Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maui9603

show me what you have above your kitchen cabinets!

do you decorate above your kitchen cabinets? Through most of my kitchen, I have space on top of my kitchen cabinets. I thought about putting some pieces of pottery or something else on top in a couple of the areas but I could really use some inspiration! thanks in advance!

Comments (17)

• kristinekr
    13 years ago

From which one

• mpmg46
    13 years ago

I don't have a picture at the moment, but a southern living wrought iron black basket, and extra pair of large candlesticks and a cake server that doesn't fit in my cabinet!

• cfmuehling
    13 years ago

When I put something in the cabinets up high, I forget it's there. Like it being at the back of a base cabinet.

If it's something pretty or architectural, put it on top of your cabs.

Years ago I had a gudzillion baskets. I still love them. I took the prettiest ones that were roughly the same size and out them up there. I can't tell you how many comments I got on how cool this or that one was. In the corner I put a larger egg basket with eucalyptus in it.

I love eucalyptus until I realized although I had 7 cats & smelled pee, it wasn't the cats. It was the eucalyptus. Just an aside.

Anyway, use something you can actually see.
    And something you enjoy looking at.

Christine

• susieq07
    13 years ago

Not the easiest photo's to capture but here's mine:
    one side:

another side:

and looking from great rm. towards kit.:

• jessicaml
    13 years ago

I used to have rows of colorful bottles I'd collected over the years; putting them up made me feel at home when moving into my husband's former-bachelor pad. However, when I took them down to paint the ceiling, I was appalled at how grimy & sticky they'd gotten in less than a year! The bottles weren't as shiny, and the wedding present pottery dishes would definitely need heavily scrubbed before serving out of them. It's scared me off from putting things up there anymore (at least, useful things - I still want a CAFE or SLAINTE sign).

• dorry2
    13 years ago

Jessicarni, that is exactly why I do not display items above my cabinets. It is a challenge to clean those items and I would not want to ask my cleaning person to climb up on a ladder and clean them if I won't! I like the clean lines of "nothing!" :)

Having said that, I have seen some pretty creative ways to display items above cabinetry.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

When we did our remodel I made a decision to just not put things back up there. I feel so much free-er.

I used to have things like small special Longaberger baskets, country antiques, Rowe pottery, old bottles.

Here it is with nothing. We added the crown molding when we painted the cabinets. Just have lights up there is enough for me.

• Christie Santercangelo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the pictures everyone. I did have the concern of the items that are up there will likely get pretty nasty over time. Beekeeperswife, love, love your kitchen - looks like it belongs in a magazine.

• lost_in_VA
    13 years ago

This is what I have going on in my kitchen.
    {{!gwi}}

Not too sure if I like it or not. But it does fill the space and the only thing I use is the dutch oven and it's only the lid that gets a little grimy.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Here are some old pics (same stuff is up there now, the "new" stand for the large blue plate is much less visible):

{{!gwi}}

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

My kitchen is very light-filled, as I have large windows on 2 sides of it and a window wall in the connecting family room. I also have high wood ceilings with beams and carved corbels, so unlike Beekeeperswife (gorgeous kitchen BTW!), I wanted to add decorative things above my cabs to draw the eye up to the ceiling detail.
    This hood over my cooktop is the main focal point (other than the mountain views out my windows).
    {{gwi:1404908}}

Although I didn't have them when I took the above pic, I now have two of these large green pots on the cabs flanking the hood. I like that they're rather simple, as they don't compete with the hood, but do add pops of color up there.
    {{!gwi}}

In the far, formerly boring corner, I painted this antique window to resemble those at the famous "Inn at The End of The Santa Fe Trail", the La Fonda Hotel on the Plaza in Santa Fe.
    {{!gwi}}

And, on another wall, above my fridge and ovens, I have these pots, chunky candles and angel santos. There's built-in lights up there, too, to light all of my things at night.
    Lynn

{{!gwi}}

• ghostlyvision
    13 years ago

Oh Lynn, I just love your cooktop hood, my husband would salivate over it but probably run crying from the price (might not stop him from getting it but he'd moan for months. lol)

• lynninnewmexico
    13 years ago

Thanks Ghostlyvision. I won't hijack Angel's thread here, but give me a minute and I'll start a new thread with pics to show you how it was done. He may be able to do something similar himself.
    Lynn

• Christie Santercangelo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen Lynn, thanks for sharing. I love the detail on the ceiling and that cooktop hood is awesome. Looking forward to reading your other thread.

Cat mom, your kitchen is beautiful too! My kitchen is nowehere near down but I love seeing all of these inspiration photos.

lost - I love that distressed kitchen sign.

Since we have fairly high ceilings and very pale colored cabinets, I think we need something with some color and substance up there. Keep the pics coming! love this forum!

• msrose
    13 years ago

I'm just starting to work on my kitchen area so it's not finished, but this is what I have so far.

In the picture above, I'm trying to do something similar to this, so I still need to find a few more things to add.

I've been trying to figure out what to put next to the wood/iron piece and after seeing Lynn's candlesticks, I think that's what I need. If anyone knows where I can get some tall ivory shabby chic looking candlesticks, please let me know.

This is the lantern I have and I debated on whether to use just one or do a grouping like they have here.

{{!gwi}}

Here's two pictures I saved for inspiration.

Keriwest's kitchen
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Even though I have individual things right now, I like groupings and I'm still trying to figure out how to do that.

Laurie

• Christie Santercangelo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks msrose, looks like you're off to a great start. thanks for the inspiration pics. I think the grouping is the hardest part, to look well put together and intentional instead of an unorganized mess or clutter. That's my biggest fear. I really, really like the groupings of the birdcages. :)

• cplover
    13 years ago

beekeeper- How tall are your ceilings? I am curious because they look tall but at the same time I think they might be 8ft. My question is if they are 8ft ceilings were you at all tempted to run them flush to the ceiling? I ask b/c I have 8ft ceilings and am not sure what to do. Thanks.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz