Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dawna_gw

Pots & pans

dawna
16 years ago

I just moved in with my fiance and decided to use the lazy susan cabinet to put pots and pans. I was hoping this would keep them more organized and easier to get to than in a standard cabinet. But they are still a pain; the lids fall out, the pans don't sit right on top of each other. Do you guys have any suggestions on the best and most organized way to store pots and pans? Any help is much appreciated!

Comments (11)

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I keep the lids separate from the pans. (I have a drawer I can put them in, but you might want to stand them on their ends in a plastic dishpan)

And I stack them according to size, in a couple of different stacks. I have two frying pans; each is the bottom pan of its own stack (I don't try to put the frying pans together). I have a 2qt and a 3 qt; they're similar enough in diameter, that I don't try to put them in the same stack.

If I want a middle or bottom pan, i have to lift the ones above it, so I don't stack them very high.

• marie26
    16 years ago

I have a lazy susan cabinet for my pots and pans and I do the same as Talley Sue and keep the lids in another cabinet. Most of the time, I just put a plate on top of the pot instead of getting out a lid.

I do keep oversized pots and pans in a lower cabinet. I found they were too big for the corner cabinet.

• peegee
    16 years ago

I love my system, but admittedly it's not for everyone. I added a commercial-style stainless steel wire rack on casters to one side of my small kitchen when I remodelled. It's 18" deep, 48" across, and a little higher than countertop height. I had a peice of corian to match my counters cut to fit the top. The first shelf underneath is near the top, and the narrow space is perfect for skillets, etc. The middle shelf contains my stainless steel microwave and convection ovens, and the bottom shelf holds all the remaining pots and pans, each with its lid. I have a good-sized collection with some rather big peices, and all fit well in this space, giving me easy access to everything. Even though I use them frequently, they do tend to collect dust, which some people might find problematic. However, I find the accessibility more than makes up for the extra upkeep, and as a bonus, I enjoy having my cookware displayed. Good luck with your search for a solution - I absolutely understand your issue! - Penny.

• lucy
    16 years ago

Is it out of date to use an overhead rack with hooks to hang everything? Stacking and restacking all the pots and pans every time you want one seems like so much work! Lids can be kept separate.

• jannie
    16 years ago

I have two large pull-out drawers next to my stove. In the top drawer,I put flat items like frying pans and lids. The bottom drawer (much larger) holds larger pots and pans. Some of them stack (nest) together so they don't take up lots of space. Works for me!

• cynandjon
    16 years ago

I have my pots and pans hanging. ITs the most available they have ever been. I keep the lids in a drawer or you can purchase one of those racks to make them stand up.

• marge727
    16 years ago

I had a hanging rack and loved it. Then we had a wooden bar that pans hung on. When we remodeled that area was removed so now we have pull out drawers. One of them has a shelf for lids but I agree its a pain.

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    16 years ago

I am so in favor of no stacking, or minimal stacking (one small skillet in the big skillet) that I am reducing the pots and skillets to very few. If I ever manage to remodel I will devote a little more pullout or drawer space to such, but try to avoid much stacking. I like each item in its own spot. I'm about ready to draw their outlines so my family will replace in exact spot everytime.

• Ideefixe
    16 years ago

My husband's a chef, so we have seemingly hundreds of pots, pans, molds, bowls, etc. We have a very sturdy pot rack that hangs from the ceiling, and then two wall racks (thanks, Ikea!) for the lids.

Those lazy susans aren't as helpful as one might think. I've never wanted one.

• terryinmd
    16 years ago

I have a hanging pot rack which works well for the pots, and a lid rack inside a cabinet below which doesn't work so well. My set of anodized aluminum says not to stack unless you put cloth in between, so they hang.

My last set of pots and pans lived on a pull out shelf. I put the lids on each one so that it provided a flat support for the next smaller pot I stacked on top. The shelf was wide enough that I could spread out and not stack more that 3. It was nice to have the right lid available.

• sharing_s_caring
    16 years ago

I've got some catering equipment that lives (contained) outside in a storage building on racks, older house with blind corner cabinets,
    tupperware and plastics that won't stand the cold go in these corners.
    Catering/large/wedding bake pans go outside, use underneath sink for pan and large pot storage, tall bottom cabinets have a half shelf.
    Pots I use frequently at front bottom of cabinets, small pots on shelf with wire rack to divide from next pot.

If I had the money to remodel or was building new, I'd have a walk in u shaped pantry with adjustable wire shelving. Forget the second shelf in top cabinets, can't reach them anyway, have pull out drawers on bottom cabinets, multi-height counter space, a separate sink for food prep, and a built in dishwasher. Might be willing to have top cabinets with glass doors for china hutch type of display, not for regular use items. Oh and a rolling baking cart (electric), with room for supplies needed and position for secured mixer, that I could push into pantry when not using.