Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
walkin_yesindeed

more bunk bed questions

walkin_yesindeed
16 years ago

Hi all:

my earlier bunk bed thread disappeared, or at least a search isn't bringing it up. So I figured I'd start again. Can I bother you with two more questions?

1. My instincts say that metal beds are flimsier than wood. A friend has them and likes them, but she has twin-over-full (larger bottom = more stability) whereas we need twin-over-twin. Are my instincts right?

2. I am not looking for heirloom quality, but I'd like to get ten years out of them. What would you think about these?

Disadvantages: have never bought Penney furniture before and have no idea re quality, whether they're being honest when they say "solid wood" etc; can't see it set up and shake it before buying. Advantages: we have very few local options for buying bunk beds, but we do have a JCP in town. Not sure I fully understand Penney's return policy, but if I do, we can either schlep it to a catalog desk or call them to come get it -- I don't think we have to pay to return it. The price is good, although I wonder whether it's too good...

Here is a link that might be useful: Penney's bunk beds

Comments (3)

• les917
    16 years ago

My younger DS had a metal twin over a desk space, and that was VERY sturdy and worked well until he got too tall to comfortably do the upper bunk thing. I think he was about 10 or so.

I think there are two things that concern me about the JCP set. The legs on the upper bunk are pretty skinny where they meet the head and footboards of the lower bunk. Do they attach somehow or just rest on there - I can't tell from the pix.

In the closeup, there are two little whitish boxes on the edge of the top bunk where it attaches to the head and footboards, and one for the bottom bunk. Not sure what those are, but the ones on the top are crooked.

For sure I would try to call JCP customer service and find out how much weight the beds can support, etc.

I know that in the other thread several people mentioned thisendup.com. I would consider that source - they have a great reputation and the furniture that I have seen from them is solid and will last. The furniture from JCP is solid wood with veneers, which means that when it gets scratches or dings or nicks, you are dealing with trying to fix the veneer, not solid wood. If we are talking about young kids, I would be a little worried about how this would stand up especially with kids climbing on the frames and all over the railings, etc.

• snookums
    16 years ago

For one thing, at $400 you certainly can't beat the price on those. Even if they are not the best quality, it's not like you put a ginormous amount of money into them.

It did say the trundle is extra, but probably worth getting for sleepovers or storage.

By code, bunk beds and loft beds sold in the US must support 400 pounds.

We have had good experience with JC Penney's return policy. We bought a family room set (couch, loveseat, 2 chairs, ottoman) that had some issues and they took the entire set back after 3 months in our home, issued us full credit, and we were able to choose something else.

• Katie S
    16 years ago

I Like them! Note, though, that the side rail will not be easily removable for making the to bunk, plus be sure you have a place to move the ladder if you get the trundle-- since it can;t stay where it is if the trundle is out.