Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmhmmgood_gw

soapstone island pix

mmhmmgood
12 years ago

The drama surrounding my soapstone island is over finally! Yay! I have reached an agreement with the fabricator regarding compensation for the mistake made and am looking forward to putting it all behind me. I still would rather have paid full price and had the island oriented the direction we had been planning and I'm still a bit sad. But since there's no going back I'm not going to keep looking back. Onward from here to the completion of the rest of the details that will give me a functioning kitchen! Here are some pix as promised, and there are more in the photobucket album if you want to see more.

Again, I appreciate the opportunity to vent last week and look forward to your comments on the island as is. I don't need coddling, you can give me your honest opinion!

Enjoy!

install in progress:

Overall kitchen:

Island from above unoiled:

Oiled close up:

Comments (10)

• jalsy6
    12 years ago

Honestly, it's spectacular. And if I hadn't followed all the drama, I don't think I'd really miss the center of that vein so so much. There's so much there that IS beautiful! Good for you for not looking back, that is always easier said than done!

• jscout
    12 years ago

Ok, I see where you were getting at. Now I understand. I think it still looks great. Enjoy it.

• Lake_Girl
    12 years ago

I think it's turning out beautifully! Can't wait to see it all finished. What type of soapstone do you have?

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

It's lovely. I think its one of those things that only you will know there was an issue. Enjoy it!

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! And I love your red cabinets in the island.
    Your kitchen is shaping up to be a big WOW!

• mmhmmgood
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks jalsy, jscout, lake girl, dilly and francoise.

Lake Girl, it is called "Anastacia" from M.Teixeira imported/sourced in Canada through Greensville Soapstone.

an addendum for any Canadians out there who are wondering about the process: I dealt directly with Greensville, they were incredibly helpful and great to work with. They shipped me samples (I paid the cost of the shipping but this was refundable with an order) of several of the M.Tex soapstones. When I decided on the Anastacia they didn't have the size of slab I needed in stock but were able to get larger slabs in the right size from M.Tex in New Jersey. They imported the slabs for me and then shipped directly to my fabricator in Alberta. They also do their own fabricating, but this was the route that worked best for me. After shipping the stone, despite their part of the process essentially being over they continued to be involved and answered questions for me and for the fabricator regarding the appropriate honing for the slabs.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I think its beautiful! My favorite thing though? Getting another peek at those red cabs! Hehe!

• jkoebnick
    12 years ago

I love your red island!!! Soapstone is beautiful!

• momo7
    12 years ago

I want soapstone!

I understand your earlier distress but it would never cross my mind if I was sitting there to wonder why the sink is where it is. I would be too busy trying to keep my drool off that stone while massaging it with my hands.

Thanks for the info too, even though we're far off from needing it, I'm going to contact Greensville for some samples.

Btw, your kitchen is well on its way to gorgeous!

• angel411
    12 years ago

Very beautiful! I still see drama and beauty in that slab- nothing to worry about. I cannot wait to see that kitchen finished- wow!