Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsandrews_gw

Difference between 'cream' and 'off white'?

mrsandrews
16 years ago

Hello, I've recently discovered this wonderful forum. I've mainly been over on kitchens but thought I'd come here for this tricky question. It seems there are lots of you over on this thread who know a great deal about color.

I dont have a great eye for color and have been told to go with true "cream" cabinets as opposed to "off white".

What is the difference between cream and off white?

When I picture them, I guess I picture cream as having a bit more yellow and off white having a bit more grey, but I have no idea really.

Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise!

Lisa

Comments (9)

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

It's all boils down to interpretation, I guess, but I've always viewed off white as having more gray or brown (leaning almost to tan) undertones, while cream is just that, not a stark white, but the color of dairy cream. ;) Off white being a bit deeper that cream.

I snagged these off the web. All have true white in them for comparison. I'd consider the ones below "off white" (note the depth compared to the white in the wall):
    {{!gwi}}

I'd consider these a cream (lighting in photo isn't the best, but note the depth compared to the white trim, it's very subtle, but the cabs are just a bit deeper and warmer than the trim in the room):
    {{!gwi}}

Then there's something I'd consider that falls in between the two. These are maple cabs that have glaze and speckle applied per manufacturer site. I'd consider them 'antiqued', usually done with cream paint, and the darker glaze clings to nooks and crannies to give an aged effect. So it's deeper than a cream but not as deep as off white, and not solid color because of the effect the glaze brings into it. You can use the white ceiling for comparison to a true white.

{{!gwi}}

• Ina Plassa_travis
    16 years ago

that's about it -

cream tends towards the warm, off-white tends towards the cool.

creams tend to be palely yellow, but can have sand tones( the slightest hint of tan)

off-whites tend to use grays and browns as tones, producing non-colors that eventually look like button mushrooms.

• mrsandrews
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much moonshadow and chinacat. I sure appreciate the responses, especially the pictures. I love those cabs in the last photo, that's the look Im trying to achieve. Happy Sunday!

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

You're welcome! ;)

• Faron79
    16 years ago

In our store...we hear that all the time!!
    "I'd like a nice off-white"...

Aaaauuggh! There's only a THOUSAND "Off-Whites"!!!
    Some are Rosey, Gray-ish, Blue-ish, Ivory, Tan-ish, Green-ish, Peach-ish.......ad nauseum...

There. "Rant" over & done! ;-)
    (I feel better!)

Faron

• mrsandrews
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL Faron. :-) Glad ya feel better.
    Please excuse the ignorance on my part. I know it must be frustrating sometimes. So how would you answer the question? Is the defining factor in a "true cream" color that the white includes some small amount of yellow? Whearas "off white" is just that it could be white with blue, pink, peach, tan, etc. in it?

• Faron79
    16 years ago

Mrsandrews,
    LOL...I'm glad you took my "rant" in humor!! That's how I meant it!

Like earlier posts, My view of "Creams" leans to the Ivory-yellow-tan tones. Some of our most popular "Creams" have just small amounts of "C" colorant (Yellow-Oxide), t/w "L" (Brown). Some Creams have C & "AX" (Bright yellow). "T" is an Oranger-Yellow, sometimes used in Creams.

The "C" colorant (Yellow-Oxide) is the most frequently used in MANY colors....kind of a Yellow-Gold/Brown.
    We've gone through 30 Qts. of this colorant PER WEEK sometimes...!!

"Off-Whites"....this is the SERIOUSLY-vague one! From Reds to Blues...to Minty-tones through Grays...IT BOGGLES THE MIND!!

Faron

• mrsandrews
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Faron, I take most everything with humor. Makes for a much happier life than assuming people mean any harm. I like to laugh a lot.

Thanks for the very specific answer. That helps a lot!

• janicegoossens_mac_com
    12 years ago

I'm remodeling and my bedroom furniture is cottage colored and I want to do the wainscoating to match my furnitre with white shutters and white trim around the windows. A door will separate the bathroom and want to do white wainscoating in that room?
    Someone told me cream of cottage cream doesn't go with white?

The top of the walls will be a darker blue and the bathroom will be a grey blue?

thanks