Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quincin

Please help me decide on trim color for creamy cabs!

quincin
13 years ago

Hi all,

Have gotten great feedback from this site when I've posted before, so I'm hoping you'll all come through for me again :)

I love the color of my creamy white kitchen cabinets. In the kitchen. On the cabinets. Reads a nice, creamy white, without yellow. Not so much in my adjoining family room on the trim.

My dilemma is whether to just stick with the creamy white on all the trim - the con here being I'm not a big fan of how the color reads in the FR, or, to do the trim not specifically attached to the cabinets in the same white that is in the rest of the house - the con here being the break in continuity.

We are going with a creamy crackel tile for the backsplash, and are planning on doing the walls in RH pale silver (a light green with chameleon qualities).

Here's a pic from the FR which shows the difference (and it's even more noticeable in person) . The closer wall's crown is in BM OC-38 (the creamy white) (the trim for the doorway is just primer), and in the hallway behind is the white trim in the rest of the house.

Here's what it looks like in the kitchen:

Lot''s of trim - the adjoining hallway and DR have white trim:

Thanks for any insight you can give!

-Cindy

Comments (5)

• noebee1313
    13 years ago

I vote white on all the trim. White matches everything, even creamy cabinets. I think it may actually look really crisp in your kitchen!! HTH

• moegaff
    13 years ago

I had the same issue and decided on matching the trim to the cabinets in the kitchen and I'm so glad I did! The contractor said that white trim against the cabinets would make the cabinets look dingy. I kept all the rest of the trim in adjoining rooms white and had the trim in the kitchen color matched to the cabinets. Much smoother look and makes the cabinets really look great.

• margcooks
    13 years ago

We just finished our kitchen and I had the same dilemma. The rest of the house has white trim and the architect wanted me to use the same white on the molding over the cabinets, but I decided to match the molding color the the cabinet color and I'm glad I did. All the other trim in the kitchen (the door casings, the baseboards, the window sills, etc.) are the white trim color, but for the crown molding over the cabinets, I matched the cabinets. This means that in some corners, the white crown molding comes up next to the creamier crown molding of the cabinets, but you don't notice it all. At first, the crown molding was painted white, and you could really see it next to the creamier color of the cabinets and I hated it. My reasoning was if you had wood stained cabinets you would not use white crown molding across the top--you'd match the crown molding to the cabinets and make it look like one piece--so, why would you do any different with painted cabinets?

Good luck!

• quincin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone! I think the nice thing is there you all did a version of what I'm thinking, and you all like your results. Looks like we'll be testing some different options this weekend, I know something will work out!

Thx again for your responses!

• Lake_Girl
    13 years ago

Great question, Cindy. We're trying to "rework" our older white cabinets to update the kitchen without the cost of new cabinets. I'll be trying to figure out whether to change trim colors as well. All that to say, I love your kitchen and wanted to ask two questions. What are your countertops and what knobs will you go with? Thanks for your help!