Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tryingtobehandy

Primer tacky after 48 hours, where did I go wrong?

tryingtobehandy
14 years ago

Hello,

I have been reading for hours and hoping to find some help. Everyone here is so knowledgeable.

I am preparing my oak cabinets to paint. These doors appear to have a clear gloss on them. On one of the doors, I used Zinsser Paint Remover with Soyzol. I chose this due to the low odor. It appeared to remove the clear varnish/coating. I then sanded with a medium grit sandpaper sponge. I applied one thin layer of Cover Stain, waited 48 hours and it is still tacky. I can take the primer off with my fingernail.

On another door, I sanded and then primed. I have the same tacky result after applying the Cover Stain and waiting.

Where do I go from here? I assume I will have to start from scratch and that's ok.

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    14 years ago

Shake or stir well your cover stain.

• tryingtobehandy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

christophern,

Thank you. I did stir very well. I know I'm missing something.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

Is it an oil primer? Could be that the room is below the optimal drying temperature. If it's tinted oil primer, well, there;s the problem. It may take a week to harden as the tint really slows the dry time.
    I don't think the stripper you used is impeding, because you say you sanded it. If when you sanded it it felt like you were sanding putty, maybe there's cause for alarm. If there was stripping chemical left in the wood, or some rinsing step was skipped, there's the chance the primer cannot dry.
    Casey

• tryingtobehandy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your replies. I was inside my home, temp around 69 - 70 degrees. Cover Stain is an oil primer and it is tinted. When I sanded after applying the stripper it appeared as though the varnish was off and sanded well. The wood still felt "shiney" but it appeared that the gloss was removed.

I attempted to sand the primer after realizing it had not dried and it came off gooey and stuck to the sand paper. I was able to remove the majority of it. I want to try again, but really want to get it right this time.

• loomis
    14 years ago

I've used this primer many times and found that, despite being an oil primer, it dries quickly. I, too, was priming dark oak cabinets.

Just one question, did you thoroughly wash your kitchen cabinets before priming? (I assume it's the kitchen cabinets that you're painting.) Paint doesn't stick to grease.

If your cabinets are squeaky clean and free of grease then I'd wonder whether you have a bum can of paint, perhaps one lacking adequate drier.

How long have you had this primer and where did you buy it? If it's old, perhaps that could be the problem? Possibly someone else could offer some suggestions here.

As far as using a paint remover, that's really not necessary. Just make sure your cabinets are clean and just scuff sand them to rough up the finish. When I washed my cabinets, I used a Scotchbrite sponge, and the scratchy surface actually did a good job of preparing the surface and only a light sanding was needed after that.

This is not a fun job, but the end result will be well worth it.