Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
witmom

Chandeliers in Kitchen? Pictures Anyone?

witmom
16 years ago

I was just wondering what everyone's opinions were on this. I have a very modest, "vanilla", circa 1980's home with vaulted ceilings in the kitchen. Can I do this, or am I fooling myself? I have been looking through the FKB, and I have come across one or two kitchens with chandeliers over the island, but those kitchens all seem more "grand" than what I've got going on. I could keep looking through all of the kitchens there for more examples, but the sheer number of kitchens is overwhelming! Does anyone have a picture they would be willing to post here? Any other thoughts or considerations I should take into account? Thanks so much!

Comments (21)

• borngrace
    16 years ago

This is our old kitchen with simple chandelier over island

There is a kitchen in one of my magazine that has two much smaller chandeliers over their island that I think looks great.

• malhgold
    16 years ago

I think anyone can put a chandelier in their kitchen and I do think the look is very nice. Makes it more a part of the rest of the house then a "kitchen". You just have to make the style work with the kitchen.

• reneeharris1
    16 years ago

I think you would be inspired by Renofan's kitchen. While it's not 'grand' in terms of being huge and flashy, it is an absolutely stunning kitchen with a smart layout and tons of character. She has two mini chandeliers over her island that so inspired me that no other lighting options would do for me. I'll be putting in two mini chandeliers over large island. Since I'm a S...L...O...W work in progress I don't have pictures, but I've included a link to the chandeliers I'm considering. HTH!

Here is a link that might be useful: mini chandeliers over island

• napagirl
    16 years ago

There's a thread over on the Home Decorating forum (in Galleries) with a lot of kitchen photos. Its quick and easy to see, maybe you can find something there.

Oceanna also posted a lot of pics on other topics -- bathrooms, living rooms, etc. Check out the one on stairs, you'll be amazed!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen eye candy thread on Home Decorating

• janwad
    16 years ago

Napagirl, that's an amazing link. I think it needs its own thread.

• sandra12
    16 years ago

Here is one in our kitchen but, I ended up with a pendant type over the island.
    {{gwi:1590223}}

• reno_fan
    16 years ago

What??? Did someone say chandeliers in a kitchen? Oh my, that's just my cup of tea! mo, you're too kind!

I've done chandeliers in my last 2 kitchens. Both of my houses are/were plain 1980's ranch-style homes with very little (read: none) character. I think chandeliers can absolutely bring a little sparkle and pizazz to an otherwise plain room.

Here's my last kitchen:

Here's my current kitchen:

• ljsandler
    16 years ago

You can always do recessed light chandeliers. These three are over my island.

• cbreeze
    16 years ago

I would love to have this one.I like it because it has upcast and downcast lights. I haven't been able to find anything similar despite going through hundreds of chandelier pictures on many websites. I took it out of a builder's website but no one had a clue about this chandelier when I called their office.

• reneeharris1
    16 years ago

I'm working on figuring out how to post pictures. I'm going to try to include the photo of the mini chandeliers I'm considering for my kitchen.

[IMG]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj43/moandna/1316-455.jpg[/IMG]

• acomom
    16 years ago

Here's mine (sorry, not the world's greatest photo):

By the way - Reno Fan - love your kitchen!

• reneeharris1
    16 years ago

I'm on a mission - I'm going to try again!

• sdionnemoore
    16 years ago

Reno fan, where did you get those lovely critters hanging above your island. You'll share the link, won't you? Puh-retty please?

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

We have a modest size kitchen and the chandelier is small. This is about the only thing left from our previous kitchen. We are undecided if it's staying??

{{!gwi}}

• cooperbailey
    16 years ago

We have one and we love it. I will try to take a pic later and post it. Sue

• cooperbailey
    16 years ago

here it is. 2 views. Small kitchen,small chandy.
    Please ignore the plywood windows and the duct tape pulls. Oh and the dog bone on the floor!Sue

• witmom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

THANK YOU all so much! I appreciate you all taking the time to respond. I have to say everyone's chandeliers look great. Truly, you all have beautiful kitchens and have done a great job decorating them. If mine turns out half as well, I'll be tickled pink. I'm so excited about this possibility! Thanks all!

• lynn_r_ct
    16 years ago

lsandler - where did you get the chandelier/recessed light covers? I just love them - IMHO they add some class to those recessed eyesores.

• tinker_2006
    16 years ago

Question: If you have a chandelier over your island, did you match the lighting over your breakfast room table? I am curious to know how this is addressed!

• ljsandler
    16 years ago

lynn r ct-- Thanks for you kind words. Here is the link to the recessed light chandeliers. They are one of my favorite things about my remodel.

My RLC have 8 medium sized crystals on them but you can do 4 crystals, if you want less bling.

Beaux Artes has wonderful customer service.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beaux Artes

• reno_fan
    16 years ago

My "little critters" LOL were from LightingbyGregory.com. They used to have a great site, but they changed it and it's a little harder to navigate. The chandeliers are from the Minka Lavery brand.

Tinker, to answer your question, we bought a chunkier chandelier from the same manufacturer and in the same finish. They're not even from the same "line", but the finish is the same so it works.

Here's the kitchen and breakfast room:
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}