Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gaylemh_gw

Great granite dealer near Avon/Spring Lake NJ

gaylemh
15 years ago

Can anyone give me the name of a great reliable granite dealer/fabricator near Avon/Spring Lake NJ with a great selection?

Has anyone used All Granit & Marble in South Plainfield?

Comments (19)

• blubird
    15 years ago

My daughter used Benchmark in Lakewood for her kitchen - they did a great job. I used them for new tops for my nighttables. They have a large selection and even have a good pile of 'scraps.'

Helene

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

i have to advise against all granite & marble. i trekked over there one beautiful morning and it was a complete waste of time. i was assigned a salesman who didn't know the first thing about what he was selling. when i told him i was looking for calacutta marble slabs for my kitchen he directed me to a slab of honey onyx. when i told him i wanted marble he insisted the onyx was marble. when i politely disagreed a second time he became a bit agitated with me. though not as agitated as i was with him. i'm dealing with a company in freehold called american granite. we have beautiful slabs on hold which they found for me although we haven't gotten down to the fabrication yet. their prices seem very reasonable and they are very attentive, once you've got their attention ...the guy i deal with over there, carlos, is very accommodating but you have to keep on him. it's worth it to me as he knows his business and is giving me great prices on my marble backsplash as well as porcelain and glass tile for the bathrooms. good luck!

• User
    15 years ago

I can also vouch for Benchmark. They were more than delightful to deal with Meredith and Kelly in the showroom, zero pressure, and did a great job. THey do the laser templating. The guy who came to do it, worked with me for like an hour trying to get the little curved overhangI wanted for my island. Really a wonderful experience.

• gaylemh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, Does Benchmark also sell the granite or are they just
    fabricators? Are they very expensive compared to others? Also did you get the 3.5% tax in Lakewood? Thanks Gail

• lpb313
    15 years ago

i used All Granite in South Plainfield and thought they did a beautiful job. They are very organized and professional and quick with completion in 3 days from templating. They have a good selection and the stones are indoors.

• blubird
    15 years ago

Re: benchmark- they both sell and fabricate the granite - just like sheilaaus122 said, they use laser templating. Kelly is a hoot! Talk about multitasking! We had gone to some other local seller/fabricators. As you might already know, some of these are in quite rural areas, but they were no cheaper than Benchmark who seem to run a classier operation. As far as the 3.5% tax, IIRC there is no tax if they install. When I had my tabletops made, I picked them up as there was no install - I paid tax on those.

Helene

• jax1723
    15 years ago

I'm in that area and I went with Prestige Wood and Stone out of Edison/North Arlington... I would NOT recommend them. Bad install job and they fought with me tooth and nail about coming back and fixing it. They were a little bit cheaper... you get what you pay for I suppose.

My cabinet guy recommended http://www.americangranitedesignsinc.com/ out of Freehold. Obviously, I didn't use them (so I'm going just on his on word) but I wish I had. When I went to the NJ Bureau of Better Business' site they had a solid rating (Prestige had a terrible one... wish I had checked first!). Whomever you choose, I recommend checking that site out to see if there's a history of complaints.

For a great selection go to http://www.msistone.com/ in edison. I'm pretty sure any fabricator can buy from them (Prestige is located next store and I was led to believe it was part of their operation but it's not -- slick move on their part). It's a large warehouse setting and very interesting to walk through and see the various slabs.

Good luck and keep up the research!

Cheers

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a GW thread on NJ yards if you're into that

• gaylemh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I went to Benchmark today. They were very nice, and I saw a few that were OK, but I didn't see anything I was crazy about. They told me to take a ride to OHM International in Monroe Township, to pick out a stone and they would fabricate it for me.

Has anyone been to OHM, is it worth the drive?

I was also thinking of trying American Granite in Freehold,
    how is their selection? Thanks

• gail428
    15 years ago

I went to OHM when we did our basement bar - they were very good. For the kitchen I went with Bridgewater Marble and Tile - probably about 45 min from you, but I thought they were extremely knowledgeable and I am thrilled with my countertops.

• hogar
    15 years ago

I also dealing with American granite in Freehold. So far so good. Carlos and Rebecca are very nice. They have a nice selection in their yard but if you do not see anything that catches your eye, they will send you to OHM (granite distributor) in Monroe to pick your slab and they will fabricate it for you. In term of prices, not a difference between them and Benchmark. In fact, I went to Benchmarck myself but I didn't see anything that chatched my eye and they would not remove my old countertop and wanted 175 dollars for a double sink. American granite will remove my old countertop AND they are giving me a free double sink and a cutting board made of my granite I have an appoitment on Monday to go over my template. Granite will be installed next Thursday. I'll post pictures them...

• seaglass7
    15 years ago

Went to OHM when we were doing our kitchen. Big selection, nice people. We were told that we needed an appointment, which we did make both times we went there. The only negative comment I have is that their stock is inside in a huge warehouse with poor fluorescent lighting. They were VERY accommodating---even moving slabs around for us to see some that were in an area we weren't allowed to go to. We didn't find the perfect stone there, and we did have some reservations about not being able to see them in natural light.

We ended up getting our slabs from European. They are located very close to OHM and are also a stone yard, not a fabricator. There are at least 3 stone yards within a few mile radius in the Monroe area.

From what I understand it's best to find a fabricator you're comfortable with and ask that fabricator which yards they will do business with. Then visit as many as possible to find the perfect stone for you!

• gaylemh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your replys. I'm heading out to American Granite today. After all the time and confusion of picking out the cabinets, I was hoping just to walk into a granite showroom and fall in love with a granite. Looks like its not happening.

• hogar
    15 years ago

I agree with seaglass7 about all she said of OHM. I wanted to add that OHM people are so nice as to send you a picture of the slab you are thinking about via e-mail. Carlos from American granite also deals with European located in Jamesburg. I went there too but didn't find what I was looking for "Ivory Fantasy or Colonial cream". Then, Carlos called me with the news that he got a new lot and there it was, the perfect for my kitchen "Ivory Fantasy" granite slab. I'm so excited, the installation is next Thursday...
    gaylemh, don't be discouraged, some people pick their slab on the first trip to a granite place, others no. It took me many trips but and the end I'm satisfied to say that I have seen them all and that I made the right choice.
    Good luck...

• seaglass7
    15 years ago

hogar---I also bought my ivory fantasy from European! It was for the bath. Maybe your kitchen and my bath are some sort of distant cousins???

Good luck with the installation. I'm sure it will look fabulous.

Oh, forgot to mention to the other readers---no appt necessary at European. They are great---and you get to ride in little golf carts to the granite yard. (ok---too much caffeine today....)

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

did you get to american granite yet? i've been to OHM more times than i can count. i was also looking for a few more things and they brought them in for me from a yard in jackson, i think.
    they also gave me a 24x 30 remnant of marble to take home and "live" with, just to see if i liked it. carlos also sold me my 36" single bowl rohl farmhouse sink for a song. he got it for another client and after she had it a week she put a tiny scratch in it. she blamed the installers and even though carlos was there and knew the job was perfect he took it out and replaced it. now it's mine ...for $700.

• toddimt
    15 years ago

I have used All granite but in Fairlawn on the S. Plainfield location. Their selection is huge and have pretty much any color you can think of. In Fairlawn the slabs are outside in a huge yard.

They were very quick and professional. My last granite job was my small bathroom vanity top though.

• gaylemh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I took a ride to American Granite today. What a difference in the showroom compared to Benchmark.
    Carlos and Rebecca were both helping me, and very nice.

I saw one that I liked with the colors of my cabinets and floor. I'm doing a small condo kitchen that's across the street from the beach, that I'm moving to as my primary residence.

The granite I saw was Juparana Columbo, it reminded me of the sand when it get the dark grey streaks in it.

I like the slab, they only had one (which is all I need)
    that was in the light muted colors. All the others with the same name were from a different lot and were much darker and a redish peach.

I'm just not sure I like the pattern of the slab. I took pictures, and thought I had a picture of the whole slab, but I only got parts of it.

I wonder if Carlos would be able to take a picture of the whole slab and email it to me.

Asked about a sink, and was told it would be about $200.00 additional. Benchmark was including a 16 gauge SS D-sink.

Has anyone heard of AW Eurostile in Ocean or a place in Shrewsbury (not sure of the name)?

I'm trying to avoid going to OHM, I think it might be too overwhelming, and I'll never be able to make a decision.
    I'd rather stay with smaller places.

I'll try to attach pictures, let me know what you think.

Thanks for your help.

Here is a link that might be useful: granite juparana columbo

• blubird
    15 years ago

I think the place in Shrewsbury is on Shrewsbury Ave south of Newman Springs Road (Rte 520)- IIRC it's called Precision. I haven't been in the place itself, but the yard appears small from the road.

Helene

• gaylemh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi,

Still looking for granite. Someone in work told me about a place in or near Elizabeth by the Goethals Bridge, that is a really big place where they drive you around in golf carts, but he didn't remember the name. This is real close to my house where I'm now living, so it would be very convenient for me to check out when I'm not at the shore. Anyone know the name or where it is? Thanks Gail