Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kntryhuman

Where can I find an old floor furnace grill?

kntryhuman
15 years ago

I'd like to put a floor furnace grill (non working) in the floor of my old house that I'm renovating but I'm having trouble finding one.

Does anyone know where I might look?

Comments (15)

• antiquesilver
    15 years ago

Have you tried a salvage yard?

• sarahandbray
    15 years ago

Off the top of my head, I think Rejuvenation has them, Lee Valley Hardware, and there's another old house parts magazine I get...I'll look later for the name of it.

I think they're called "registers."

Good luck!
    Sarah

Here is a link that might be useful: Rejuvenation heat register

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Salvage yards or eBay. I got all mine on eBay:

eBay search for register vents

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

Why does it have to be a floor furnace grill; those things were pretty awful weren't they? Can't you just get a large return air floor register/grill from an old house that had a gravity hot air system? Or you can buy reproductions made to size. This stuff is all over the internet.

• worthy
    15 years ago

As here.

If you've moved to a modern system, why not just patch the hole in the floor. That's one bit of authenticity that won't be missed.

I use the mid-size grilles as access panels to bubble air and whirlpool motors and am planning to use the grilles over modern wall cold air returns.

• kntryhuman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm not using this as a source of heat. I just wanted to put the grill for decoration.

There are some very ornate and pretty grills.

I found one on eBay. I'll know in about 30 minutes if I got it.

• kathleenca
    15 years ago

Gee, you aren't cutting a hole in a good wood floor to display a non-functioning grille, are you?

Grilles are not easy to walk on & can bend; you want to be sure it's not in a traffic path.

• kntryhuman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have to pull up the original floor in the hall and replace the wood with wood I pulled out of a bedroom. I'm going to recess the register to be level with the new hardwood.

I just think it will look very good and was probably built about the same time as the house.

I'll post a pic later.

• kntryhuman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have to pull up the original floor in the hall and replace the wood with wood I pulled out of a bedroom. I'm going to recess the register to be level with the new hardwood.

I just think it will look very good and was probably built about the same time as the house.

I'll post a pic later.

• worthy
    15 years ago

I'm all for bringing back coal stoves and coal gas lighting for more touches of 19 th Century authenticity.

• kimcoco
    15 years ago

Try 'Restoration Hardware'. I've had luck finding vintage style items that I could not locate elsewhere.

Good luck

• heimert
    15 years ago

Reggio is another company to look at. They have a wide selection of registers in various metals and wood. I believe they can make them custom sized, but they say something in their catalog about that being really expensive .

• cjphilly
    15 years ago

In case you're still looking, I would HIGHLY recommend checking out an architectural salvage place. I just replaced mine last week; I think I paid $35 for a heavy duty 10x14 register w/louvers. Brought it home, sanded and spray painted and it looks awesome. If you're in or around Philly I'd recommend checking out Re-store, they had a good selection of registers.

• bspofford
    15 years ago

There's one at the house where I grew up. Mnay memories of standing on it on a cold morning, letting the warm air blow up my nightgown..........

• allison1888
    15 years ago

Try this group of suppliers -- really cool stuff for us old house fanatics.

Here is a link that might be useful: old house suppliers

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio