Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lzerarc

shaker style- 5 piece drawer door or solid?

Epiarch Designs
12 years ago

We are working on finalizing our cabinet quote (locally through Bertch) and are torn between 2 type of door styles. Same finish (super dark, called Sable).

All things are equal as far as slide types, features, cabinet construction type, etc. However there are 2 shaker style door types with a pretty large price difference. We are going with mostly large base drawer cabinets, so that adds to the cost. we are looking at the series with a 5 panel drawer front or a solid panel. On pictures we have looked at, we do not like solid panels on white and lighter stained cabinets, but on the super dark cabinets the panel profile really starts to be hidden. We slightly prefer the 5 piece, but isnt a deal breaker especially since it is about $2000 more! We also plan on using rather large satin chrome hardware on them so that will add to the "plain-ness" of the panel door.

So what are some opinions...is it worth another 2k for the 5 piece or do people think the color will really help hide the profile anyway? Looking at a lot of dark kitchens on Houzz, we seem to think the panels will probably look fine.

THe house style is sort of between craftsman and modern...plan is to use a white granite (possibly kashmire?) or quartz top with clear/light grey subway glass tile backsplash.

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This is an inspiration photo that we love so you can get a better idea.

[contemporary kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by cincinnati architect Drawing Dept

• babs711
    12 years ago

All during my thought process I thought I would do a solid slab drawer front. But then it dawned on me that we're doing all drawers on the bottom except for one lower cabinet. In my opinion and for our kitchen, the slab drawer is plainer than I wanted. I went for the shaker door. In the long run, for something that affected the overall look of our kitchen, it was worth the cost.

• coco4444
    12 years ago

I had this issue as well: my cabinet style came with slab fronts, but I opted to purchase extra "doors" and turn them on their sides to create 5-piece drawers. I prefer 5-piece much more in a white finish. Here's the comparison (mine is Kitchen Craft Berkeley):

• pps7
    12 years ago

Are the drawers inset? With inset cabinet, the drawer is already framed so to speak, so slab looks pretty good. For full overlay, I would definately do 5 piece.

All of our cabinets are inset and for some reason, I did 5 piece in the kitchen and slab in my dining room built in. Both look fine. Kitchen is white and dining room is stained. It's really a matter of personal preference.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I look at coco's pix and really prefer the first shot with all slab drawers. Now her drawers have an edge profile to them, so they are not true slab fronts, but that makes them interesting.
    I think the shaker look is getting done so much and for a while now, that I think in a few years it will be what people complain about. If you only use the 5 piece on the uppers and sink cab or other lower with doors, it would give you the best of both worlds.
    You could do as cloudswift did and get any shallow drawers as slabs and any deep drawers as 5 piece to split the difference. Have you figured where on the drawer you want the hardware? The slabs are easier in that regard.
    As you mentioned, with the darker stained wood, it won't be as noticeable anyway to have the 5 piece ones. Save your money. Too much will fly out of your hands as you progress.

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

we like the craftsman style not because its popular currently, but because we like simple clean lines. We do not like the ornate door panels with a lot of routered reveals, etc. Because of this, we are also wondering if the 5 panel drawers would give the fronts too much going on. The plan for the hardware is 2 on the fronts of the drawers. The cabinets are 30", 33" and 36" base units. They would get 2 handles. Handles are satin chrome, about 4-6" wide each most likely. Smaller drawer units, such as 18-24" base will only get 1 handle. We will also use handles on doors, not knobs.
    thanks for the input so far! Does anyone else have pictures of their slab kitchens?

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

I go with cloud_swift's idea.
    Although my eye is anal, so I'd have the line of 5-panel going straight across.

There are drawers that are just too short to warrant the stiles and rails. Those, I'd go with slab. The larger drawers, where you could actually see the recessed panel, would be where I'd go 5-panel. It's the same with tall, skinny cabinets. 9" cabinets wouldn't show the detail! The rails and stiles would be right next to each other!

The detail does show, even with darker cabinets. A pure slab is very much more modern -- unless they're inset. But you haven't mentioned which.

As much as you talk about your handles and pulls, they're still going on a door or drawer. The detail behind them -- or lack thereof -- will change how the jewelery is showcased.

I'd suggest just being consistent. Maybe all the top, skinny drawers slab, with the larger, lower drawers being detailed.

You chose this because you liked it in the first place. Are you settling?

• joyce_6333
    12 years ago

We opted for slab top drawers, and paneled lower drawers. I think this is a common practice.

lzerarc, I posted this link because of your desire for craftsman kitchen. I think inset is almost a given for a true craftsman kitchen. Our last house was a classic Arts and Crafts Bungalow, and the original kitchen was just like this, but unfortunately not in good condition like this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Classic bungalow kitchen

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

Here's a photo of slab drawer fronts on shallower drawer boxes mixed with paneled larger drawer boxes. I hope it will help you decide on which look you prefer.

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

Suzanne1, Love It!

• cj47
    12 years ago

I chose slab front drawers. While I like the look of 5 panel drawers, I have a lot of them and it just seemed like there would be too much going on. My drawers are not all the same depth on the bank under the cooktop, either, so the rails would not have lined up straight across. The varied answers you've gotten to this question seem to indicate that it'll look great no matter which way you go--all 5 panel, slabs, or a mix. :-)

Cj

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

My cabs are craftsmanny (or at least they're in a craftsman kitchen) and all the drawers are inset slab, with rather intricate detailing on the 5-panel uppers and cupboard doors. I really love the smoothness of the slab inset drawers and feel like they're a nice backdrop to other focal points in the space, especially because they're in cherry and the wood has a lot going on anyways.

(an older pic before replacing range hood):

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for the pictures! It is helping........sort of...:)
    The doors and drawers will not be inset to answer the questions. I look at Suz kitchen and those look great. But then I look at Circ kitchen and the slabs on the big drawers do not bother me either! Its a simpler look, which is also what we are.

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

Notice that circuspeanut's cabs have furniture feet as opposed to mine which have a standard toe kick in addition to being inset where mine are full overlay. Love those cabinets, CP! Just different things to think about.

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just discussed the drawer options with them. They can use a different cabinet series on the upper cabinets and the 5 piece on the lower cabs. This reduces the difference to only $700.
    However they forgot to add the Fridge surround panels which adds 590! and crown which adds 350.

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

Oh, for Gawd's sake.

What about that frame overlay?