Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holspen_gw

Fireworks worry !!

holspen
16 years ago

Hi folks,

I have a year old Standard poodle that I'm worried about tomorrow night. We live in Orlando and he's used to our many thunder storms and does fine. There were fireworks on New Year's eve and he did fine but I know they'll be turned up a couple notches tomorrow night.

What do you recommend ?? We usually do happy talk and lots of treats. Our Golden is 7 and is no problem and I just want to be on my toes with the pup.

Thanks,

Holly

Comments (11)

• marthapartha
    16 years ago

They survive...they get scared, cower and hide, but never seem to remember that nothing happened...a year later, on the next fourth.

• Meghane
    16 years ago

If he's been fine before, I'd not worry. It's way too late to start any real behavior modification programs anyway.

That said, noise phobias CAN be fatal. I know of animals that have had heart attacks or strokes due to fear of thunderstorms or other noises. Others have gotten out from their fences and been hit by cars. I know of one that jumped through a high-rise window. I would NOT give any animal acepromazine for noise or any other phobia. Ace is not an anti-anxiety drug, it merely sedates the animal and makes it unable to act out, but the physiologic effects of stress- high heart rate, high blood pressure, etc- still exist. Some of the animals I know that have died during panic attacks did so while on acepromazine. A pet with a current noise phobia is likely to get progressively worse, not better.

If you have a pet with a noise phobia, the best course of action is to see a veterinary behaviorist or a veterinarian who is very good with behavior. A good vet will develop a desensitization plan usually in combination with anti-anxiety drugs, but these drugs can take weeks to have an effect.

There are some fast acting anti-anxiety drugs that can be Rx by your vet if s/he feels it is safe and beneficial. But they are controlled drugs and will not be dispensed without good reason.

If your dog starts showing signs of anxiety, you can try plenty of distraction such as an indoor game of fetch or whatever other activity he enjoys. I've distracted mine with rawhides, not for noise phobias but to keep them occupied during parties. Distraction is most effective when you do it before the fireworks start. Also try to make sure your dog has had a lot of exercise that day if possible. It's hard to be anxious when you're sleeping. If your dog is acting anxious, do not cuddle him or act like the fireworks are any big deal- try to act normal, or you will reinforce his fear.

Good luck and have a happy and safe Independence Day.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

I just act like nothing is going on. I pretend everything is great and we play ball or I dole out stuffed kongs.

Dogs can read your energy and will be the most disturbed by your frustration with all the idiots that have to set off fireworks all day and night. You subconsciously get mad and dogs get anxious. Be happy and pretend it's party time, don't encourage running, hiding and being anxious with squeeky talk.

My dogs got very anxious when I try to swat flies. One of them has been running and hiding so now I turned it into a precursor to something awesome. Like a bunch of treats being scattered across the floor. Or a game of chase.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    16 years ago

I hope you will not leave your dog alone. I would consider some medication for a pet alone - and remember the medication needs to be started way ahead of time. We learned that the hard way. We needed to give a smaller amount way ahead, and then a second time. Once the fireworks start and the dog is scared, it is rather difficult to medicate,and have it work.

They taught us in Obedience School to act like there is no problem. If we caress and love the dog, telling him that everything is ok, then we are reinforcing his fears. We will watch TV and sleep in the room where the dogs sleep since the fireworks will go on all night long.

We live in a community where fireworks are not allowed to be set off, but they are allowed to be sold. Duuuuh! They have been going on night and day for a couple of days already, and we try to have one person around most of the day.

Sammy

• westtxteach
    16 years ago

Angel (13 yr old cocker) is deaf so I'm not worried about her. Elvis (11 yr old cocker)used to have thunderstorm phobias but hasn't had a problem with them in months. I think that I'll just leave the radio on in the room where they like to stay. The TV might be a better idea.

• jannie
    16 years ago

I just keep my dog indoors as much as possible on Independence Day. The neighbors three little boys heard fireworks and got scared. They thought someone was shooting a gun! I'll be glad when it's all over.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

So how did everyone do?

We went out to a nearby hilltop to view the fireworks from inside the truck without having all that noise.

• holspen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for thr replies.

We did just fine. In fact we went to bed early ( we are old folk) aroud 9 pm when things we just getting going. Didn' phase my boys at all. I thought the daily thunderstorms had him conditioned and yes they had.

Hope you all had a great 4th.
    holly

• jannie
    16 years ago

My dog insisted on getting in bed with me, then she laid there panting and shivering. I tried to comfort her. She finally fell asleep. This morning, I found her snoozing in my daughter's room. She is fine this morning. I think there may be more firewoRks noise this weekend.

• foosacub
    16 years ago

Capone heard one tiny *pop* and promptly crawled into a corner and started up with the heavy breathing. We drug him out of the corner, and he followed up the stairs, where he was welcomed into our friends' smallest closet. No coddling whatsoever - but we do give him a 'hidey hole.' Seems to be the only thing that helps. The smaller the closet, the better.

(We were at a friend's house, helping them move.)

• sunshinetm
    16 years ago

Someone told me they play rock & roll music in a room where they put their dogs during the fireworks & it works for them. My dogs all made it threw the fireworks excellent. I took my small dog to the fireworks with me since I was out of town if she didn't like them we would just leave. She acted like nothing was even going on. I was so happy about that because I used to have a dog that was scared of everything & only got worse with age. Terri