Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunfeather

Liebherr Refrigerator worth the cost?

sunfeather
14 years ago

I'm having trouble justifying spending $2,000+ for a frig. Is it really worth it?

Comments (11)

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

I think it depends what you're looking for a fridge to do, what your priorities and needs are. I've got a 30" Liebherr and I'm extremely happy with it. I think it's the best fridge I've ever had in a lot of ways. But all refrigerators keep things cold, basically, so a lot of it comes down to preference, features and it becomes very individual.

• chris45ny
    14 years ago

We just bought a Samsung and spent close to $2000. Guess it depends on the features, quality/reliability, size, etc. I wanted counter depth so had to spend more. Initially, looked at Sub Zero as more true counter depth than the Samsung but couldn't justify the $7000+ it would cost and that was for a small cu. ft. refrigerator.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Why do you need a fridge like the Liebherr in particular? The narrower widths and shallower depth available? What may be "worth it" in some situations may not be in others...why are you considering it?

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

My 30" Liebherr was the most expensive thing I bought for my kitchen, and I've never regretted it once. Besides being virtually silent, it keeps food fresher longer than any fridge I've ever had - I love it for that alone. Also, I like the stainless steel wire shelves, which I find easier to clean and more attractive than the big molded plastic ones.

Plus, I really like how the company has responsible manufacturing practices (no mercury, little exploited labor, which accounts for a lot of the cost) -- and the thing is off the chart from all other fridges in terms of Energy Star efficiency.

Caveat: your mileage may vary! But I do adore mine.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Where did you see a Liebherr refrigerator for $2,000? Unless it's quite small... (24" or less)

Most 36" counter-depth refrigerators today cost close to that and more from "regular" manufacturers like GE, Samsung, Maytag, KitchenAid, etc. The Liebeherr's I've seen that are the same size (36") are in the $5,000 - $6,000 range.

What size family? Will you have a second refrigerator elsewhere (if the Liebherr is a small one)? Are you severely limited in space?

When you ask if it's worth the cost, we need more information, just like you do, to talk about worth.

• sunfeather
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was asking about quiet appliances on another post and Liebherr seemed to be mentioned a lot. The space I have is standard I think about 36 inches. I just want quiet and reliable. We have a Kenmore Trio now and it is loud. Also the doors don't always close - maybe user error but it still happens.

• sunfeather
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Didn't mean to get anyone excited thinking I'd found a great price :-) I should have said "over $2000" - I really didn't know what they cost but think $2000+ is a lot for a frig. It seems strange to me to pay more for less cubic feet just to get counter depth. Right now, my frig sticks out a few inches and it isn't terrible but having one that was flush would be nice. We are a family of 2. I like to cook fresh food. As I said - I want a quite frig that works well.

• davidro1
    14 years ago

For your kinda standard space "I think about 36 inches" you'll be happy with a Blomberg, an LG, a Samsung, or maybe even a US corporate fridge made in Mexico.

• chris45ny
    14 years ago

We are also a family of 2-senior citizens. When DH cooks it's almost always with fresh food. Up to now, we've always had Sears Kenmore refrigerators-never any problems and when we got rid of them, they were still working, even after 15+ years. Hoping the Samsung will be as reliable. Choice was Kenmore Elite or the Samsung.
    The only ones we found that were flush or less with our counters were the Sub Zero and the Liebherr but they are pricey if you want 36". The Sub Zero we were considering was B130U-F-R which was under 20 cu. ft. for $6997 without the sides and front (extra even for just stainless) but dimensions were 30" wide by 24" deep by 84" high. 36" wide would probably cost more. Believe Liebherr's dimensions for depth and height would be similar. The Samsung counter depth we got will be 36" wide and about 29" deep with the handles but a lot less money.

DH does 90% of the cooking so he got to choose the appliances and even though he liked the pricey ones he went with the Samsung.

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

Love our Liebherr for exactly everything that circuspeanut said. We have a 24" all fridge model, so the Liebherr was uniquely suited to what we were looking for.

Eliz

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

The 36" Liebherrs run $5000-6000 depending on freestanding vs. built in.