Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherriode_gw

DC area cabinet maker

Sherriode
12 years ago

Hi all. I'd like to get a quote for custom cabinets. Can anyone recommend an affordable DC area cabinet maker, preferably one who will do frameless? Thanks!

Comments (12)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

Dutch Wood Kitchens will go to D.C. They are affordable and absolutely wonderful. The cabinets for my (very large and highly detailed w/ lots of special features inside the drawers) kitchen were $34,000. Many people on GW have used them or are in the process of using them so you can search around to read more.

• joaniepoanie
    12 years ago

Dutch Wood is located near Harrisburg, PA....if I had known about them before I ordered my cabinets I definitely would have taken a ride out there and checked them out...lots of good feedback on them here on GW. If you dont want to travel that far, we went through a bathroom designer for our master bath and she had a maple floating vanity made for us by Carriage Hill Cabinetry in Frederick. They did a beautiful job and I am very happy with it.

• decolisa
    12 years ago

I used Dovetail Millwork, based in Rixeyville, VA, to do my frameless cherry and white cabinets.

• Anthony
    12 years ago

I had a hard time getting responses from cabinet makers in the area (another reason I semi-built them myself).

One that did call me back and was not completely unreasonable in price was Cedar Forest Cabinetry. Was still a bit pricey for our budget, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cedar Forest

• Sherriode
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys! I emailed my drawings to the much harolded Jason at Dutch Wood Kitchens, so I should get a rough estimate early next week. I'm eager to know if they will be within our budget (fingers crossed).

• daveinorlado
    12 years ago

I am doing a kitchen for couple in Reston Va using Bridgewood Custom with frameless base and framed wall. My original quote was to match the material list of Lowes using Shuler. Lowes was 24k and my quote was for 17K. After several design meetings, and measuring the kitchen we learned the original Lowes design was not the correct dimensions.The final price went to 24k for my quoteLowes price would have been higher as they would have had to add several things not in the first quote. I could tell they want to spend less so I gave them my 15% contractors discount and got it to 21k. 2/3 of all the cabinets are custom sized with numerous other options and modifications.

Where do people find these businesses that do not take intersts in your projects? I measure all the kitchens I am invited to look at same day most of the time. Next day is the longest it takes. I send designs that include the actual drawings and the material lists and not just a black and white 3d with line item total nor do I charge for the meeting or giving them the full design and line by line MSRP and discount for every needed item.

I don't get it. Most businesses in the kitchen and bath world are in the DC area that are not trying to be ultra high end are struggling to stay open the prices are not as high as people still seem to think.

• Sherriode
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dave- I just checked out the Misty Creek website and I'm impressed with the variety of cabinet lines offered. RTA frameless may help significantly in terms of budget.

• Sherriode
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Estimates are in! $10,000 for plywood Kraft made from HD, $12,000 for top of the line semi-custom at cabinet shop, $9,000 for full custom Dutch Wood, and $5000 for Conestoga RTA. As promised by many on the forum, I was quite pleasantly surprised by Dutch Wood custom cabinets. I don't know which we'll go with, but it's good to know that custom is a viable option even with our budget.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

Sherriode I don't know your budget, but I really, really would suggest that if there is any way, you spend the extra $4,000 for Dutch Wood. The quality you will get and the custom service is just unmatched. Cabinets are permanent (relatively) and not easy to upgrade later. Dutch Wood is well constructed with domestic plywood and the cabinets are really, really beautiful And you will get a lot of great features like dovetail construction 3/4 plywood, plus all the little extras they include. My kitchen looks much more expensive than it was thanks to Dutch Wood!

At least go and see them before you make a decision :)

• Jumpilotmdm
    12 years ago

Get on Wood-Mode's website and find a dealer you can trust. Ask for design group 84. 34K will buy a lot of kitchen and you're getting a premium product.

• daveinorlado
    12 years ago

The only decent frameless RTA cabinet out there is by Innovations in Ga. They have a online shopping cart website that dealers hate. I have set my account up with them as one of my sales reps picked them up recently. I did one kitchen of theirs a few years ago not knowing it. (long story was getting things from a wholesaler years ago who I thought was the company that warehoused innovations. I did not know they got it from innovations and marked it up to me)

It was a decent cabinet.

Bridgewood is still one of the best options out there if you want to look at frameless. It costs less then Ultrakraft and is custom. Meaning you can specify cabinet size in width and length to the 1/16". Dealer catalog is over 800 pages long. They will not build anything you can dream but they are more then enough for the needs of the majority of projects out there.

I am going to submit the Reston kitchen for the kitchen of the month contest Bridgewood has. I am sure we will win it.

Bridgewood has a lot of dealers in the DC area. Ultrakraft is at Fergusons, Europa which is a sister company is available at the kitchen and bath showroom of Micheal And Son called studio 57. Studio 57 gives a little better price.

My dealer cost for the Reston kitchen was about 12k I figured it out in Geppetto (now called Touchstone as of a week ago they merged and changed names) was 21k which is one of the lowest priced truly custom lines on the market today. I do not think there is a company out there that is lower priced as a national company than bridgewood for framed and frameless cabinets particularly one that allows custom sizes.

• Camille468 Harry
    6 years ago

Resurrecting an old thread. Who did you end up using Sherrimode?