Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzienj

Help decorate our guest bedroom! pics

suzienj
14 years ago

New house, new projects- lol

WE have a guest room- to be used for my mom and others... its a great sized room but i can't seem to find my furniture-- i would say our house is "traditional" in style. Thinking about a brown toned furiture style- i love ballard designs style but didn't see anything that jumped out at me.... I did try an upholstered headboard but that didn't go well- it was too short-- i need height approx 57-60 inches high... There was this one on craigslist but i'm afraid its too "modern" for my traditional home? and its high 61 high at the highest point- might be too high and also since its just a headboard i hear that its not completely secure so it can move back and forth- not sure i would like that....{{!gwi}} and the ones online are too much $$ - restoration etc.... so now i'm thinking wood? Or Iron??

I did buy the bedding and pillows--- so now i need the furniture-- what would you put where? I was thinking some sort of either reading chair (to the right of the bed by the door) or bench(by the window) a dresser, nightstand-- and then something higher for under the TV-- the console there now will go-- its temporary-- too low for the space. Any thoughts? Pics??

View from entry door

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

To the right of the bed

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

By the bay window

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

TV area- looking to replace console with something a bit higher

{{!gwi}}

Attached bathroom- just to see style- brushed nickel hardware

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

FYI outside the room

Comments (22)

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Suzie, you have a beautiful home and lovely guest room and bath for your Mom and other guests to enjoy during their visits. Looking at it from the guests point of view I'd like a settee or built in bench in the bar area to sit and relax, maybe read a book but yet be able to gaze out the window too.

A dress for under the TV for towels and bed linens would be nice for both you and the guest.

I'd put the nightstand on the wall closest to the entry and also a long dresser to be kept empty for the guests to place their items when staying more than a night or two. Maybe a cheval mirror in the corner between the night stand and dresser.

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

Personally, I think that CL upholstered headboard would look lovely in that room, and not too "modern" at all. To keep the headboard from rocking, you should attach it with long bolts that go through the bed frame and legs of the headboard. It's a simple enough procedure. If the legs don't already have holes in them for this type of set-up, all you need to do is measure it against your bed frame, and drill the holes through the legs. This is what we did when I made an upholstered headboard for my daughter's guest room. Usually all bed frames already have the openings, so that headboards can be attached. Once they are securely bolted together, there should be no wobbling.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bedframe bolts

• fillagirl
    14 years ago

I actually think the headboard would go too. You could re-upholster it in a fabric of your choice. I also can see a chair and table in the bay window area, a place to read and wind down from the day.

Your guests are very lucky to have such a wonderful room with adjoining bathroom!

• sheesh
    14 years ago

Definitely a chair and reading lamp. I'm a person who must read for a while every night before getting into bed. It's going to be a lovely room.

Grandma Sherry, who loves to go to her son's house now that he put a chair in the guest room!

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

My 91 year old Mom comes and stays with me once or twice a year. In her room (guest bedroom) I was blessed to get her and my Dad's first bedroom set (I remember it as a little kid so am thrilled to have it). It includes the bed, 2 night stands, dressing table and chest of drawers. I have added to the room a TV and am on the verge of doing some major decorating in there (wallpaper, etc.). These are the things I have changed to accommodate her.

1) New Mattress set...she actually picked it out and bought it.
    2) She likes to have some magazines to look at and stationary, so I make that available.
    3) A comfortable couch so she can easily get dressed.
    4) Good reading light by the bed where she likes to read.
    5) Night lights and a big flashlight for her use, so she can see when she gets up at night.
    6) In the closet...plenty of hangers and shoe bag, as she does keep some clothes at my house and a hamper.
    7) Good linens now...she previously complained about cheap sheets and silky comforters that slipped off the bed.
    9) Bathroom...there is all the necessities stored under the sink. When I had my house built, I changed the tub out for a double shower and have a bench for her to sit on. Wish I would have stayed with the tub though as most guests prefer that I think.

Your guest bath looks beautiful. Think your bedroom will be great and definitely a chair or love seat and possibly a luggage rack to set suitcases on. If you have the ability, you can always make a padded headboard and attach to the wall. Or buy one already made and cover it in fabric to blend in with the beautiful linens you have. Look forward to seeing your finished room.

Here is a link that might be useful: making a headboard

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

I also think that Headboard would go very well in that room and then I would mount it right on the wall with the cleat system.
    Your guests are lucky.

• loribee
    14 years ago

Yes to everything you suggested...you have good taste and a lovely home! :)

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

Your home is so nice, I know your guest room will be too. I think that some nightstands by the bed (and I like the upholstered headboard) for a lamp, water carafe, magazines, candle, etc. would be nice. A bench by the bay windows would be useful as well as keep the window area open. A chair would be especially nice to have in the room, if there is a place for it. I keep a luggage rack in my guest bedroom, but if you have room for a dresser, that would be nicer.

• dawnp
    14 years ago

Your home is lovely!

I love the brown bathroom!

I think all your ideas are right on but I do think the CL headboard would work. I'm attaching a link for an easy headboard that Martha Stewart had on her show a couple of weeks ago. She has an easy method for hanging it.

The one thing I would suggest is that you add an accent color to the brown and cream - perhaps the lime green in the towels.

Have fun with your new home!

Here is a link that might be useful: Martha Stewart Headboard

• suzienj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Woo hoo-- got it on CL-- the couple was renovating their home- ordered the queen size- home was complete and they realized their guest room would hold a king size bed so they reordered in the king size-- Restoration wouldnt take it back b/c its a custom order-- so it was brand new!! still wrapped up... Got it for $500-- would have cost $1300+ tax in the store.... yeah my first CL deal!

Check it out.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Going to go to restoration and pottery barn tomorrow to see about side tables and such. Either i will pull in the green color or a blue color (and get new towels)-- we'll see....

to be continued....

• htnspz
    14 years ago

The headboard and the linens are more transitional (more modern than traditional). I don't think that it's matching the rest of the house so I would go in a different direction. I think it's okay to bring some more modern elements to a traditional design but I think that there is too much of a design difference in the bathroom (and heading toward your choices in the bedroom) and the house will lose it's flow somewhat.
    I would either change out some of the linens (bathroom included) or use the headboard.

• Lyban zone 4
    14 years ago

That was a great find. You are lucky. How did you attach it to bed or wall.

• suzienj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

we have not attached it yet--- we need to look at the bed frame to see if its able to attach -otherwise we will get the appropriate frame- DH does not want to attach to wall-- its pretty sturdy even though its not attached....

HTN-- i hear you about transitional-- i kind of felt like i was liking that style but yes the rest of our house is traditional-- i'm keeping the headboard- so i'll see what else i come up with... I also think the bed needs an ivory throw blanket and a nice bench (thats lighter by the foot of the bed)... to be continued

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

I think you are heading in the right direction suz...the headboard looks awesome. I agree with you, a simple ivory throw on the bed would be great. I love the brown, it is so rich and the powder blue or kiwi green would look fabulous. I like your bathroom and think those towels are beautiful.

• loribee
    14 years ago

Love it...keep us posted!

• crescent50
    14 years ago

The headboard looks great and I agree about picking up an accent color - I think that the lime green in the towels hanging in the bathroom would be perfect.

Did I mention how much I love that bathroom? The colors are so rich and warm.

GL Suzie- you are doing a wonderful job making your new house into a beautiful home!

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

Wow! Great score!I would bring in the green from the towels in to the bedroom with two green throw pillows for the bed or any pillow that has the same green as in the towels.

• suzienj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you ladies!!

Crescent last night we had the family over - 5 nieces and my 2 kids- laughing/playing really made the house feel like a home!!!

• crescent50
    14 years ago

Perfect Suzie- I promised my 6 year old that we would host a big super bowl party next year!

Glad you are enjoying- btw, I have been meaning to mention- my 6 year old boy has the same bedding as your son and my 2 year old girl has the same paint color as your daughters beautiful room.
    Guess us NJ girls think alike??? Needless to say, I love both of your choices :)

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

Great score on the headboard! I agree with suggestions for an accent color in lime green or blue (first choice). I would change out the brown pillows closest to the head board for ones of your accent color you plan to use, get the end tables, etc. It's a lovely spot for your Mom and I think it flows just fine with the rest of your house. A bedroom does not need to have the same level of formality/style as the living room on the floor below.

• suzienj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is the ivory throw i got today- sooooo soft! Now i need a bench at the end of the bed- or something at the end to break it up...

Also i think you are right- possibly i will change out the brown pillows for either green or blue - i love my towels with the green-- but i love Blue and Brown together... Green flows better with the rest of my house-- which color should i pick up??

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

The new throw looks great. You can always get shams to cover the euro pillows you have. cream euros would look nice and tie into the new throw,but place the sleeping pillows behind the euros.Tthen place the two gold square pillows in front of the euros and smaller accent color pillows (green or blue) in front of those. The small matching boudoir pillow can go in front or it can be placed on a chair in front of the window. What a pretty room!