picked up some amazing stuff. I found a lovely pair of Baker bergere chairs (his and hers with ottomans), a Baker mahogany game table and a mirror. I could've never afforded this kind of quality new so I am thrilled. The fabric on the chairs is spotless and the chairs have all the nailhead trim so I am not going to reupholster. All I feel needs to be done is to add some new Down stuffing in the top cushions. I've checked and they are zippered so I think this will be easy, though will defer to the collective wisdom on this board.

The most pressing concern now is: should I paint? The crown will be going in the latter part of next week (as I wanted to put the crown in before the drapes) so the best opportunity to paint would be in the next few days. Due to the flow of the rooms, I would need to paint the living room and entry the same color. This is open to my dining room which is a neutral wheat/oat color.

I would really love some suggestions for paint colors as well as some photoshopped choices if anyone is willing to help me. DH thinks the paint looks great and I shouldn't bother so being able to show him some different options would really help. The rooms are northern exposure so don't get a lot of natural light so I don't want to go too dark, but I was thinking maybe terra cotta?

Here are some pics of the pieces:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

drapery material:

{{!gwi}}

The red in the pic is for the leading edge trim of the drapes:

{{!gwi}}

Here is the table and mirror in my entry way though I think I like the table better as a sofa table:

{{!gwi}}

Comments (48)

• budge1
    16 years ago

WOW!! I can't believe how nicely they go with what you've already been looking at. Really nice.

I just restuffed our sofa cushions and it was really easy. I bought down/feather pillow forms in a few sizes and stuffed them in until it looked/ felt right. Not sure if you have a Jysk store near you (or maybe they are just a Canadian thing) but they have great down pillow forms for very low prices.

• redbazel
    16 years ago

Val, you scored again! And I hope that you got a great enough deal that it totally made up for the Ebay failure? The chairs and the table are beautiful. I would love all this stuff myself. (You better be careful, next time I'm up your way, I may email you so I can stop and see all in person. Oh. I would also need coffee!)

Terra Cottas are hard. They can be amazing, but they are hard. I have the BM chip for Salmon Stream which is a featured Pottery Barn color right now, but not sure I dare to go this way. Would you tell me what the darker color is on your fireplace wall? From the shot on my monitor, the picture with the new chair and maybe a piano on the other wall, I really love this green blue(??) with your stuff. It sets off your fireplace moldings, looks awesome with your chair, highlights the light shade of your sofa, and I think your new drapes will look good with it. Any chance at all of just painting the other walls in the same?

Red

• les917
    16 years ago

I love the color on the fireplace wall. What about doing all the other walls something a couple of shades up from that? I would leave the coral/terra cotta tones to be used as accents in the room. I think you might have trouble finding a coral or terra cotta that you would really love with the flooring.

I think the table is okay as a sofa table, but feels a bit small. Seems like a great fit in the entry space! I would look for an oval or arched top mirror to use over it, to pick up on the curves of the table and the fixture above it. The rectangular one feels too small and not curvy enough.

What a lovely room this is going to be!

• teacats
    16 years ago

How about Restoration Hardware's Silver Sage?

Or for a rich darker room -- Benjamin Moore's "Copper Clay" (#2172-10)

Or perhaps Sherwin Williams "Different Gold" (#6396)

Just some thoughts after checking on their websites ....

LOVE your new chairs -- simply gorgeous! :)

• bristlingacres
    16 years ago

Hmmm...I just LOVE that furniture you got! It's beautiful! That room will look gorgeous when you're done with it!

I agree with the comments Les made regarding the wall color and the mirror above the table.

I can't wait to see the finished room!
    Astrid

• amysrq
    16 years ago

Do you have Farrow & Ball near you? Look at Red Earth and Loggia. Really beautiful terra cotta colors. Don't bother looking at the F&B website...the samples look pink!

• teeda_2006
    16 years ago

Val, those chairs are stunning, as is the table. I am so happy for you--you totally deserve finding these after the horrible Ebay disappointment. I am just drooling away as I look at them . . .

I like teacats suggestion of "Different Gold". I do like the green color you now have, but feel that the chairs disappear against it. Also agree that you should stay away from the terra cotta.

By the way, that sofa is perfect as well (don't think I've seen a picture of it until now).

• reno_fan
    16 years ago

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!

Val, those are *gorgeous*. I'm fifteen shades of green right now!

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

budge1: Thank for the tip about stuffing the cushions. I didn't think of just using the pillow inserts, but it would be easy to just break open and add to the insert there and restitch.

les: Did you notice they are turquoise??? I think you have great instincts for design and color. You are right about the terra cotta and floor not going together, though I will add my next purchase is going to be an oriental floor rug for this room. I'm trying to go step by step and not make too many more mistakes after my eBay fiasco. I just feel the chairs go almost too well with the fireplace wall color as does the sofa with the other walls and I'm not making the most of it. The idea of a gold is also appealing as teacats and teeda mentioned. What do you think? It would need to also look well with the dining room walls which are (Behr Oat Straw):

{{!gwi}}

red: Not sure if I got a "steal" or not, though compared to new, I guess you could say it was good--and significantly less than what flyingflower got for her bergere chair and we are both in the Bay Area. I think the dumpy upper cushions probably drove down the price, though since they are zippered, it didn't bother me. They had an estate agency running the sale and they priced everything, I made an offer on the lot I wanted and the guy countered and I accepted. And, if you are every in the Bay Area, do send me an email as I'd love to have you over for coffee (or tea) and a chat.

teacats/teeda: I like the idea of the Different Gold. I will check it out. Do either of you have any pictures of rooms done in that color?

astrid: Thanks for the complements and suggestions. The only think that is making me hesitate putting the table in the entry is that it does not quite butt up to the wall, but that is secondary now until after the painting, crown and drapes.

reno_fan: I was green when I saw the ones you snagged from Craiglist. Did you ever get them?

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

squirrel and any other photoshop experts: Pls, pls, pretty please could you photoshop in some different colors for me to visualize? I want to go to the paint store tomorrow to get some samples and need some direction which way to go.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here's a bunch of stuff to look at ... I did repaint the woodwork in a creamier white though, and put your swatches on the back of the chair because it wasn't showing up very well and the color seemed incorrect.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Great job as always, Squirrel! I like the second one down and just stopped scrolling dead in my tracks to gape at it, it's so pretty.

Val, your furniture finds are fabulous! I think this room is going to be very ooolala.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Thanks, Oceanna! Wow, looks like I really messed up doubling all my pics, but I think they are actually different, just not ordered very well : ] Those last blues are actually the softer ones I did at the end. Whaddaya want at 3am.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, squirrel. I didn't expect anything at 3AM--only bumped it hoping for a morning response. My current thought is to get rid of the accent wall all together and just paint the whole living room and entry the same color. Some of them look like they match to the little coral/rust colored flowers in the drapes which was one color I was thinking about.

Where do you get your colors? I was wondering if perhaps a gold would work better--like S.W. Different Gold ro Restrained Gold or Blonde; or LA Gold #3 or BM Decateur Buff or Willimgton Tan. It just needs to blend in with the dining room wall color plus that lighter shade in the living room which is in my hallway. Also, needs to look good with the travertine floor and surround. Here is a better pic of my entryway where it opens up to the dining room so we can compare how the two colors work together.

{{!gwi}}

I find the lighter shade does not show up the trim well. The trim will not be repainted since it goes throughout the house and was just painted so we have to work with that shade of white (Swiss Coffee).

I am really color challenged. I'm really hoping to get a bit of a consensus to go in a particular direction. Could you post a few golds? (But have your coffee first!)

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

OK, you have me motivated to get off my duff and start hitting estate sales and auctions again. (Used to go all the time but life got in the way ;)

I LOVE that Baker table, what a find!!!! ;D

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Moon, maybe you have some specific colors you can show her in the golds -- I'm brain dead :) and just have Squirrel-y mixes anyway.

?

• teacats
    16 years ago

Squirrel -- brillant virtuals as always! :)

Yes -- I'm voting for a deeper richer gold so far ......

Boy!! Finding a terracotta color online wasn't easy -- some shades were a bit too orange and other ones looked way too pink ..... I think that you would have to go with a tea-stain glaze over a color. JUST an observation and thought process because I really didn't know that terracotta was such a complex shade and tint ......

Just a discussion point ..... not a judgement in any way, shape, form, color, or shade ...... LOL!!

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

Gorgeous, gorgeous!! Love your new finds!! How awesome - we just very bad country stuff on our CL!!

Your sofa looks very pretty, also.

Okay - you are not going to like this....I think you should paint your DR the same color as your accent wall in the LR!! It would pull the color of the chairs to your DR. It would just make your built-in and furniture look so good.
    Go for the deeper gold all around the room in your LR. That way you have 2 stronger colors balanced by the more neutral entrance. I am afraid if you do your LR deeper it will seem heavy on one side _ does that make any sense??

It seems like you are going for the understated & classy look for this room. I, IMO, don't think the terracotta will take you there.

Lookin' good, girl!
    Smiles:)

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

#7 above is the one that made me go "Ooooh, that's pretty!" (FWIW!)

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

jonatemp: Interesting thought--painting the dining room. Unfortunately, that color does not match exactly with the granite that I have on my built-in in the dining room which looks like:

hoosiergirl: #7 is the one that is more gold which is what I am currently considering.

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

Val,
    I think that color would look fab with that granite!! Make it POP!! Love those big chunky quartz pieces in your granite!!

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

At this point I am considering painting all of the ivory colored walls in Laura Ashley Gold #3. I saw some lovely pics of it over on the gallery and picked up a paint chip today when I was at Lowe's. I'm still not sure about whether to keep the accent wall or not, but it seemed as least some here liked the color and with still so many unknowns (i.e. rug, drapes installed, furniture layout and wall decor) I thought for now I could keep it as is. It will not be too big a deal to paint later.

Here are some pics of the colors all together. I had ordered some cushions in the paisley fabric for the sofa--which I may or may not use. I was also thinking I could get some bolster style cushions for the chairs in an accent color.

{{!gwi}}
    This second picture shows the colors along with the Oat Straw (center) which is in the dining room and Cozy Cottage--the ivory color which is presently in the living room/entry areas. I'd really prefer to keep Oat Straw in the dining room due to the overall flow of the house, from dining to kitchen to family. Having more of a neutral color works best to tie all the rooms together.
    {{!gwi}}

• flyingflower
    16 years ago

You've scored some very nice pieces of furniture. How did you come across this estate sale? Do you find them through the paper or were you driving around and happened to see a sign? I've been trying to figure out how one goes about finding estate sales and auctions.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Your room is going to be fabulous when finished. Congratulations on finding those chairs. That's a one in a million blessing!!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

That LA Gold looks beautiful. Sorry no ps'ing occurred. I, myself, crashed after no sleep last night and woke up with a migraine not too long ago :(

I'd think you could do a really pale washed out terra cotta type color and still get the understated look, but the floors might be a problem, depending. The gold is nice too.

That's such a pretty fabric and color on the chairs. Can you share what they went for? I'd love to go see some estate sales and see what goes on, too.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

flyingflower: I found out about it on Craiglist which I still check failrly regularly--sometimes doing random searches like "antique." As I'm usually pretty busy with family/kid's activities on the weekend, I did notice a few that started on Friday. The first I checked out was a total bust and this one was very close to JC Pennys which I had to go there anyway. I do notice estate sales advertised on CL starting on Thurs and while there are no pics, there is often a list of items. This one mentioned the Bergere chairs which caught my eye. This was the first time I had went out. I think it is really a toss up--though perhaps in the nicer neighborhoods there is better stuff. I imagine it was different that this was more of a "divorce" sale than an elderly person dying.

squirrel: Since you asked, the "his" chair listed for $395, "hers" for $275, game table for $450 and mirror for $45. Everything has all the Baker labels as I checked and they showed them to me. Later, I found another old tag (I think original) on the game table listings an appraisal of $2,700, sales price of $2,100! I noticed someone else making an offer which was accepted so I decided to offer $1,000 for all and the estate salesperson countered with $1,050 which I accepted. As it was the morning of the first day, he said has was a little less willing to reduce prices too much, but I did notice they had another ad on Sunday prices were 25-50% reduced. I was a bit curious to go back as they had some other nice stuff, but at the same time they were not such a good fit for my space as these were.

• redbazel
    16 years ago

Good job, Val. And a good description of your process.

Red

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Good golly, Miss Molly. That is truly an amazing story. Do you mean the original store tag on the game table was $2700/$2100 or that was some sort of an appraisal otherwise. So much for appraisals if it went for $450. Is that what's behind your sofa now?

Good shopping! I must check out estate sales, as we certainly have some great old places around here. Although, I'd have nowhere to put anything! Always window shopping :(

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

SQH and Val the request for PS help slipped past me. (Hope your migraine is better, they are not fun :/ ) I tried to do a little and my software has crashed twice now with a memory error. I'll give it a rest and try one more time in a bit.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I think she's actually made a selection -- LA Gold 3.

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

Oh, geez, I'm such an airhead. I spent almost an hour working on a base photo and dealing with software crashes till I saw she's already got a color! Good grief, I need to pay closer attention (and get more sleep)!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Me too! It's a lot to keep up with though with the way these threads fly around :) Maybe she'd like to see a deeper gold. I believe she was contemplating that.

• les917
    16 years ago

Very pretty fabrics! You HAVE to use the paisley - it has the small four petal design in it that is in the chair fabric - a great connectivity!

I really like the idea of you keeping the accent wall for now. I think it will keep the room from feeling too gold - at least in the pix here, your floor is very golden in tone too, and having something to break that up and cool it down a bit might be nice. As you say, you can always change that wall later.

Can't wait to see it all together!

• onourway2nc
    16 years ago

Valinsv, you have a great eye for color and design. Those are beautiful finds and at such great prices, I only hope I can find a few things like these on my estate rounds this weekend.

If I'm reading this correctly, you're doing the terracotta as an accent wall, right? Any of them look good on my monitor and are definitely a great punch of color with the chairs and other fabrics. I also love the paisley for the design and how it coordinates with the others you've chosen. What a fantastic room this is going to be, can't wait to see the finished pics!

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

moonshadow: I would love to see anything you've put togther. I have the LA Gold #3 and #4; but was thinking of heading over today to SW to look at their samples of the Different Gold since I read on another thread some weren't too happy with the quality of the Lowe's paint.

les: I am thrilled you've given the paisley the stamp of approval. I ordered the cushions back when I thoughy my eBay chairs would work and I would recover and so I had selected a stripe material to go on the chairs. Then, as I'm sure you know the chairs did not work out, and when I saw these Baker ones, it was too sweet to let go. I think I'll keep the wall as it's the only non-neutral wall color in the whole house. Once I select a rug, I feel I will have more direction where this is headed. In a few weeks, I'll post an update when the walls are painted, drapes are hung and the crown installed and hopefully will get some suggestions for rugs. I have the drapes scheduled for installation a week from Thurs and the installer will be bringing my pillows as well.

squirrel: It's an original sticker from Baker, labeling it "Historic Charleston Server" listing "value" and "our price" as well as some other details about the table. Go figure. There is no way I'd spend $2-3K on a single accent table. I can't seem to verify the age on these pieces though I looked for dates. I'd be curious if anyone has any guesses. The table has some scratches along the top, but it only adds character to the piece IMHO. The fabric is in pristine condition as is the wood on the chairs. As I had mentioned above the only thing that shows the age is that the upper pillows are lumpy. I do have some extra Down accent pillows I bought at Kohl's for some temporary decor over the holidays I was thinking of opening up and stuffing the contents into the contents of these inserts--after paint.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

After talking it over with DH he didn't like the idea of the gold--not enough contrast with drapes and sofa, plus it's not different enough to the Oat Straw in dining/kitchen/family. I feel there is not enough contrast with the Cozy Cottage ivory color and the trim and with crown molding being added we should give the trim more of a punch. What we agreed on was to repaint the entry which connects the living to dining in Oat Straw as is in the dining and then bring in more color in the living room since the sofa/drapes are already in the ivory/gold colors. I will add that I definitely plan to cover a large portion of the hardwood floor with an oriental rug. Ideally I know I should have the rug picked out, but logistically it makes more sense to paint now and I don't want to rush into a rug decision since I know that will be a big ticket expense--no CL deals there most likely since I will need to work around my color scheme.

So, at this point, I think we are back to the terracottas. I'm heading over to Sherwin Williams today and if anyone has any names of colors to look at, send them my way. I believe budge1 had a room done in that color at one point and may've even had hardwood floors. I will try if I can search out the old thread where she was discussing reupholstering her chairs and had posted some pics. If anyone else remembers and can post a link I would appreciate it.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Found it. Does anyone think a color to budge1's would work?
    I noticed she also has hardwood floors in her room, though her fabric colors are different.

budge1: If you are reading this, do tell what the wall color is

Here is a link that might be useful: Budge1's wall color

• budge1
    16 years ago

Valinsv, I just emailed you about the wall colour.

And thank you for scrounging up that thread. I had been searching for it but thought it must have scrolled off. I've been having major second thoughts about that fabric. What was I thinking?! Of course rereading the thread I notice everyone saying I should go with a neutral and add the floral in the cushions, but at the time just registered that they liked the fabric. This is our biggest furniture purchase ever and I think I may have screwed up royally. Enough about me. I love the way the terracottas look with your fabrics and in the photoshopping. I've always had good luck taking my fabric samples into the Ben Moore dealer near us and getting them to help me pull out good colour matches.

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

I couldn't help myself, but I started pulling Terracotta colors even though you thought you had decided on the LA Gold 3,(which I have). Anyway, here are a few, including some on the coral-y side as well, in case the terracotta seemed too much. What I would do, is take that gorgeous terracotta color material and try to find something that matches that and then go one or two shades lighter, for a ballpark. Here you go:
    BM Soft Glow 014
    {{!gwi}}
    BM Persimmon
    {{!gwi}}
    Rich Coral 028
    {{!gwi}}
    Fiery Opal077
    {{!gwi}}
    Baked Clay035
    {{!gwi}}

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, kmcg85. I'm really embarassed to say what I'm going to do, because honestly, my mind is not made up! At this point, though I'm going to first go to CC to get a larger sample of the drapery fabric. There are some coral/rust colored flowers in it, but my sample does not have it. Then the back side of the fabric for the chairs shows the terracotta colored thread that is woven through it. I will take those two colors as a starting point and try to find a color that works with that over at Benjamin Moore. I have the colors budge1 mentioned as well as yours to help get me started.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Curious what's happening with the CC fabric ordered for the eBay chairs?

• les917
    16 years ago

I love intense terra cotta and coral colors, and certainly they work with the wonderful fabrics you have chosen, but I really am not crazy about them with the color of the wood floor, at least not in the photoshop pix that were done here.

I am also wondering if the drapery and upholstered pieces will lose some of their impact in the room with that much color on all the walls.

Perhaps a soft version of those colors might work better. Looking forward to seeing the paint samples up on the wall.

• parma42
    16 years ago

If you are heading to a Sherwin Williams store why don't you pick up a sample of "Cavern Clay". One of their brochures called "Concepts in Color" oranges (funny how ochre, rust and terra cotta sound so much better than orange)has it shown in a room. I am going to be using it in my master bath. My house I just moved from had a Ralph Lauren suede treatment in a rust color that everyone raved about. They said they never would have thought about a color like that but they loved it. It was in my master bedroom and I think it helped sell the house which was a tough thing to do in this market.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I'd do a softer version too.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you everyone for bearing with me as I wade through all the different options.

budge1: glad to hear I am no alone in second guessing all my decisions. Do give us all an update!

I certainly have not made any decisions. I bought a yard of drapery fabric at CC because I wanted to see all the colors in the fabric and I know that is part of my indecision. I'm also thinking of making a couple of bolster cushions for the bergere chairs with the material. BTW, squirrel, I never bought any chair fabric. The chairs were always meant to be a focal point and if you recall, many of the fabrics I was considering were $$.

I brought in all fabrics and swatches of the existing wall colors to get their opinion as computer monitors can be deceptive. They first off suggested a gold, but did see the issue of it looking good near the Oat Straw--since both are neutrals, one with more green, the other with more yellow. Then they suggested going a shade darker than the sofa/drapes, but didn't seem too enthused about a terra cotta.

At BM, I fould a lovely shade of terra cotta, audubon russet; that is until the salesperson told me it would be too intense to put on all the walls. If I took it a shade less, we would then be thinking about pink. He started steering me towards Wilmington Tan and Tyler Taupe. He liked Tyler Taupe the best as he felt it blended well with all my fabrics plus the Oat Straw. Unfortunately, they were out of the sample paint for Tyler Taupe though it will come in tomorrow and they don't make it in Willington Tan so I'd have to buy a quart. So, tomorrow I plan to go again and pick up some samples, In the meantime, here are the swatches for you to see. The russet is to the upper left near the flower (I tried to match to that), and then left to right are: Willmington Tan, Oat Straw, Tyler Taupe, and False Cypress.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I am so confused right now which direction to go--everyone seems to have a different take on it. At this point, I do know I want to paint the entry--the living room I am still at a loss. The more I see the fabrics together the more I like them. I just need something to tie it all together at the same time be an accent to the trim which is in Swiss Coffee. I know these are not on the wall, but perhaps you can take a look and at least let me know if I'm headed in the right direction and which samples to buy.

• kabergs
    16 years ago

I love your new furniture pieces, what a great find! I like the middle color in the last picture, just to the left of the blueish color chip. Is that the Tyler Taupe?

I keep going right to that one each time I look at the pictures. Good luck at the paint store tomorrow!

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kabergs: Yes, it is. The colors it is paired with are already on my walls--the one to the left in my dining room and we were trying to get something that is different from that since site lines will be visable. The one on the right is the fireplace accent wall--which we may/may not keep, depending on how it all flows. The colors are the same between the two top pics, though the angle/lighting was different--it could look like either one depending on light conditions/time of day, etc.

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

Val,
    My vote is for the Tyler Taupe from the pics!! I really like that rich color. I have Wilmington tan thru-out my house and sometimes feel it is alittle washed out in my sitting room(which has the same fabric as your sofa)

I also have Mystic Gold in my DR, which is a bronzy kinda color. It might be a good fit, also, if the Tyler Taupe doesn't work out.

On the kidney pillows, what if you did one side in the vine and the other in the solid russet?? That way you can flip as you desire?? Find a really cool fringe with all your colors - Calico should have some in stock. I did that in my den - with a button in the middle on the kidneys & I like it b/c I can change the fabric with a flip!!

You've come a long way, baby!! I am loving seeing your room come together. My sitting room was my "left-over" room so I have had to "make do."