Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hedygs

Beware of Homeclick & their Buyer's Edge program

hedygs
11 years ago

We purchased several things through Homeclick during our kitchen remodel and also used them for a few Toto toilet purchases around the same time.

I was looking for a purchase on our credit card today when I noticed a charge that I didn't recognize. My husband tells me the charge has shown up for a while and he assumed it was something I was receiving on an auto-order. My DH balances the credit card purchases. There was an (800) number so I called to see who or what it was.

Seems that it is a buyers discount service that we "signed" up for through Homeclick. Now I did all the internet purchases from Homeclick so I don't recall signing up for this. I never utilized it to be certain (as my records showed).

I am sick. I really did like Homeclick and have purchased other things for gifts for family/friends but I will be certain to be look for another company when making my home good purchases.

Just a tale of caution.

Comments (18)

• pirula
    11 years ago

That's not good. I also used them a good deal several years ago and planned to use them again for the last couple of things we need in the basement.

Please tell me they fixed this to your satisfaction when you called?

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

I would be flipping out!

I would alert the cc company that this was being applied without your consent (and explain the situation that your husband thought it was ok due to a renovation, etc.), and also demand that HC remove it and give you full refund.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

First I'd pull up your emails from them, especially the first 2-3 and see if it's on there. There might have been a place you didn't check but should have or checked but shouldn't have. Then once you see what is/isn't explained in the emails, call customer service and see if they will fix it. This could just be a misunderstanding, or as it seems you suspect, something intententionally deceptive.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Curious--what was the charge?

Thanks for the heads up.

• corgimum
    11 years ago

If Homeclick won't help you, call your credit card company. They will usually take care of it.

• eleena
    11 years ago

FWIW, I remember similar discussions about HC back from when I was remodeling my bathrooms in 2007. Their prices were good but GW-ers were reporting a problem after a problem. I would never use them, not for any kind of discount.

• hedygs
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So far nothing to report.

The charge was $14.95. I'm just sick because I am so careful to not click on offers or freebies. I am always telling my elderly mother to not accept offers on the Internet....

• SpencerHomeclick
    11 years ago

Good Afternoon "hedygs".

My name is Spencer Freedman and I am a Supervisor here in the Customer Service Department at Homeclick.com.

I would first like to point out that we, Homeclick, have no affiliation whatsoever with any company named "Buyer's Edge." We have never heard of them before and have never seen anything like this pop up.

If you would please give me a call at 732-379-3488 or email me directly at spencer@homeclick.com, I would be happy to discuss with you and try to help in any way I can.

Please call me or email me and we can figure this thing out together.

Best Regards,

Spencer Freedman
    Customer Service Supervisor
    Homeclick.com
    732-379-3488
    spencer@homeclick.com

This post was edited by SpencerHomeclick on Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 18:21

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

that's nice! I hope they take care of everything. If they are not associated with buyers edge, then I hope your cc co. will take care of this for you.

They might suggest you cancel the card and get a new one...

waiting to hear back from you.

• hedygs
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you I will contact you. I was advised by the supervisor at the number I called on the charge that the original charge was as a result of a purchase through Homeclick.

Credit card company can only assist for last 60 days.

• robo (z6a)
    11 years ago

Wow, looks like a scam company for sure! I just googled them and there are a lot of unhappy people out there wi/buyer's edge.

http://buyers-edge.pissedconsumer.com/

• hedygs
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all. I will be placing a call to Homeclick when I have a break at work.

After some internet searches Buyers Edge is indeed a huge scam. While Homeclick says they are not affiliated there was a class action suit against Buyers Edge and what was determined was that companies sold buyers information after an internet purchase.

It seems that was probably what happened to us. Buyers Edge did say we were signed up through Homeclick and the timing is similar to internet purchases we made during that time.

I feel the fool and the fact that this has been going on for years makes me feel even more foolish. I'll let you know if I resolve anything but it doesn't seem that that there will be an outcome that will be favorable to us.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"Credit card company can only assist for last 60 days. "

No, they are only required by law to assist with billing disputes you raise within 60 days of the item appearing on your bill.

Immediately call ad directly contest every charge this company has made, and block any future charges with your CC company.

Contested charges cost the company that made them money (and often more than just the disputed amount).

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    11 years ago

So many times this has happened to us, and it's just a side bar of online buying. Even when downloading a new version of Adobe, if you are not careful, you will also be downloading McCaffe!

Identity theft is everywhere and legit companies are not immune. I'm very happy to see that the customer service manager posted here and is willing to resolve the issue.

Good luck with it! I've never shopped at Homeclick, but I'm heading there now because of the customer service response.

Suzi

• hedygs
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I want to update readers of this thread. I received a call from Spencer at Homeclick today. He did confirm the OLD owners of Homeclick were involved with the Buyers Edge program. The NEW owners (post 2009) are not involved with this scam company so that is why he did not have any information about the practice.

Spencer is going will be speaking to the current owners of Homeclick to see if can assist me in any way. He will contact me asap to discuss this further after he speaks with them.

I am also pursuing my credit card company with regard to their claim that they will not assist me any more then the 60 day limit as I mentioned earlier.

So far, while I am angry about the fraud, I am optimistic about some satisfactory resolution. I'll let you know anything further when I hear more.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

I would contact your state attorney generals office. They should have a consumers affairs office. Also, file a report with BBB.

• Iowacommute
    11 years ago

Good luck! It seems like once a year we're hit with a very small amount on our cc from a phishing expedition.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"I am also pursuing my credit card company with regard to their claim that they will not assist me any more then the 60 day limit as I mentioned earlier. "

They do not want to eat the charge.

They can reverse it within the 60 day widow and the merchant has to eat the charge.

After 60 days the CC company has to eat the loss, thus they generally will not do anything.

The only threat you can really use against the CC company is to close the account.

They will then decide how valuable a customer you have been to them (as in how much money they made from your purchases and any interest you paid).