Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shepherd209

Lazy Susan aftermarket Install

shepherd209
11 years ago

Hi All,

Has anyone successfully installed a lazy susan into a cabinet with fixed shelves on their own? I am ordering two 36" corner cabinets and it is significantly cheaper to install these on our own instead of getting them directly from the factory. Our dealer states that it cannot be installed after the fact because the cabinet shelf is fixed and cannot be moved. We would try to install prior to counter tops going in.

Does anyone have any comments on whether this is possible or not? I listed the link for the shelf I am considering below..

http://www.pullsdirect.com/rev-a-shelf-ld-4bw-401-32sbs-1-lazy-daisy-banded-wood-32-kidney-shaped-lazy-susan-single-shelf-set/p1573925

Comments (6)

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

There was a really cool thread on this a little while ago - I found it! It was Bellsmom and she did this to the upper cabinet but you can see what she did - I hope to do it do our upper cabinets downstream
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg092152382092.html

This post was edited by a2gemini on Fri, Jan 25, 13 at 7:22

• shepherd209
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a2gemini- thank you for the link! We are hoping to install to a base corner cabinet. I'm not sure if this will be possible if the middle shelf is not removable?? I'm concerned about not being able to fit the susan in if the shelf is attached. The top shelf wouldn't be an issue with the countertop not yet attached...

• steelcfo
    11 years ago

In our kitchen remodel we used the perimeter cabinets, only designing and putting in a new island. The doors and the face frames of the perimeters were still in good shape and to conserve on budget for other items, we chose to upgrade the interiors of the perimeter cabinets. All of them had fixed shelves. We did put in a supersusan in the corner base, as well as pullouts in all the other cabinets. In order to install the supersusan, I had to remove the back of the corner cabinet. Since mine was already in place (but the new counters were not installed yet), I removed one of the cabinets next to the corner so that I could slide the corner cabinet out in order to remove the back. Since it sounds like you have not installed your cabinets yet, you could install the susan before. Unfortunately, I did not take pictures of the process, but it was not that difficult as you will never see the back of the cab once it is installed. Just make sure that when you put the back of the cabinet on again that you keep the strength/integrity of the back in order to support your counter. Good luck, it was a fun project and so glad we did this. The cabinet holds almost 50% more than the fixed shelf and nothing gets lost in the back.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

I agree with what Steelcfo said.

When I was researching susans for my retrofit wall cabs, I do remember seeing somewhere a lazy susan turntable designed especially to be retrofitted into an existing fixed shelf base cabinet. This susan came in two half-circles which were inserted separately (or maybe they folded? Can't remember for sure) , then joined somehow and attached to the bearing and the shelf.

I will see if I can find this again.

Another alternative: Can you ask the builder NOT to include a shelf? Just the cabinet shell?

Since you are handy enough to install your own cabs, it should be pretty easy for you to make and insert a plywood shelf, either fixed or moveable (my choice), after you put the bottom susan in place. Then put a second susan on the shelf.

• karin_mt
    11 years ago

Agree with Bellsmom - see if you can get the cabinet without shelves. I can't imagine how you could get new Susans in with fixed shelves. We just had our Super Susans added to existing cabs yesterday. It was tricky but doable. Our builder at one point had to practically stuff himself inside the cabinet to get the upper shelf and Susan installed. While doing so he called out to DH "I am not having fun in here!"

I was at work so I missed the drama. But I love the new Susans and am happily pondering what to do with all the new space.