Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
61tinkerbell

my 'vintage + cottage' blinds are up! (pictures)

tinker_2006
12 years ago

Thank you all for all the feedback, it really help me in my decision making!

The wood blinds arrived this afternoon, and I wasted no time installing them! I love them... they look pretty sweet, and my view is not really hindered at all. I didn't install the wood valance, as I do plan to put a curtain valance up - whenever I find the perfect one!

From Drop Box
From Drop Box

still need a cushion for the window seat!!

From Drop Box
From Drop Box
From Drop Box

Comments (46)

• rafor
    12 years ago

They look perfect!!! Great choice.

• marthavila
    12 years ago

Sweet!

• treasuretheday
    12 years ago

They look beautiful in your room!

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I like the binding down the sides of the blinds. I haven't seen that detail in years but it really suits your space. Your corner cabinet is very cute, can I ask what do you store in it?

• geogirl1
    12 years ago

Gorgeous!

• loribee
    12 years ago

It looks FABULOUS!

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

gorgeous, great choice.

• joyce_6333
    12 years ago

Oh, Tinker, love your entire kitchen. I think my favorite thing is your lack of a backsplash. It would have taken away from the wonderful simplicity of your kitchen. Sometimes I feel that backsplashes detract from the overall beauty of a kitchen...mine included!! Your kitchen goes in my "favorite" kitchens file.

I do have a question. Where will you hang your valance? I have the same mouldings,and am curious how you will deal with this. Thanks!

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

Perfect!

I really love your kitchen. It reminds me of the kitchen in our beach cottage but yours is MUCH nicer!

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Tinker -- they look perfect!

• daisychain01
    12 years ago

Never get tired of looking at pics of your home. Great addition to the kitchen.

• lisa_mocha
    12 years ago

They look wonderful!

I just love your kitchen...and that view!
    Lucky you:)
    Sigh...would love to be on the water somewhere warm & sunny! A girl can dream right,lol?? (As I sit here in the 'burbs West of Toronto:)

• cooperbailey
    12 years ago

just cant get enough pictures of your cottage! be still my heart!

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

Those blinds look like they were meant to be in your kitchen. Nicely done!

• clueless
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous and the blinds look wonderful.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you sooooo much! All your positive comments helps to energize me to finish!!

blfenton, I keep pretty much small items - cards, pens, note paper. One little drawer has a plug behind it, so we have our phone charger inside, the upper cabinet I have medication in.

joyce, I'll have to test hanging the valance, I do love the moldings. I stripped all the paint from the woodwork, and I can tell that years and years ago - the hung on the trim.. so it still showed. I have planned to install a backspash, but I too have been thinking about NOT. I'm not sure it would add anything,

• Arapaho-Rd
    12 years ago

tinker, the blinds are perfect! Where did you order from? Great job.

• Pipdog
    12 years ago

i love that window seat, tinker! your kitchen looks great!

• IRuehl
    12 years ago

So pretty! I love it!

• nutmegxo
    12 years ago

Charming!!! Love it!!! :)

• les917
    12 years ago

What a wonderful, charming space! The blinds are perfect.

When I first looked, I felt a tug of nostalgia at my heart - the blinds reminded me of the ones in the kitchen of the house I lived in until I was 11.

• hoosiergirl
    12 years ago

I don't think anything else could have looked better -- they are perfection! Enjoy your charming kitchen!!

• declansmom
    12 years ago

Oh tinker, I just LOVE your kitchen. The blinds look fabulous....you do everything so perfectly!!!!

• amykath
    12 years ago

You def made the right choice! They look like they have always been there. Perfect. Now when do I get to come over and have dinner and drool all over your kitchen?

• bettymnz4
    12 years ago

Do you need a valance??? It looks perfect to me - dark counters, dark floor, white cabinetry, no backsplash, farm sink, . . . .

Can I have your kitchen??? lol

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

I don't have any fabric valences over our wood blinds. DH doesn't like curtains, so the wood toppers work fine by themselves.

However, if you want to do valances, maybe match or coordinate to the window seat.

They really look great!

• Rudebekia
    12 years ago

tinker, what is your wall paint color? I really like it (and the blinds are fabulous!)

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

Love the new blinds and your kitchen! Would you share any info about your countertops? They look to be leathered granite, but I can't be sure.

TIA.

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Hi work in progress 08 --
    Tinker's gorgeous counters are soapstone.
    You can read about them and see more pictures at this link.
    I love Tinker's kitchen!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tinker's soapstone

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks everyone again, yes work in progress, the countertops are soapstone!

Marita, the color is actually a Valspar color (paint is SW) and it is called Mellow Sage.

I purchased the Blinds from Blindsaver.com. There were a few good companies on the internet, but this company had a color that matched my trim the best, and in their own brand, so I saved from buying a name brand.

So.... maybe I don't need a valance? I'll live with just the blinds for now!

• enduring
    12 years ago

I think a fabric valance would look good in your kitchen. You could get some short samples and hang them to see if that is the way you want to go. I find in my very small kitchen with only one window, the fabric just adds another layer of interest and gives me a more finished look that I like. I have finally settled on a fabric for my valance. It took a long time. IMO my window looks better with a short stretch of fabric, if softens the hard surfaces. Your husband says he doesn't like curtains; he may have a fixed idea of what a curtain is. Maybe something from decades ago decorating, from his growing up years. Take him on a tour of Houzz.com showing him all the nice valances you can find.

Blind look great in your very nice kitchen!

• User
    12 years ago

Love the blinds and a fabric valance would be gilding the lily, IYKWIM.

I was going to suggest roller shades with a fabric fused to them for a vintage look, but the blinds look great!

• teeda
    12 years ago

They are perfect. Your kitchen is beautiful, peaceful, cozy and welcoming all at once!

• ttodd
    12 years ago

I totally love your kitchen!

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

Beautiful!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    12 years ago

Very nice. Funny, I normally like fabric on a window, but the blinds look so perfect as is and I'd hate to cover up the beautiful moldings. I would like a simple subway tile backsplash though, if only to protect the wall...we can really make a mess at our house...

You have an excellent eye and a well defined sense of taste. Congrats!

• PDQ2
    12 years ago

Great choice. Love everything you've done to your beautiful cottage!

• lala girl
    12 years ago

tinker I just love those! I would not do valances either, they just look wonderful as is - I say let that chunky glorious trim work shine!

BTW, Your kitchen is one of my all time favorites.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I like the blinds...but very excited to see the valances! They will be beautiful, with the vintage/cottage look of your home...and bring in some needed pattern and color. Right now, you have a beautiful background, but the valances, cushions, table cloth, etc. will really finish the space :)

• sameboat
    12 years ago

Now THAT would inspire me to cook!

• Fun2BHere
    12 years ago

Another vote for no valances.

• eandhl
    12 years ago

tinker, your kitchen is so beautiful I think you could have put purple & orange polka dot curtains and it would still look great. Seriously your blinds are perfect. I know when you were considering buying your house I thought it was one of the nicest Fl homes I had ever seen and you have certainly done it perfectly!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all so much!! The whole house has been an exhausting labor of love and we are now really just seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! The view is beautiful.. bayfront and I was afraid that the blinds would cover it up, but I'm totally happy with them. I tried shades, and love shades, but I'm private and felt at night and early mornings - I was on TV. The blinds work so perfect for light control and privacy - I decided to purchase more for our bedrooms, and I love them! I still may play around with a vintage valance, but it's not on the top of my priority list - I still have more rooms to finish painting, doors and hardware to install!

If any of you recall, DH was never in love with this house, and I know our Realtor thought we were crazy (and in some ways $$$$ I think maybe we were), but DH really is seeing that the house is lovely, so that makes me happy!

• enailes
    12 years ago

So light and airy, the blinds are perfect!

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

Tinker, you pretty much have my dream kitchen. It is exquisitely charming!

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

Lovely right down to the details! I adore your light fixtures and copper teapot.