Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debd18

If you're looking for a new pet....

debd18
15 years ago

This group rescues dogs who are about to be gassed in NC shelters. If you live between NC and NH, you can adopt and they will bring the dog to you on their transport. I thought if anyone here is looking for a new pet or interested in fostering, they could take a look at their site.

Here is a link that might be useful: helpsaveone

Comments (7)

• nycefarm_gw
    15 years ago

Thanks, I actually saw one I really liked! Hope they respond to my email...

• User
    15 years ago

Suggestion, reword the "transport to your door" part.

My door is in Chicago, it would cost more than the adoption fee to transport a dog from NC to my door, but your wording promises door delivery.

Another thing I notice, You dont have screening of potential adopters to ensure the dog wont need to be rescued again?

I have $250, you have cute dogs and promise transport to my door. Every dog is cute to me and I want to give them all a home. BUT the fact of my life is I shouldn't ad

You are doing good but you need to revise your terms today.

Another thing, do they really gas dogs in your North Carolina county? You should fight to stop that.

Of course you also contradict yourself. For the Senior Basset/Beagle Mix Boy you named Artemis. Your website says "This poor old boy was set to be adopted, and his adopter never showed up! He will be put down if we can not find someone to save him! Please consider adopting or donating to get him sponsored and saved!"

So you put down dogs too?

• debbiep_gw
    15 years ago

I believe the original poster is just telling us about the site not that she has anything to do with it.Thats the way I read it anyway..

• annzgw
    15 years ago

Like grammy I saw flaws in the website also. One that bothered me was the Jack Russel with a date on the photo that was taken back in March. They need to update the site or update the age of the dog.
    Also needed is more info on the transportation.......is it volunteers, truck, plane??? Where does the animal stay while this is being arranged? One assumes it's the buyer/adopter that has to arrange and pay all transport.
    One other thing I noticed is their spay and neuter policy. They're willing to let the animals go to the new home before this is done. In my experience, once an animal leaves the shelter before neuter/spay, it rarely gets done.

I also couldn't find any of their dogs listed in Petfinder. Wonder why they don't use that source for placing the dogs they have in foster care?

From what I've read it appears the rescue group is located outside the area/county of the shelter they're trying to pull the dogs from. If the situation is that bad, it's time to get the locals involved to try and change the shelter hours and the 'gassing' of the animals.
    I hope they're legit.........but I can understand the county trying to clear certain paperwork before they release dogs to just anyone.

• debd18
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gammyt, debbiep is correct. I am not affiliated with helpsaveone. I recently became aware of the site and posted this in an attempt to help out.

The transport travels up the east coast. You are not on the transport's route. She does explain that on her site and I repeated it in my original post that they deliver between NC and NH.

I don't live in NC and neither does the person who runs helpsaveone. She works closely with volunteers and rescuers in NC in order to pull this off. Yes, they do gas in many counties. Many people are fighting to change that, but in the meantime, they are trying to save as many as possible so they don't suffer a horrifying death. You can look up the websites for the shelters she pulls from and they state themselves that dogs are gassed weekly. Owner turn-ins may be gassed immediately. Strays are held 72 hours and then gassed on the next Friday after that. It is all stated on the shelters' websites.

Because of the tight time frames, these dogs have little chance to be adopted. Helpsaveone is requiring that adopters pay for spaying and neutering which is then paid by the organization to the vet of your choice. Could a dog slip through the cracks and fall into the wrong hands? Probably, but who would pay $250 for fight bait or some other evil purpose? Without getting on that transport, most of these dogs are dead, period. They have no other chance. It seems worth it to me to see most of them end up in happy homes than to see all of them die an inhumane, cruel death in a gas chamber. Also, I'm sure that unfortunately not every dog rescued from any shelter or rescue winds up in a wonderful forever home either.

As far as the bassett is concerned, his situation is explained elsewhere on the site I believe. I did read somewhere what happened with him. Someone wanted to adopt him, so they paid his pull fee and kept him out of last week's gassing, since they thought they had a commitment for him. The woman was apparently local and didn't show up to pick him up. Helpsaveone doesn't have a shelter and all the local volunteers are bursting at the seams with dogs, as she explained on the site. Now the bassett will be gassed unless someone steps up to give him a place to go. Helpsaveone doesn't euthanize. They just arrange to get the dogs from the shelter to the adopters by working with the transport drivers and shelter volunteers.

I hope this answers your questions. There is more information on her home page and the rest of her site.

Nycefarm, good luck and I hope you can save a dog!

• debbiep_gw
    15 years ago

I e-mailed the basset hound rescue of Ga(Atlanta)with the info on the basset/beagle mix.I don't know if they can or will be able to help but I had to try.Myself I don't have the money to get him.

• debd18
    Original Author
    15 years ago

annz, you posted while I was typing my last response. The animals are all listed on petfinder under the shelter that have them, except ones that aren't there long enough to make it to petfinder. From what I understand, a stray picked up on Monday would be held until Thursday for reclaiming. He would be available for adoption until 3 o'clock the same day and then gassed on Fri. morning if not adopted.

I'm not sure how the transport is worked out. I know they work with local volunteers and I think they take the dogs home that are being picked up for transport. I think they travel in a van. The transport is included in the $250 fee.

Again, the gassing is being fought by people but they are used in poorer counties that don't have a lot of funds for the shelters. Also, from what I gathered on the internet, part of the problem is political because a prominent vet there is the creator of the gas chamber that is used by many of the shelters and he pushes their use. Google something like "North Carolina shelters gas dogs" and you'll find a lot of info.

Anyway, I hope people will take the time to read the entire website and consider helping out if they are inclined. As I said, I have no affiliation and just feel sad about the situation. I was hoping to help by spreading the word to all the animal lovers here.