Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michoumonster

what chaise to freshen up these chairs?

michoumonster
10 years ago

Hi everyone, i have a pair of orange leather armchairs. they look kind of like this pic.
in general, we like contemporary/eclectic, but the armchairs feel more traditional i think. they are super comfy though, so i want to use them in my living room along with a chaise or loveseat of some sort.
i would love to freshen up the look a bit with the new piece of furniture and accessories.
What color and styles would you choose to go with the armchairs?

thank you for your suggestions!!

Comments (39)

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

michoumonster it would really help to see your chairs in your room to get an idea of what would work in your room and not with just chairs that are similar to yours.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for the suggestion justgotabme. here is my actual space.
    my walls are creamy white, floors are oak. I cannot paint, but need curtains eventually.

i also have a sort of traditional bookcase in there too which will stay put as it is very heavy and only works there.
    i just got a bunch of lamps to experiment, but any of them can go. the small side table in between the chairs is just an ikea table (probably will go once i find something better).

i also have a piano in the room in the corner next to the bookcase.
    so i need a loveseat or chaise for the opposite wall.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Thank you michoumonster that really helps.
    I think you could go either contemporary or traditional with the furniture and your chairs. I really like your chairs better than the one you shared first.
    Here's a couple styles of chaises I think would work.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by justgotabme on Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 22:48

• amykath
    10 years ago

I would go with a love seat. I think that two chairs and a chaise might not feel right. Just my two cents.

This one is from West Elm.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

There are enough hard surfaces in the roof with the walls, floor, credenza & leather chairs. I would recommend adding a fabric sofa. Maybe adding a shade of green/blue to complement the lovely wood tones & leather in the room. Just some ideas. A rug of some sort could help big time.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks everyone. i agree, maybe i should look into a fabric since it feels like too much leather and wood in there. i was leaning towards a chaise because it will be in a corner. what about a one-armed chaise?

would a more sofa-like chaise like this one look better with the armchairs?

or something more feminine like this one?

what colors go well with orange? would beige be too boring? would you put color in the chaise or the rug? i was thinking seagrass might be nice, but maybe it will not be colorful enough..

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

michoumonster, I was looking for something similar to the first one you posted, but couldn't find it. If it's going against a wall you could always buy large pillows so it could be used as a loveseat too.
    I also very much like the low profile arms on the sofas Beverly shared. The natural fabric with blue would look great with the pumpkin color of your leather chairs.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks justgotabme. i think you and beverly both suggested going with blues? do you think if i get a plain beige or cream sofa or maybe a grey, then just put some blue pillows that would work? i am hesitant to go with a colored sofa just in case i want to move it to another room.
    so a loveseat or the more sofa-like chaise wins the votes?
    thank you for the help! i am not knowledgeable or confident of color theory, etc and so have trouble committing, lol!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

michoumonster, from experience I'd most definitely go with a neutral couch. My preference would be beige. Unless blue happens to be your all time favorite color and you know you won't tire of it, it's best to go neutral. It's much easier, and less expensive, to change out accessories than upholstered furniture.
    Blue is opposite orange on the color wheel which makes them complementary colors. I have an inspiration photo with similar colors that might help you see how well this combo could look.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

justgotabme, thank you! that pic is great. i definitely will go with a blue for accent then and stick with a neutral. now to go look for a low arm loveseat or chaise.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

You're welcome michoumonster and good luck! I hope you come back and share photos when you are finished.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Am I alone in thinking what makes that inspiration room is the massive amount of blue on the sofa. That same room with a neutral sofa and a few blue pillow would not have the same feel. There is also a second chair with a stripe that includes blue... Plus all the layering of tonal variations...

I'd caution you to not be afraid of a colored sofa. Navy can become a neutral or you can always buy a slipcover...

• amykath
    10 years ago

Check out West Elm. They have every color you can imagine and a great sale. They have tons of low armed loveseats.

The Everett Upholstered love seat looks like it would fit nicely and comes in blue and neutral and a host of other colors. It is also on sale.

Any chance we can see some other angles of the room?

Here is a link that might be useful: West Elm

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Good point iheartgiantschnauzer. I never thought about navy being a neutral, but it very well can be. I was thinking a bit lighter blue, but navy would be great. Even a dark denim sofa would look awesome in your room.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I think this one would look great in your room!

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

aktillery, on sale is a good thing. i will check out that sofa. it does look really nice. thanks!
    i am not sure about navy blue though, since it might show too much dust? maybe if i get it in a non-velvety fabric..

i took a couple more pics just now from other angles.
    the living room is right off of the entry, which is why i have to make it look nice, all the other rooms of the house will have to wait, lol!

this is from the piano corner.

this is from the bookcase corner. ( the folding chairs will be where a loveseat or chaise will go. there is not a whole lot of room there, so something around 66" max will fit without bumping the piano bench)

thank you everyone!!

This post was edited by michoumonster on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 16:43

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

What about Ikea's Stockholm ? It comes in beige, light brown, white, gray, black velvet, etc. with removable cover? Also in green velvet:

Or get an IKEA sofa and change out the covers. Like a blue or silver velvet

Either from comfort-works.com (below) or www.bemz.com

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA custom covers

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nosoccermom, i like the stockholm sofa you linked to, but the stockholm is too long for my small space. I didn't like any of the other styles from ikea though. that is neat that they sell slipcovers for any ikea sofa. that is a great option. thanks for the suggestion!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Seeing the rest of the room and where you plan on putting the piece I'm thinking a chaise, like the first one you posted, would look awesome. It seems to be more of a music/sitting room therefore I see no need for a loveseat. Especially since it would be placed directly in the corner.

• NashvilleBuild42
    10 years ago

Michou- your pictures are upside down so it's rather difficult to et a good sense of the room, specifically, width and depth. Would you consider posting a layout? If so you would likely receive better advice.

Throwing something different out there: does it have to be a sofa or chaise?

Have you considered a small bench against the wall as well as two more chairs in a fabric that plays well with your existing chairs in the center of the he room grouped around a table or ottoman?

You could play with heights and do the two existing on one side with lower seats opposite or you alternate the chairs but find something in a similar height and style but upholstered?

It would provide more visual interest and depth in the room versus the furniture all smashed against a wall. You'd look through two chairs to the piano or the windows etc.

Not this traditional in style, but a few examples:

(\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
    (\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 .HelveticaNeueInterface-M3;)
    (\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red153\green153\blue153;\red241\green241\blue241;)
    \deftab720
    \pard\pardeftab720\sl400\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs20 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
    \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2

[Traditional Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2107) by San Diego Interior Designers & Decorators Robeson Design)

Or this plays with heights and different materials:

(\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
    (\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 .HelveticaNeueInterface-M3;)
    (\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red153\green153\blue153;\red241\green241\blue241;)
    \deftab720
    \pard\pardeftab720\sl400\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs20 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
    \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2

[Beach Style Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/beach-style-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2110) by Mill Valley Architects & Designers Mahoney Architects & Interiors)

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Nashville, I'm not seeing his photos upside down, but if you are you can copy and paste them into the Paint program found in your Start menu under accessories and rotate them.

• NashvilleBuild42
    10 years ago

Just- both my iPad and iPhone are auto rotating them to the orientation from which the photo was taken. Even when I flip my iPad air or iPhone5 the photo auto flops. I'm sure if I were on the laptop it would be different. I'm guessing michou took pictures on either iPhone or iPad with the home button upside down or landscaped with the home to the left?

I wasn't trying to be rude. Just saying he/she may get more ideas from others as many on here have mentioned in other discussions they don't respond when photos are upside down .

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Oh I didn't think you were being rude at all Nashville. And looking back at my comment, I should have wrote "since you are" instead of "if you are".
    Though I have an iPhone, I don't use it for GW so I didn't realize that could happen. Hubby has an iPad, but I've not taken the time to use it since I have my own desktop and laptop. I never gave a thought to Apple users not having the Paint program.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nashvillebuild, that is so interesting. i did take the pics on my iphone sideways to include the most of the room (otherwise i end up with lots of ceiling and floor if i take it vertically). on my pc, it looks normal though. i didn;t realize that it auto rotates for some people. sorry about that! I appreciate the feedback.
    of the pics you posted, i like the second one with the wicker chairs mixed with the fabric. that is very nice and fresh looking. thank you!
    my room is fairly small and the bookcase spans the back wall with the piano in front. the piano takes up most the room and limits my furniture placement. but i would love some suggestions on alternatives!
    i did a quick and dirty powerpoint layout here, not exactly to scale, but i put measurements down.

This post was edited by michoumonster on Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 2:52

• amykath
    10 years ago

Beautiful room! I think a small loveseat at a slight angle would look great!

I love your floors! Would you share the brand or are they unfinished oak that you then stained?

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I keep forgetting to say how beautiful your home is michoumonster. I too love the floors. My guess is they are Hickory.

What program did you use to make your floor plan? I'm curious because with Paint you can't angle things unless you draw them freehand. Which is doable, but it would be nicer to have the program do it for me.

I used Paint to change the furniture and piano around a bit. Not sure if it works, but it looked as though you have more room between the corner and your slider than showed in your drawing to allow for the depth of the arm chairs. I also did the math to know the length of the wall I put the bookcase on by adding up the opposite wall which with the bookcase centered left 31 inches on each side for the chairs. Not knowing the size of the chair, that may or may not work.
    Anyway here's what I came up with. If you have enough room the chairs could be angled.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

aktillery, thanks ! the floors are engineered smoked white oak. the brand is duchateau, olde dutch color. you can get it in hand-scraped (which is what i have) or smooth finish. i like that it is a natural oil wax finish so i can just buy the oil later to reapply whenever the floor starts to look bad. but i must say it has held up extremely well with my toddlers riding their scooters all over the house!

justgotabme, thank you so much for the floor plan suggestions. that is an interesting layout. i will have to see if i can do it with my chairs and if the piano will stick out into the doorway. I also need to wait til brother-in-law visits to move the piano around with DH, lol!
    for my layout, i just used Powerpoint to draw the room. it doesn't do it to scale easily though (you have to go into each item and calculate it yourself, which is a real pain), but rotating is very easy as well as drawing various shapes.

Here is a link that might be useful: olde dutch

• msrose
    10 years ago

michoumonster - You're the first one I've come across with those floors. I discovered their website awhile back and never could figure out if anyone sold them locally. Once I realized I would have to re-oil them that scared me since I'm looking for low maintenance. Since you haven't had to oil yours yet, how long have you had them? Did you find a local store that carried it or did you have to order it?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Okay, now that we've finally seen the complete room with all the windows and doorways maybe we can provide some workable solutions.

Sorry, but I don't think you need one more piece of furniture in this room. You just need a better floor plan for your items. I realize that the credenza might extend over the window sill by a few inches, but that's ok. I think this layout will work for you.

You can always add an area rug for color or acoustics in this room.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Here's another option for the layout.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

You are welcome michoumonster. I've thought more about my layout and I wonder if you have room to put the chairs in front of the bookcase instead of beside it? That is if you don't need to get things out of them often.

This post was edited by justgotabme on Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 2:30

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

West Elm has a sale. This settee in velvet is currently 749.00

Lots of other fabrics available, some as low as 549.00

Here is a link that might be useful: Elton Settee

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

beverly, I had been trying to figure out how to keep the piano away from the windows (supposedly bad for the piano) while also needing to keep the piano's opening to face the room (to allow the sound to carry). so your placement is brilliant, thank you!!
    the only thing is DH and I do need extra seating in there so that our whole family can hang out, otherwise i think this room may never be used (like our last living room).

justgotabme, i finally drew my room and furniture to scale. the chairs and the piano are a lot larger than I had drawn before, unfortunately, so the chairs on either side of the bookshelf will not fit and piano in the lower corner will jut out too much.

inspired by all the layout changes, i played around some more to try to squeeze in a chaise or sofa. what do you all think?
    will it feel too crowded? i was wondering what the minimum aisle space is needed to access the sliding doors?

nosoccermom, thanks for the link to that loveseat. it is really nice. the lorimer chaise also caught my eye and is also on sale, so i will stop by westelm tomorrow to check them out. thanks!

msrose, the duchateau floors have held up fine. we have been using them for 3 months now, prior to that, our sloppy contractor installed them too early IMO and they got a lot of abuse by his crew. we have not oiled them at all yet. i am not sure how easy it will be, but my understanding is that it is just like mopping.

• homersmom
    10 years ago

Is the slider something you will need to access often? How many people would you need to seat (assuming one person will be playing the piano)?

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Oh yes, yes, yes. I really like it this way michoumonster! It's just the idea I was going for when I put the bookcase on that wall, but didn't think to put the piano in the middle. That makes the best focal point from your entry hall.
    I tried putting the chairs in that corner leaving your piano where it was but wasn't sure how they'd look. In real life you might be able to angle them a bit toward each other too.

• michoumonster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

homersmom, we don't use the slider too often, but occasionally it is convenient for bringing the recycling outside instead of going through the kitchen.. also, in good weather, we would open the slider to let in air. usually we have 4 in our family, but i have visiting friends who love to play piano also so it would be nice for us all to fit in there to listen.

justgotabme, the big thing to move is the piano and the bookcase. brotherinlaw will be coming in a couple days, so i will get the new layout soon! I think i can play around with the chairs by myself. i will try angling them to see . thanks!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

You're welcome michoumonster. I'm looking forward to seeing the room once it's switched around.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Below is a link to smaller sofas and love seats, i.e. under 60".

Here is a link that might be useful: smaller sofas

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I like the feminine chaise pictured above in the post dated Jan 2, 14 at 15:51. I think it tends to soften the leather/straight lines of your chairs and lends a kinship and legitimacy to your wonderful piano and who does not want a fainting couch near a stringed percussion instrument of such great quality sound and beauty.