Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellaflora_gw

how far would you drive for (good) paint

bellaflora
15 years ago

I am painting my DD's room in F&B Middleton pink. I miscalculated and now need more paint. ;-( I've tried to have the color custom matched w/o success. Now I am thinking of driving from San diego to LA to get the paint (maybe 1.5h each way) from the F&B store.

This is crazy isn't it?

I know folks have driven long distance to get EK paint...

Comments (14)

• Michael
    15 years ago

They ship UPS which would have saved you enough gasoline to buy more paint.

Michael

• Faron79
    15 years ago

Oh, what some people won't do for Primo Paint...;-)

(I'm sure there's OTHER shopping stops in LA you could do though?!?!?)

Faron

• Michael
    15 years ago

What? Prada?

Let's not go there...again! :)

Michael

• bellaflora
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can't wait for UPS - I have guests coming to town this Saturday and need to have this room done yesterday. :-)

The F&B shop is on Melrose, quite close to Beverly Hills --
    Maybe I can stop by Rodeo Drive for some shopping then swing by Dr. Rey for some "enhancement" ... :-)

I am too old for Prada - but Jimmy Choo will do. ;-)

• pirula
    15 years ago

F&B is worth the drive. But seriously, too bad you can't just order from Cox Paint. It usually takes just a couple of days.

Ivette

• bellaflora
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Pirula,

I know YOU would understand. :-)
    I have designer account w/ Melrose shop - I don't think Cox will give designer discount.

• Faron79
    15 years ago

"Things that make me go Hmmmm..."

* Michael bringing up Prada THIS time...!
    * BF bringing up "Getting work done..." with Dr. Rey...
    * Shopping on Melrose...

(this is TOO funny...wink, wink!!)

I can't resist this...
    BF-
    Does this mean you may be on Dr. Rey's show sometime?!?!?
    ;-)

Faron

(wellll...I s'pose Paint & Fashion kinda go together. We DO sell RL paints...)

• bellaflora
    Original Author
    15 years ago

haha..Faron...

I am the blond one.
    The *true* blond one *G*

• Michael
    15 years ago

*true* blond?

This is the paint forum!

*wink*

Michael

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Well, I drove 1.5 each way for EK this week. Couldn't bring myself to go all the way into town for the F&B though. Just too aggravating. Will have to do the F&B myself after the builder is out.

I inquired about overnight shipping from Canada. It's $85 for the first can and $25 for each one thereafter. I said no thanks.

Bella, I was offered a 10% discount as a color consultant. Do they offer more with ASID?

So, you are in SD now? I guess I didn't realize that. I will be out there for more color classes in November. Maybe we can have lunch... :-)

• bellaflora
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Amy:

I moved to San Diego couple years ago. I love SD but my heart is in LA. When you come over, we can do more than just lunch (if you have time that is). I can drive you up to LA to hang out at Melrose area, or even fabric market downtown. If you are up to it, that is.

I paid 4.55 for a sample pot and about 48$/gallon estate emulsion. Totally worth the drive. Plus it's an excuse to go up there and hang out w/ my favorite bro (not Dr. Rey!) I just finished my DD's room in Middleton pink and holly that pink is gorgeous - it turns between pinkish white to deeper pink to purple. Amazing.

I will email you.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    15 years ago

I'd make the drive. Understand completely.

I too made a quest for EK this week (started last week actually). Moved into a brand new house and the whole thing is beiged out with KWAL and SW colors. I thought I could deal with it but I can't. I can appreciate a good neutral as much as anybody but holy cow it feels so incredibly dead and flat.

Ellen went above and beyond to get 10 gallons to me stat. I'm a color junkie and needed it pronto.

It did take some time to get a brand new ICI dealer up to speed on full spectrum. There was a bit of a language barrier but we (mostly Ellen) got thru it. I had no idea where the hell I was driving to get my fix -- new town and none of it looks like the golf course laden, sleepy suburban communities around Dublin, Ohio that I'm used to.

Pleasantly surprised to find that via an expressway the ICI store is less than a half hour from my new house. Thank goodness.

Even better is that it's the cutest little independent store. Clean, well organized with friendly and knowledgeable owners/staff. They were positively fascinated with concept of full spectrum color and are eager to learn more and mix more. THEY GET IT! I honestly got in my car and wiped a tear from my eye. THEY GET IT, THEY GET IT, THEY GET IT!

I think I'll be okay here.... but this crap currently on my walls has ta go.

• kingscreek
    15 years ago

bellaflora,

Do you have a picture of the Middleton Pink? We are about to paint my daughter's room and she wanted a pink.

Also what sort of discount do you receive at F&B in LA? I have several people working on my house that have offered to extend their discounts to me.

I am in LB and plan to go to LA next week and then over to Santa Monica for the DKP. Have you been pleased with the service you have received at F&B?

Thanks, Hope

• bellaflora
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kingscreek: sorry I didn't see your follow-up. this may be too late, but...

I love Middleton Pink. You can't go wrong with this pink. My DD (age 4) loves it. I've seen a lot of pink & this is perfect for a little girls' room.

You will have to create an account w/ F&B in Melrose to get the discount. The service there is impeccable. I always test w/ the sample pot first because F&B color is very sensitive to the light. I usually called in my order, paid first, then drop by to pick it up.

F&B paint is very addictive. I just painted my kitchen "Skylight" and wow -- I'm in love. :-) I am very happy w/ all the colors from F&B.

I live in SD north county maybe we can do a LA trip together. Have you been to the LA fabric market yet?