Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarschlos_remodeler

Mid Century Modern help needed (long; lots of photos)

Hi all -- We have a 1962 mid century side-split level that has some pretty serious mid-century vibes. Unfortunately, I have more eclectic tendencies, so we need a little help making everything work together. I have removed some 1980s mirrors that were once glued to my fireplace wall, but now I'm stymied. How do I fix this fireplace and make it really warm and inviting without ruining the mid-century lines of the house?

The mantel is this rather monolithic wall above the firebox that sticks out beyond the firebox by about 6 inches. The surround and hearth are travertine that goes all the way across the wall, starting at the fireplace and running all the way to the half wall/catwalk. The room is asymmetrical, with two very large floor-to-ceiling picture windows in the corner on the other side of the fireplace. My inclination is to replace the drywall and find a chunky wood post-style mantel and give the protruding wall a vibrant accent color, while keeping the rest of the walls fairly muted. But I may be totally off base.

Background: We use this room as our TV room. We have two young kids and a dog -- white/off white is out of the question. Warm, cozy and comfortable are VERY important. The room is carpeted with a loop pile in a medium toned brown that picks up the browns in the fireplace travertine. Carpet is new; someday maybe we'll put wood in, but I really like the comfort of carpet.

I don't want to go too far into the mid-century modern realm because we have some lovely and more traditional furnishings to work into the scheme. We need to replace our sofa (currently a traditional styled sectional that is blocking the view of the fireplace) with something (a settee-style sectional? a modern sofa and an Eames chair?).

Here is the fireplace in its current form:

Fireplace

Here is our gallery wall on the catwalk above the living room: Gallery Wall You can also see the top of another fairly traditional looking floor lamp from this picture

Here is our front entry, which is open to the living room:

Front Entry

Here is our coffee table: MCM coffee table

Here are the wrenches in a "pure" MCM design:

Tufted reading chair and leather ottoman

Deco-esque console

Traditional style entertainment center Sorry -- this is a picture from the old house.

The room (not including the entry) is approx. 19' long X 14' deep.

Comments (132)

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

side note: jakabedy, you're *not* allowed to say anything negative about that wonderful, wonderful house (and land) of yours. I remember when you first posted it and we were all lusting after it. I'm so happy you're in it and caring for it. It's *beautiful*.

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

Maybe it's like a genital shame thing... Does Jakabedy not know that her house is drop dead gorgeous and completely desirable? Maybe she doesn't. Find you house-love, Jakabedy!!

: D

• jakabedy
    16 years ago

Thanks, all. It IS a great house. Just yesterday DH and I were saying how lucky we were to have found it. Our transition from barley twist to Twister was quick and painless! But I just wanted to let the OP know that there are crazier fireplaces out there.

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

I love that! Barley twist to Twister. Brilliant!

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

jakabedy -- Your house is much more MCM than mine (that atrium in your kitchen/family room is really funkadelic). It's what mine aspires to be but the builder dumbed down our MCM for the suburban crowd. While we have MCM elements (weird fireplace, large windows stuck in the corner of the rooms for an asymmetrical look, painted brick wall blocking the front entry), most of the house has a very traditional 50s split level vibe to it -- paneled den with wet bar and louvered pocket doors, kitchen closed off from the rest of the house, no open great room areas. Gives me some flexibility in how MCM to go, which is good, since I'm not a huge fan of slab-front wenge wood cabinetry.

The existing travertine is not filled, or sealed, and has large holes, fissures and deep cracks along the hearth. Apparently heat is very bad for travertine, making it a fantastic choice for a fireplace hearth and surround. :-) I'm really in love with that limestone and asymmetrical mantle shelf that chicoryflower put together. if I was better at photoshop, I would try to add in some of my furniture to get a better feel for how it will look together. I'm still unsure whether it would be better to go more traditional for the fireplace or to go with the asymmetrical look.

Definitely getting rid of the drywalled bump out. It's just really ugly in person. Sort of makes me think of buying knock off clothes. It looks kinda like the real thing, but there's just something ... off ... about it that I can't place my finger on.

BTW, flyleft -- we had an arco lamp ages ago, but I got rid of it because my DH would never let me turn it on -- said it made him feel like a chicken mcnugget under the heat lamps -- and no guests would ever sit on that end of the sofa. That lamp definitely have a bad case of form over function. :-)

• roguevalley
    16 years ago

Since your fireplace area is assymetrical anyway (windows on one side and not the other, sloped ceiling, etc.), I think it's just natural to do the actual fireplace assymetrical also.

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

Sarah, do you want to see other looks for the room?

You could leave the area next to the FP drywall or even build in bookshelves so that it doesn't appear part of the limestone.

What I figured was that the room is asymmetrical already, and to just run with the feeling the room has already will make it feel more like it's the way it's supposed to be.

If you can take more head on pictures of your furniture or single them out a bit, I'd be happy to put some more of them in your room.

It's a beautiful room and you have a lot of possibilities.

You could also do limestone all over that whole wall and just make it all look the same (I'm sure it would cost a bit more).

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

Here's your room with the bottom "bump out" removed, but with the mantle shelf going all the way across.

{{!gwi}}

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

Here it is with the mantle on the chimney breast only.

{{!gwi}}

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, chicory. I've tried to get better pics of the furniture we're keeping (sorry -- no sofa because we don't have one for that room yet, so feel free to stick whatever in the sofa location). So far I'm really preferring the first asymmetrical version, but just to be sure, could I also see the fireplace looking really traditional?

Okay here are the photos:

Traditional fireplace ideal
    a href="http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj317/sarschlos/?action=view&current=img043.jpg"; target="_blank">

Entertainment center (sorry about the toys and "Little Bill" -- was trying to take quick pic while DH had them in the bath)

Side view of coffee table, mccobb-esque sofa, and funky chairs (from old house)
    http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj317/sarschlos/?action=view&current=PICT1178.jpg

Sideboard and table lamp
    a href="http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj317/sarschlos/?action=view&current=IMG_1110.jpg"; target="_blank">

Floor lamp

Reading chair, ottoman and floor lamp

Side table

DH's "alien" sculpture :-)

Head-on view of coffee table

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bumping for chicoryflower.

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

Sarah, every fiber of my being says that I can't make a traditional mantle in your home.

It looks like you just want to turn your contemporary home into a "traditional" looking house, which is fine, but as a lover of modern design and an advocate for preserving MCM architecture, I can't. bring. myself. to. do. it.

I'm sorry - I really don't mean to be snarky or mean, but it just makes me want to cry, honestly.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

chicoryflower, wow. I had no intention of turning our house into a 1910 cottage, and I'm sorry to have offended you about the direction of my fireplace. FWIW, I am not trying to turn the house into something it's not, but I don't have a true MCM house. Since it was built in So. Cal. in 1962, it has MCM leanings, but it's no Eichler. It's not even an Eichler wanna-be. Nor is it in an Eichler neighborhood. It's just a suburban house built in the Brady Bunch era in the general Brady Bunch locale. I am trying to figure out what will look best in this house, not an MCM dream house, and while I like the asymmetrical limestone fireplace a lot (and I'm pretty sure that's the direction we want to go), I thought it would be best to see what our furniture looks like with that fireplace and to test out something more traditional in photoshop to make sure we don't make a costly mistake IRL. I thought that's what you offered to do.

You asked for straight on shots of our furniture to put it in the photoshop room, so that's what I provided. We plan to add an MCM sofa and possibly an Eames chair/ottoman next to the fireplace, but those are future purchases. Before we start buying more furniture in our already overstuffed house, we need to fix the structure.

I'm not really sure why you are so upset with trying all the angles to make sure things fit together, but I am sorry.

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

I'm not that upset, Sarah. It takes hours to do a treatment of a room like this. I can't underscore that enough; it can take a whole day. I won't bore you with the details. : )

If you just want to make the room look traditional, it'll be fine, but I don't want to put hours into giving you a sneak preview. It's nothing against you or your home, or your freedom to make it sing to you, but I decided a while back that I wasn't going to take part in the butchering of an MCM home.

The lovely S&R bungalows from the 20's were just tract housing back in their day.

I won't pontificate, but this is a sticking point for me.

I asked for furniture because you said you wanted to see what your furnishings would look like with the FP. I didn't expect another room redesign too (and it would take significant redesigning).

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

chicory, I thank you very much for all of the time you've put in helping me see the fireplace in a new light! The limestone and mantel look great, and have given me a lot of inspiration.

If you're still willing to help, I would like to see my furnishings with the asymmetrical limestone fireplace; that's why I posted the pictures. I was pretty excited about it, even to the point of considering moving my favorite chair to a new room.

The traditional fireplace was just a thought to make sure we're taking the house in the correct direction specifically because I don't want to "butcher" it.

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

I know this is probably some Mercury in retrograde thing - I hope there are no hard feelings.

I'll be happy to photoshop in your furniture. It's going to take a while.

• roguevalley
    16 years ago

I'm cheering you on Sars and crossing my fingers you don't go traditional - I'm living vicariously through you!!! You have the chance to do something bold and funky and actually get away with it!!!

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

Sarah, I just wanted to tell you I think your house is great.

It really reminds me of the houses in my neighborhood growing up. I was born in 1962 in sounthern CA - can a person be MCM? I would love to have a house like yours to decorate.

• prairiegirlz5
    16 years ago

Hey just checking back in to see what you decided.

Not sure why your ottoman bugs me so much, LOL, if you put a skirted slipcover on it (like in the first pic of the last set of photos you posted sara), I would like it better with your chair.

I think you should go with the limestone treatment, its very classic, tweaked the MCM just enough to bring it in harmony with your traditional pieces, without having to (sob) 86 your favorite chair!

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, chicory. I really do appreciate your help.
    daisy, it is a fun house, but not easy to decorate!
    prairie, I don't know why the ottoman bugs you. I like that it doesn't go with the chair. We had one made to match the chair and it fell apart, so I wanted something super sturdy (the babes like to climb on it) and easy to clean.

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

You know, sarschlos, I would have gladly taken that Arco lamp, fries and all--where I have in mind for it doesn't get much natural light and the warmth would have been welcome :)

(and no, IMO you're not doing anything wrong by not having a "traditional" fireplace superimposed over a fabulous modern asymmetrical one -- go ahead and do the big beam and stone to the ceiling and you'll hear the house breathe a sigh of relief :))

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If I still had the ARco lamp, it would be yours, flyleft. I think I might have figured out what is continuing to bother me about the fireplace. It's just so HUGE compared to the size of the fairly small room and all of the low-profile windows, doors, and ceilings in the main part of the house that it's out of proportion.

Chicory -- if you have the time, could I see the asymmetrical version with the beam going all the way across, but with drywall above the beam and limestone all the way across? Wondering if I simply reduce the profile of the bump out so that it is the same depth as the firebox and add the mantel if that would feel more in proportion with the rest of the room.

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

So you want the FP in limestone and the wall beneath the beam, limestone, and a drywall "breast" and then a deeper shelf area on the side with drywall also?

I think that would look great, but I'm just making sure that's what you're after.

Doing limestone up that whole breast would be pricey I imagine. (...and it's probably easier to hang art if it's NOT stone).

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, that's what I want to see. limestone surrounding the firebox all the way to the half wall, then a beam mantel over the firebox and continuing into a deeper shelf area on the side, with drywall over the mantle and shelf. Hoping it will be less $$$.

• roguevalley
    16 years ago

Wonder if the the proportion of the fireplace to the room is why the original brick only went midway up the wall to mantel height? Maybe the architect instinctively knew that above the brick there needed to be drywall to reduce the visual weight? Just a thought.

After all you'be been through with this project so far, have you been able to determine just what the original builder installed for the fireplace design? It's possible you don't have to reinvent the wheel, only refine it.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The monolith was the original design, strangely enough. I was talking to my next door neighbor, who has lived here since the houses were built, and the builder was a young guy who took a lot of MCM elements so that the plans were very interesting, but then took a lot of "short cuts" when it came time to actually build the houses. My guess is that the drywall monolith was done to cut costs at the last minute.

If I just reduce the size of the upper breast so that it is the same depth as the firebox, add the mantel at the same height as the half wall (where the nice brick stops) and replace the surround, I think that might refine as opposed to reinventing.

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

The monolith might have been OK, perhaps, in something like limestone, but the half-baked, half-bricked drywall thing... We had a modern home, circa 1974. The original was much higher quality than our model (they placed the house on the lot wrong, so that the picture windows looked at the neighbors' houses and not the mountain view).

The original had windows at the tops of the front stone walls, and we opted for that, but we didn't get it. Stupid builders!

If you build out the bottom to match the depth of the monolith, but leave the area next to the fireplace at the depth it's at now, would that work?

You'd have to replace your firebox, but it might be better in the long run.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Based on the insides of the monolith -- and the way it protrudes nearly 12'' into the room (including the firebox), it will be cheaper, easier and nicer to reduce the size of the drywalled area than to replace the firebox.

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

So, could you just limestone up to the top of the brick, then step back your drywall?

Maybe do the side bit at the same height as the brick?

How far up did the brick go? Is it like a normal brick fireplace?

Sorry if I'm slow, I'm just trying to figure out how it's all constructed.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No worries! It's totally confusing. The brick goes up a few inches higher than the travertine (probably about 6'' higher than the travertine). There is a header/support beam on top of the brick. My idea is to put the mantle where the shelf is now and continue it accross the fireplace at the same height, limestone where the travertine is now, and reduce the drywall bump out above to the same depth as the travertine (soon to be limestone) area. The wall above the shelf and next to the fireplace would continue to be recessed back from the fireplace "breast" area by about 6'' (reduced from approx. 12''). So that side will look sort of like a niche. In this picture you can see what I mean (hopefully). As you can see, we currently use that side area as an art display area. I would like the shelf to be deeper there -- extending as far out as the mantle shelf and back into the recessed area. Then this would become a spot for books and a little something else, creating a nice reading spot next to the fireplace with a view out the picture windows. In the picture, the hearth stops where the coffee table starts -- I want to keep the hearth in the same location.

Does anyone know if limestone can withstand heat from a gas log fireplace? Second-guessing my stone choice, although it sure is pretty.

• roguevalley
    16 years ago

This thread is getting long! So I saw this pic and thought I would forward it. If you really want that monolith to disappear - this could be an option. Nothing but drywall, a small surround, and some slate.

Here is a link that might be useful: minimalistic fireplace

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey rogue -- that link won't let me in. It's not that I want the fireplace to disappear, just the big sticky-outy part that dwarfs the firebox. I do want a mantle shelf, and I like the hearth and surround part. I want it to be a focal point in a GOOD way, IYKWIM.

• roguevalley
    16 years ago

does this work?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

nevermind, I got it (had to register). That's interesting but I think too tall.

This is sort of what I was thinking, but I would have the hearth/mantle go all the way to the catwalk, then shelves up above in the recessed area next to the fireplace/chimney area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Minimalist fireplace surround

• roguevalley
    16 years ago

Ya know what? - I think you have a winner right there!!! That is very nice. I love the simplicity.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey chicory, did I lose you with that last one?

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

No, sorry, I had people over all day, and I'm supposed to be at a book club meeting now... I think I've decided I don't like my book club, though.

OK, I can't see the link. Could you copy the photo into a jpg and post it here? I know it's a few steps, but I don't want to register at BHG (enough spam already).

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, here it is. Would like to see this concept, except keeping the asymmetrical limestone hearth and the rustic mantle shelf. Shelves on the side would be rustic, too.

• LisaBC
    16 years ago

What brand is Cameo colored paint?

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lisabc -- I don't know the answer, just bumping in case chicory missed your question.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey chicory -- just checking in to see how you're feeling?

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

Oh, I feel like death warmed over. : (

...but I'm sitting upright and I'm able to check a thread or two every now and then, so it can't be that bad, right?

How are you? I hope you and your family aren't doing the February everything-that-comes-down-the-pike thing.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We had The Crud last month. On the bright side, my immunities have improved vastly in the last 4 years! Feel better soon.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bumping for chicory. Sorry I disappeared for a few days! I've been very very busy with fam and work, and I think I caught your cold last week. :-D

• chicoryflower
    16 years ago

This was a baaaaad cold. I should have known days before I was headed downhill. Ugh.

OK, I'm going to keep this open and work on it tonight and tomorrow morning. I should have something tolerable to look at soon. : )

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bumping for chicory.

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

sarschlos, thought of you when I saw this on apartment therapy...

Here is a link that might be useful: it's a heavy overhang! But it looks great...

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That is pretty, flyleft. I think the reasons it works are the very high ceiling, the continuing brick work on the wall surrounding the mantel, and the raised hearth.
    Although that vertical brick makes me wonder about maybe doing stone of some sort in a vertical brick pattern instead of the square limestone tiles. Too trendy perhaps?

• lyfia
    16 years ago

Sarschlos - the limestone is fine for a fireplace. Ours is limestone and my last two houses before that was limestone too.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, lyfia. I'm sure the limestone will be fine; I was actually intrigued by the vertically laid bricks in the picture flyleft posted, but that vertical brick thing might be too trendy whereas the limestone seems to be pretty classic.