Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubyvine_gw

Cabico, Thomasville or KM..Is one any better?

rubyvine
15 years ago

PLEASE HELP...I'M STUCK!! We are putting on an addition to our home which will include our new kitchen. I have waited SO LONG for this project to start. The time has come for my first major decision (cabinet selection) and I am totally stumped!! We went to HD and looked at Kraftmaid and Thomasville, which price about the same. We also went to a local cabinet shop and priced a company called Cabico, which prices only slightly higher. Does anyone have any suggestions on these brands. Is one better than another? I could really use any input. Thanks.

Comments (14)

• happy2b…gw
    15 years ago

We ordered our cabinets recently. We found that cabico allowed lots of customization like choosing the rails and insert of the door and mad a nice product. But we learned that the insert of the door is composite not wood while the rest of the cabinet is wood.

Have you looked at Shuler cabinets at Lowe's? The sample door the company made up for us is excellent. All wood - less expensive than Cabico. We went with Shuler.

Linda

• erikanh
    15 years ago

I recommend Cabico. I think the quality is very high. They are fully custom, and they have many choices in door styles, paints and stains. Many high end companies use MDF for their painted doors.

• judydel
    15 years ago

I 'm getting ready to order my kitchen cabinets and I've chosen Cabico. When I spoke to the headquarters in Canada a few months ago they assured me they make a no voc option. They offer no voc plywood (or particleboard) boxes. I can't imagine that their doors are mdf. I'm going to call them and inquire tomorrow.

I think they make a beautiful product and the customizing options without the custom price is very appealing.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

If you check out Cabico's website you'll see that they use MDF for their painted doors. Their doors are good quality and MDF is a smart choice for painted doors.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.cabico.com/products/doors

• rubyvine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did not realize their painted doors were MDF, thanks for the link erikanh. I am thinking about getting painted black cabinets. My husband thinks I'm nuts. He feels it's too modern. I think it's a timeless, classic look. We live in a Queen Anne victorian so I think it would work. Perhaps some beautiful carrera countertops to go with them?! I'd LOVE to do it, but I am nervous because we have three young (AKA crazy) kids. Judydel, if you speak with them please keep me posted on your thoughts. Thanks SO MUCH for any input.

• judydel
    15 years ago

Erikanh
    I went to the link and I see that Cabico offers painted mdf as ONE of their choices. I have been in the store and not all painted doors are mdf. You can get any of the solid wood doors painted (or stained) any color of your choice. If you notice they even show on the link various solid wood doors that are painted.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

mmhm you can definitely get solid wood doors, but it's an upcharge. My point was that their standard painted door is MDF, which is what I was about to order when I almost went with Cabico. I live in New England where we have wide shifts in temperature and humidity, and the KD explained that paint on MDF won't be as susceptible to gapping.

• judydel
    15 years ago

So many people on the E. Coast have painted wood cabs. I completely beg to differ that Cabico's standard painted door is MDF. It just isn't true. They showcase a great deal of painted solid wood in a variety of colors. As they say on their site . . . painted MDF is ONE option not the standard. With Cabico there is not standard anything. You choose from a great variety of options. And then it costs what it costs depending on what you choose. MDF is cheaper than solid wood naturally.

• rubyvine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Isn't that funny...I also live on the East coast and the KD never mentioned anything about a MDF door holding up better than solid wood. Ekikanh, you say you almost went with Cabico..what line did you end up picking? There is a local company called Crown Point that is a fully custom company (although I am afraid they will be way out of my price range). I do try to support local industry whenever I can. Perhaps I will look into them. I never imagined that this would all be so stressful/overwhelming!

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

rubyvine, Erikanh went with Crown Point. I did too. If you search for Crown Point on this site you will find that we are all VERY satisfied. I can't say enough about them. When I priced them they were on the lower end (the high end for me was WoodMode, Quality Custom Cabinetry). Only one came in lower than Crown Point. They offered me some discounts because it was a slow time and that helped the price. I am sure they are hurting for business ... I know Erika was offered free milk paint which is usually a 25% upgrade.

Working with Crown Point actually helped a lot in reducing the overwhelming stress of the kitchen remodel process. I highly suggest you contact them, particularly since you are local.

They are usually working direct so I don't know how that will sit with your KD - not sure he or she will get anything out of this if you go with them.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Hi rubyvine,

I went with Crown Point. They've been offering some pretty aggressive discounts which made them affordable for me. I encourage you to get a quote from them. My designer is Carole Stevens, and I can't recommend her enough ... she's very experienced and was wonderful to work with.

I know this selection process is very overwhelming. Take your time.

Erika

• caryscott
    15 years ago

The advantage of the MDF door is that manufactured woods are dimensionally more stable and they are often made from one piece so the door will not crack at the joints or around the centre panel the way painted wood doors will (and they all will). Apparently Crown Point is offering some good incentives right now. Cabico is a fully custom line and I have read it usually comes in at significantly less than Crown Point but with the incentives who knows?

• choochnbob
    15 years ago

I 've read to NOT put MDF in kitchens or bathrooms due to the humidity and tend for warping. I believe our old house had Cabico birch cabinets. I know they were birch and they were gorgeous. I'm pretty sure they were cabico.

• rubyvine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh thank you all for your input. This is my first time posting on GW and I can't tell you how helpful it is to hear your opinions. Your way more helpful than my husband :) I am going to contact Crown Point now. Maybe, just maybe they will be having a big fat 50% off sale today!! I'm sure you'll hear from me again when it is time to choose a color. Thanks again for your time and effort.