Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Back of bookcase color

User
12 years ago

We're using this black bookcase in the nursery. (It will be anchored to the wall.) I bought a sheet of beadboard for the back and I'm looking for color suggestions for the backing.

To give you a better finished photo, here's a photo of the exact same bookcase where someone did the same thing with beadboard backing.

{{!gwi}}

It will go against this wall where the paint samples are. I'm painting the room BM Manchester Tan (left sample). The fabric will be the crib skirt and used in other room accents. Dark crib. Navy curtains.

{{!gwi}}

Some color ideas I was tossing around for the backing.

1. Keep it the same as the wall color, Manchester Tan.

2. Paint it the red sample shown, BM Raspberry Truffle. - maybe add a glaze?

3. A rich chocolate brown (I have leftover SW Woodsy Brown paint from my stairs and vanity.)

4. Other. ??

I tried the Bennington Gray but it just looks too green (wrong color) to use. White or even an off white seems too harsh.

I really would rather get the bb painted before attaching the backing.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• neetsiepie
    12 years ago

Are you painting the bookcase or leaving it black? I would either go with a tan a bit richer than the wall color, or the red. IMHO you can't have too much color in a nursery.

So, is baby Shee a 'he'???

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pesky - Oh sorry, forgot to mention the bookcase will stay black. I didn't want to mess with paint scratching from books, baskets, and what not on the shelves. IRL it's not quite so solid, glossy black.

We're having a boy! I'm going the woodland/animal direction. I have a couple random nursery threads going on and very little action is happening right now to complete the room. I'm patiently waiting for things. Ex. crib was to be here today and I won't see it until later next week. Grr.

I was just coming back to add SW Hopsack to the potential list. The colors aren't photographing well. There is a tanish color in the plaid fabric.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

Here's a larger shot of SW Hopsack.
    Monicakm's photo
    {{!gwi}}

Shot of BM Manchester Tan from Adventures In Decorating blog.
    {{!gwi}}

I have a sample of BM Lenox Tan too but I thought the Hopsack had a richer look.

I plan to add a lot of red accents to the room.

• les917
    12 years ago

I would do it the same as the wall color. You are adding interest with the beadboard texture. And, the bookcase is going to be full of stuff, which will become the focal point anyway. If you are planning on a lot of red accents, I would leave the red for those - plus I think a red/black bookcase is going to feel wrong in the space you are creating.

Don't know if I ever said congratulations on the baby on any other thread, so I will add it here - so happy for you!

• graywings123
    12 years ago

My vote is for Manchester Tan, but with a layer of polyurethane or other product over the paint to make it glossier than flat wall paint.

• ttodd
    12 years ago

I thought the red at first and then I saw Hopsack. I'd do Hopsack and add some great red stuffed animals, books, toys or something of the like.

You've chosen well!

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

On a side note, I'll now have the crib later today. I'll never again do a ship to store to save shipping costs. I had other stuff I needed and at the time it seemed pracital. When I got word the crib wasn't going to be in as planned (ridiculous), I made a special trip because I wanted something to work on this week. Now it's in. :) Ha, never again.

Back to the bookcase, I like the idea of the Manchester with a different sheen. I have some satin and gloss poly. I still also like the idea of the Hopsack too. I don't want to end up with too tight of a color palette but if it's not done right, I think things can start to look disjointed.

I do have lots of books to add the case. I'm excited to get them out. I was trying to think about baskets and bins too. I like the look of the lined heavy weave type baskets but it might be better to get cloth or plastic bins.

Still leaning towards adding a fluffy brown (faux) pelt rug to the room but I'll have to see as things progress.

Stay tuned!

• fnmroberts
    12 years ago

Congratulationa!!

A bookcase in our basement has a back painted the same at the wall to make it look built-in.

{{gwi:1540577}}