Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Let's Talk Closet Organization

lynninnewmexico
12 years ago

We have a smallish walk-in closet that I dream of redoing one day soon. I'm also a bit of a O/C organizer and really enjoy seeing and hearing about good organizational ideas. Like most of us I'm sure, I'd love to have a room-sized walk-in closet and an unlimited budget to outfit it to the max . . . but, I don't (LOL!).

What I'm looking for are good, practical ideas for average closets. I know that I'm not the only one here who would like a more organized closet so let's trade ideas and pics!

* I'd LOVE to hear your ideas about good closet storage.

* I'd LOVE to see pics of great closet solutions that you've either implemented or that you just really like.

* What's worked for you, what hasn't and why?

* Have you found a great idea for multiple purse storage?

* Shoes storage?????

* Any great ideas for making the best use of closet corners, as I hate wasted space?

Lynn

Comments (24)

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK, this is one closet that I love. I love the practical use of that corner with the turntable and hanging rack. I like the open and closed storage and the drawers.
    One thing that I don't like is the mirrored shelf area. I want to maximize storage, not waste space displaying non-clothing items.

At 5'6" tall, I have a hard time reaching tall shelves. I had a wood chair that turns into a step-stool, but found it too heavy and cumbersome to use and move. I found this collapsible step stool at BB&B and love it.

Someone here posted this pic last year, of a shoe storage idea. I keep thinking it might work for me, as shoes stored along a floor is a dicey thing out here. You always have to check them for centipedes and spiders first! For that reason, I need mine up off the floor.

• Fun2BHere
    12 years ago

I've used various elements of a similar system in my closets over the years as I've moved many times and didn't want to invest in a fixed system. I prefer the ones that use straps and velcro over the hanging bar as they hold up to weight better than the ones that use hanger-tops. Note the canvas handbag organizer on page 2.

Here is a link that might be useful: Closet storage

• Fun2BHere
    12 years ago

Sorry...should have said, "similar system to the one I've linked below."

Here is a link that might be useful: Closet Storage

• avesmor
    12 years ago

Digging that tall shoe rack. I have a much smaller, 3-tier version. My oh my. Have you seen the shoe wheel? Image 10 of these in a full length lazy susan setup.

Just did our closet about a year ago (new construction). Things I loved, that work well for storage -

I had the carpenter build an "island" (but taller) in the middle of the room. Originally it was just open space, but I don't dress in my closet so I didn't need the room. I had the "island" divided into 12 cubbies. I've categorized my bulkies (sweaters, and I love shawls) into 8 color groups. I roll them and each color group gets a cubby ("cubbies are about 30"x30") Two cubbies for blue jeans (I've divided them based on size - I'm fairly tall, so I have to buy tall length jeans if I'm wearing them with anything other than a flat). A cubby for purses (I only have a few - generally just use one for spring/summer and one for fall/winter) and a cubby for hats. This island runs from the far wall lengthwise. The end that protrudes has a full length mirror.

A smart storage idea that I wish I'd thought of back then - moveable clothing rods. Ours are hard installed. I didn't think to measure the clearance. As I noted, I'm fairly tall. And our hangers apparently have longer necksthat usual. All of the clothes I hang on the top tiers, drag on the shelves below them by an inch or so. :( It doesn't affect the clothes, but it looks messy to me.

I did have a "dress" slot built in. Fortunately I don't wear a ton of dresses and my skirts work on a rod, so this spot has become home for my business slacks.

I had an outlet installed, and a hidey-hole for my clothes steamer. But know what I should have thought of? An exhaust fan. I now still have to wheel my steamer out into the bathroom proper (my WIC is accessed from the far wall of the bathroom) because it gets way too humid in there when I steam (I don't iron).

My closet walls start sloping a foot or so from the ceiling. I had shelving put in right where the slope starts. Well, shoes slope... so that shelving gives me room for about 30 - 40 more pair of shoes (I have a LOT fo shoes). Brown on the left, black on the right. :) In most closets I see, this space is left completely unused but it's perfect.

I also wear a lot of accessory scarves. I had a row of about 10 hooks put in. They hold scarves and what I'll call fashion necklaces (accessory necklaces, not my good stuff). Don't know what I'd do without them.

• lesleyintn
    12 years ago

Thanks lynninnewmexico for starting this thread! My DH and I are about to talk to an architect about reorganizing our present walk-in closet. We have a much-too-small space for much-too-much clothing! I hope everyone keeps the good ideas coming. My only suggestion is to install a wall ironing board. It will be perfect for those inevitable "touch-ups."

• User
    12 years ago

We had a cabinet guy build our closet--mainly because we wanted shelves, cabinets and hanging storage a full 24" deep so we wouldn't have dust on the shoulder that is uncared with standard 18" deep storage. I love the built in dresser ajd the very shallow top drawers that hold jewelry organizers.

But I would have to say that my favorite things are the three short pull out rods mounted at about 6 feet high on the sides of the storage (the three places there is a "side.". We pull them out and use them to hang dry cleaning before it is put away, to hang stuff that's going to be packed for a trip, etc. they are very handy !

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

I am no help for a large walk-in, but we just had a Container Store Elfa system installed in our small MBR reach-in closet. It has helped DH a lot. The Elfa systems are onsale 30% off plus 30% off installation until Feb 15 I think. So, definitely check out Container Store. They can accommodate any size closet and any budget.

• bostonpam
    12 years ago

We were on a tight budget and had 4 closets to complete. For the kids' closets (just a step in - use to be a stairwell) we used Closetmaid from Home Depot. The middle section has shelves or pull out drawers/baskets. I tried all the similar ones (from HD, Lowes, etc.) but closetmaid had the smoothest pullouts. One side has a single pole and the other side is a double pole. On the side wall I just used wire shelving that can be adjusted over time. This is great for my kids. For our closet (use to be a porch - 17' x 7') we used Ikea Pax wardrobe system without the doors. You can configure each box many different ways. It's up against a brick wall and interior window so we didn't want it too permanent. On the other walls - 7 windows, we have simple shelving from HD. Not as elaborate as the other systems but cheaper.

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm glad that I started this thread, too! When my DH called from work yesterday afternoon, I told him I was talking to you all about ideas for redoing closets. And you know what he said? "Well Darlin, you just go for it then . . . Happy Early Birthday!" I called California Closets five minutes later (LOL!) and have an appointment a week from today for them to come out and give me an estimate. I'm not sure I'll go with them, but I would like to see how much it'll cost to have it done for me. I'm kind of frugal. I may decide to buy the components someplace and either have DH & myself install them or have the (awesome) GC who redid our kitchen install them.

But . . . I'm loving the ideas here!!
    Fun: thank you for that link. I am such an organization geek that I know I'm going to spend hours over there. Love it!

Avesmor: your pic doesn't show up and I'd really like to see it. Hope you'll try posting it again. Your closet sounds wonderful, the island idea. Wish ours was wide enough for one. It sounds so practical. I'm also envious of all that extra shoe storage. Nice!

Lesley, (LOL!) I'm right there with you with, a much-too-small space for much-too-much clothing!. After DH called yesterday, I spent the rest of the afternoon trying to clean out our closet. We need to get a big "donate" box going!

KSWL: those 24" deep cabs are a great idea, as we get so much dust out here! Your built-in dresser with the jewelry drawers is also a great idea. I'll bet you enjoy that. I need to talk to DH about those pull-out rods. We definitely need a few of those!

Gsciencechick: I'm glad that you mentioned the big Elfa sale going on right now. I hope some of the folks here can take advantage of it.

Pam: Yikes . . . four closets to do all at the same time?!? Your 17'x 7' closet sounds neat. But, are you concerned about all those windows fading your clothes? We have one small skylight in our MBR closet and I worry about it. Just wondering. Thanks for mentioning ClosetMaid; I'm off to check out their site!
    Lynn

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wish that my closet was large enough to implement this entire design, but it's not. It's too narrow. But . . . one thing I really have my heart set on is adding a built-in, mirrored door wardrobe to the back of our closet. Why? Because we need more cabinet storage for sweaters, purses, shoes, etc. It gets too dusty and dustbunny-ish as it is now with the open shelves. I want it to be only about 15" deep, 36" wide and 7-feet tall, with 7 adjustable shelves in it. The mirrored doors will also visually expand the small space, enhance the lighting and give us a nice big mirror besides.
    This is my own photo-shopped idea of what I mean. I've also added one of those awesome shoe trees, but when measuring out space in our closet, I don't think I can fit one in :~(
    I'm still working on that, though. Which is where I'll be most of today . . . cleaning out, taking measurements and just sitting in my closet thinking about "what ifs ?". Gosh, I love organizing!
    Lynn

• User
    12 years ago

Here is a picture of a "closet valet" in all the different finishes:

{{!gwi}}

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Kswl, those are nice! They look like they're very well made, too. Am copying this to show DH tonight.

• avesmor
    12 years ago

Oh that's weird, the pic is showing up for me. Ok, let's try this:

(I see it in preview, can you see it now?)

• lolauren
    12 years ago

avesmor: I'm trying to add your image for you:

• busybee3
    12 years ago

when i had my closet done, i had a 28" wide full length unit put in that has 13 shelves for shoes---i have the shelves placed at different intervals so that different ht shoes will fit...some pairs i stack together to take up less space.
    twice a year i will change out some of the shoes-i store the out of season shoes on the top of the unit in clear plastic shoe boxes(the closet has 9' ceilings and there is about 12" of space between the ceiling and the top of the closet unit.) i love this arrangement-all of my shoes are neatly put away, yet easily seen and accessed.

• hoh2010
    12 years ago

Regarding the valet, it is very useful. But based on our experience, I wish I could have it installed somewhere else in the closet. We installed in next to the drawers, and some times the stuff hang on the valet will get caught when we open the drawers. Just something for you think about...

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

One thing I have in my walk in is a small chest/trunk (think cube size, etc.)

It opens up for storage, I can sit on it for putting on boots, etc, and I use it as a step stool for high shelves.
    It's very functional and attractive.

I bought mine at Tuesday Morning.

• lisa_mocha
    12 years ago

Love California Closets, but quite expensive!!

We have a combination of Pax wardrobes from Ikea and Closetmaid system from Home Depot. I'm offically out of hanging space so am thinking of taking out the dresser to place add'l hanging space on back wall. (DH says I just need to get rid of all the things I don't wear...I guess there's some truth to that!
    Left side has shelving for sweaters + hang space and right-siis mostly double-hang space + section for dresses etc. (Pic taken before everything got piled back in! Add'l storage hidden in these pics)
    I keep all casual T-shirts etc in Pax wardrobe in DH closet + space in 2 spare rooms...yes, it's time to re-organize so perhaps this thread will motivate me to do it!
    I would love to have everything including storage for shoes in 1 spot, but this closet simply isn't large enough!

What is lacking in my closet is space for shoes...they are all over the place and something that I would certainly want to address for any 'do-overs'!

• alexisls
    12 years ago

Here's a very inexpensive item that for me was a revelation - it's $8 and I have it hanging on the inside of the coat closet door. It's absolutely perfect for keeping all my pashminas and wraps visible and accessible (and not all wadded up).

For purse storage, I'm going to try something I saw on Pinterest - a tension rod across the top of the closet with shower curtain hooks to hang purses from.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scarf Hanger

• suero
    12 years ago

I have a couple of vertical skirt hangers in my coat closet. They're just the thing to hold gloves, scarves and ear warmers in the least amount of space.

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for more ideas and suggestions! Today DH and I stopped by Lowes to check out their closet organizational things. I was disappointed with how little they actually had. Basically they had a white wire unit and accessories, one in white melamine and then a wood-look set of components. All ok, but the offerings were disappointingly slim.

Busybee3: OMG, that's one amazing amount of shoe storage! I've been thinking of storing extra shoes in clear shoe boxes up on a higher shelf in our closet. Over on GW's Organizing Forum, I once saw a great idea like that. The gal actually took a pic of each pair of shoes and then attached it to the outside (inside?) of each inexpensive,clear shoe box. Each pair of shoes was then very easily located when needed.

HOH: thanks . . . that's a good thing to know!!!

Lisa, thanks! I remember your closet because I LOVED your beautiful wallpaper!

Sue, great idea. I need to get a few of those. Thanks!
    Lynn

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

I've been looking into this, too. I have to say that I personally preferred the new system they're selling at lowes, but I think the Martha Stewart one from HD has the most options of the more budget-level systems. You may need to check the websites to see all the bits available.

Incidentally, Martha has a pullout clothing rod like the one shown earlier in this thread, but it only comes in BN.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

Lynn we got our closets done by our cabinet maker for a fraction of the cost of California Closets. Do you have any local cabinet makers? I'd get a quote if you do/can. We got better materials (solid wood), great customization, cheaper cost! I put lazy-"shoe-zens" in my closet (as my cabinet maker called them) plus did pull-out pant racks, jewelry drawers, a framed board w/ hooks for hanging jewelry and glass doors to protect all the contents.

My closet design:

Closet in the process of being installed before the glass doors and pant racks and fun things were put in :)