Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan5_2007

home depot silestone

jan5_2007
15 years ago

When we moved into our house, we knew we had to replace the harvest gold laminate kitchen countertops. Fast forward 20 years, we're still talking about it!

Today, I went to HD to see what different materials would cost. They have 3 silestone choices that are $39.00 sq. ft.

That worked out to $257.00 more than wilsonart.

The salesperson assured us the quality of the $39.00 silestone is the same as the higher priced ones. One of the colors will work well for us.

Is this too good to be true? Am I missing something?

If we decide to do this, would tile work for a backsplash or should the silestone be carried up the back?

The silestone pattern is blanco city, the cabinets are oak and it's pretty traditional.

Comments (4)

• valley57
    15 years ago

We have Silestone's Stellar Meadow. We are very pleased with it. We replaced existing formica but since we already had a tile backsplash which we liked we did not replace the backsplash. I think either way would work.

• tradewind_64
    15 years ago

All the Silestone is the same quality, some colors cost more. It's all some special recipe of 90% quartz with resin binders. Zodiaq and Caesarstone are the same recipe, they are just different colors, and different marketing. Essentially it's all engineered quartz. I have heard Silestone bragging about some special microban addition, of which I am extremely skeptical.

I do not think there are any problems with putting tile all the way down the counter edge, you don't need a Silestone backsplash if you don't care for one. My sister has a tile all the way down to her Zodiaq countertop, it looks great.

I also just want to say...you might want to shop around for price. HD always seems to be about double the price of the smaller shops in my area (Twin Cities metro), which makes sense, since they use the same local subcontractors, give them what they ask for, and then add on a big ol' chunk for being the middleman. The engineered quartz is always about the same price in material...it's the install that varies wildly. Of course you may have your reasons for going with HD, like you feel more secure going with a big box store (many peeps do), don't want to deal with looking elsewhere, are using their credit card, they are the only place in town that carries Silestone, etc, in which case pay me no mind! But otherwise...check out some other fabricator shops. You might be shocked at how much lower your bill could be.

Congrats on new countertops!

Joanna

• artlover13060
    15 years ago

What thickness is the $39 selection. I think they have two thicknesses. When I was remodeling my kitchen I considered Silestone, but was told to use the thicker one in the kitchen. Once I price that out it was only a little more to get granite.

• sweeby
    15 years ago

Silestone is a good product and there's nothing wrong with it or with your proposed Silestone + Tile plan. But Tradewind's suggestion to shop around is right on target --

If you like granite, you should also shop granite. Where we are, I've seen lots of choices between $25-35/SF, installed. Not every stone certainly, but several.