Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackeyedpeas

Adventures in soapstone. Lots of pics

blackeyedpeas
16 years ago

This past weekend we were able to drive down to Punta Gorda and meet FloridaJoshua and FloridaMimi of Creative Soapstone. What a treat! These two are a joy and their place is amazing. Joshua spent quite a bit of time with DH giving him a soapstone 101 lesson (since we are DIY) and Mimi and I got to walk around and check out all their slabs, samples, sinks and what not. I was drooling the whole time and if it wasn't for the fact that we had already picked out our stone I might still be there trying to pick out my favorite.

Josh and Mimi got us loaded up and the long drive home began.

{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}
DH couldn't wait to get his hands on the stone so Monday evening after work we headed over to the house to start cutting.

{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}
I helped DH carry these HEAVY pieces in the house(I was pretty proud of myself) and we set them on the counter. This is only the first fitting(and only one side of the kitchen), they will have to come off and have some more trimmed of the front but here they are.

{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}
This is a close-up of the stone, Black Venata without oil. I'm not allowed to do that until all the work is finished although I did get to see parts of it oiled when we were in Fl and it is beautiful!

{{!gwi}}
I can hardly believe that I got soapstone, for so long I thought it was just a pipe dream.LOL I do have to admit that I kept rubbing my hands on the slabs wondering what the big deal was all about, that is until DH sanded a section of the counter and then, at that moment I knew. I WILL NOT be able to keep my hands off this stuff!

I hope we will finish this weekend, DH is out of town for a meeting :-( I will post more pictures then.

Comments (13)

• bettycbowen
    16 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen. Wonderful, congrats, we're planning a soapstone DIY in the next month or so, so I really appreciate any information I can find. I think it is worth constantly re-arranging the remodel budget for.
    Can't wait to see your finished pictures!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    16 years ago

Congrats! Beautiful job and beautiful stone. I am considering it for my kitchen as well. I will have to work out the numbers to see if it will make sense. I love the veining in the stone. Will you see it after it is oiled? Some of the before and after pictures I have seen of the stone, you can't see any veining after it is oiled.

• vjrnts
    16 years ago

She'd better see it after it's oiled; it's her soapstone!

I have Santa Rita Venata in my kitchen, and it's my experience that the oiling brings the veining out much MUCH more prominently. It'll bring out veins that you didn't know were there.

Lovely lovely stone. Have fun with it, blackeyedpeas!

• ci_lantro
    16 years ago

Just beautiful!!

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

What pretty stone, and you got to meet Florida Joshua and Mimi in person! Life can be grand sometimes!

• rgillman
    16 years ago

Wow! This is gorgeous! You are so lucky to be able to DIY.
    My soapstone adventure is en route: Garden State Soapstone just called and he'll be here in about 40 minutes with my counters. I'll keep you posted.

• divamum
    16 years ago

Gorgeous.

And you SO don't need "girly" handles on that kitchen (that was you, right?) - the sleek, quiet elegance of the cabinets and soapstone barely needs any "jewelry" at all, much less anything fussy to look beautiful. It is GORGEOUS! (And I'm not a "modern style" person, so if I like it you know you've got it right!)

Congratulations!

• bayareafrancy
    16 years ago

Thank you for the great pictures! That kitchen will look wonderful. I love the sink!

Francy

• blackeyedpeas
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the comments everybody, I still can't believe it's actually happening.
    Divamum, you are totally right, that was me asking about the "girly" pulls and I am going to take your advice and go with a plain, simple arc. Nobody needs to notice the hardware, especially since it's the least expensive thing in there. LOL

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Almost makes me want to start on another kitchen...almost! Wait, I DO have another kitchen- downstairs...soapstone...ummm! Have to say can hardly wait to see it all done!

• divamum
    16 years ago

excellent, BEP - I was thinking of something like that (must be the DW handle which suggests it). Also, must say... I LOVE your sink.

Congrats again - it's beautiful!

• paddytc
    16 years ago

Congrats!! Looks beautiful.

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

Congratulations! That's one beautiful vein. And double congratulations to your DIY-master husband :) And congratulations to Florida Joshua for being such a mensch and helping g'webbers again :)

I wish we had enlightened soapstone dealers around our neck of the woods...