Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imsoconfused

You've got answers...I've got questions!!! (Pics)

imsoconfused
15 years ago

Trying to get settled back in our house after being flooded out. Have bought some furniture, but still need some more.

Disclaimers first!!! Yes, the tile on the fireplace is pretty golden, but we like it, it ties in the backsplash from the kitchen. The stuff on the mantel and on the bookshelves is not permanent whatsoever, that's just where I was setting stuff as I unpacked the few boxes of stuff that we managed to salvage. Haven't found a dining room set yet, hence all the dishes and glasses. Dining room will be yet another post!

Our great room is a nice size, but still hard to place furniture in. We probably should have had the tv moved to the top of the fireplace, but we didn't, so it's staying on a piece of furniture. Plus the fireplace is woodburning so it probably couldn't go there anyway due to heat issues. We have two leather recliners and a sofa so far. The sofa is much more gold than it shows up in the photos. Of course the recliners are facing the tv, but they do swivel also. I was thinking of either getting two club chairs, for either side of the tv, or I could move the other recliner to the other side of the fireplace(but doesn't make for great tv viewing) and get a loveseat to put perpendicular? to the sofa. Which do you think would look better and function best? If you think club chairs, what color fabric should they be? Or should I look for a rug first? And how big should the rug be? Not sure I can afford the size you are going to tell me... =)

The "coffee table" is just a couple of endtables that are not staying. Will be looking for something else to go there.

My other question is about the wall behind the sofa where the painting is sitting on the floor. I had a liquor cabinet there before that was probably about 6 ft. tall. I would still like to store liquor there but I am thinking I would like some sort of console/buffet type piece that I can put a lamp on. We don't have outlets in the floor, so I would have to run an extension cord across the walkway there. Not real crazy about that idea. So what sort of piece of furniture am I searching for? Is it a console,a credenza, a buffet? I would like for it to have doors and drawers. Also because of my counter being next to it, how high should the cabinet be? Lower or higher than the counter? How wide should it be? How much "space" should I allow on either side of it? The painting doesn't have to go there, the colors may be all wrong. The barstools I just ordered from "O" and they are NOT the right color! ugh...trying to sell them now, and if they don't sell, they will become a project and be spray painted and seat fabric changed.

One more question if you're still with me...are lamps supposed to be higher than the bed? I'm thinking mine are too tall, and if so, would try using one of them on the liquor cabinet if you think that would work.

I would so appreciate ideas on all these areas. I have seen all of you help so many rooms here go from just ok, to great or fabulous! I hope mine can be one of the next ones!

Comments (9)

• ronbre
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I totally love your home, you are a little bowling alley stage set toward the t v with the sofa and chair arrangement though..i know..it is hard to have to turn your head to look at the t v..but someone will have to unless you all sit on the same piece of furniture.

for now i would put the black chair where the dog bed is now, dog doesn't need the best place in the house by all those windows !

sneak in a small table and lamp and you have the perfect cozy reading nook by the fire..but not the best view of the t v..from it..oh well..

t v isn't that important is it?

put the other chair in an L to the sofa facing the fireplace and if you have a chest or table to put between them in the space do so..a table with a lamp there would be nice..if there is any room, maybe slide the sofa back just a touch..love the art..it is pretty..
    love love love the ceiling and the builtins and the foyer and the bar..well i love it all..just not the arrangements.

bedroom furniture is scrumtious..picture with red in it by the door is just a bit too big for that wall..the other one is probably ok for the wall it is against..but i might find a more prominant place for it..the fireplace is long and narrow over it..so i'm not sure if either would go over it..unless you balanced it out with the candles to each side..or some larger pieces flanking the picture to draw out the length..

the bedroom lamps are ok but i would switch them..IF as it appears the one table is lower than the other? otherwise put one up on a pedestal, book laid on its side..or a block of wood or something so that they are both the same height..or maybe it is just an optical illusion?

IF you put the art on the wall by the bar? do you have a dresser or something, console? that is narrow that could be put under the art with a lamp or candle sticks on it?

tie the art to something under it.

get a few plants to soften up some of the bare blank areas and to bring in some real LIFE..and you should be all set..lovely lovely home !!

• juddgirl2
    15 years ago

I'm not extremely talented with furniture arrangement so I'm afraid I can't help much there but wanted to say that I really like your home. Very pretty wall color and built-ins!

• imsoconfused
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks ronbre, for all your thoughts, there are some good ones in there! I love my house, but there are some things that were not well thought out by us, but that was because we were living in a FEMA trailer and wanted out of it in a hurry, so we found this houseplan and built it pretty much as is from the plan. The back door and the breakfast nook and the fireplace could have used some tweaking in where they were placed, but we were in such a hurry we didn't catch that. Weren't even in the house 2 years, when we got hit by another hurricane, and flooded with 3 ft of water, so again, we were in a hurry to get it fixed and get back "home" rather than living somewhere temporarily.

I have always wanted a fireplace with a mantel to decorate, and so I think it needs to be a focal point, but obviously the big tv is also a focal point. My recliners are both actually a chestnut colored leather, one is just darker than the other, as we didn't decide we wanted two when we purchased the first one, therefore they are obviously from different dye lots. =( Again, my mistake, that's what I get for being in a hurry! But I definitely want to add more seating in this room, not just move around the chairs that I have now. I need a conversation area and so that is why I am thinking two club style chairs for either side of the entertainment center or adding a loveseat. Then I could make the reading nook like you are talking about by the window!!!

The ceilings are great to look at and to have "mood lighting"(DH calls it nude lighting in the bedroom...ha) but it also makes me think things have to be centered off of the ceiling, like the entertainment center or our bed for example.

You answered one question about the art with the red in it. I figured it was too big for that wall, but just wanted to see what others thought. It would only have about an inch clearance around it. I am also looking for some kind of chest or demilune table for that little wall. Trying to make that DH landing spot for keys, wallet etc, instead of the bar in the kitchen.

The nightstands in the bedroom are the same height, the lamp on the left is a little shorter than the one on the right, I just thought they probably shouldn't be taller than the headboard of the bed. It's not real easy to reach the lamp to turn it off from bed.

I need a console/buffet, more seating, coffee table, end table, lamps, rug, artwork, drapes. Accessories, I'll worry about later. I just want to get my big pieces set first.

I have "hurricane fatigue" and just want this done and pray that we will have a quiet season this year, so we can actually relax and actually enjoy our home.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

I'm not great at visualizing but just wanted to say your home is lovely. How deep are the built-ins? Do they stick out a little from the wall or is it just the trim applied to the wall?

I don't understand about the extension cord to the liquor cabinet - I see an outlet between where it would go and the counter. Why can't you use that? If you want another on that same wall it's not hard to add one - just stick another in between that and whatever the next one on the circuit is, or pull power down from the switch on the right.

• imsoconfused
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Juddgirl thank you for the compliments!

Ajsmama, I realized I didn't finish that thought about the extension cord. I meant I can't have a lamp on an endtable between the chairs or else I would have to have an extension cord going across the walkway. That's why I want a console or such so that I can plug it in where you are talking about. Thanks for catching that so I could clear it up.

The builtins are 9 inches deep, but there is trim around the sides that sticks out just a little but then crown at the tops that sticks out several inches.

Oh, and we don't drink much liquor, just like to have some assortments on hand for guests and parties and such! lol

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

OK, now that makes sense. We don't drink much either, we keep beer soda and wine in the basement (or "wine cellar" - a box under the stairs!) and a bottle of DH's birthday/Xmas Scotch (only thing I can think of every year - at least I try to vary the brand/age, he only drinks single-malt), maybe a bottle of Capt. Morgan's or Frangelico in the DR buffet server.

You must have really deep interior walls for a 9" built-in. I'm thinking of making my bookcases to sides of bay window partially built-in (when we get around to it - carpenter is busy with other jobs so I missed my chance) but it's exterior wall and I worry about insulating.

Good luck with the arranging - love to see more pics!

• scarlet_morgan
    15 years ago

Your home and your furniture is absolutely gorgeous. May I ask what your wall color is? I really like it.

Thanks!

• imsoconfused
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Scarlet, the color is SW Blonde. It changes in the light. I really like it! We had Ivorie, one up on the same strip before the flood, so I decided to go one bolder when we rebuilt.

• kathleenca
    15 years ago

Ballard Designs has a couple of smaller cabinets that might look good on your small wall with the picture propped on it. Both come in 3 finishes & are about $250.
    First is the Vicenza Console, 30 1/2"W x 14 1/4"D x 29 1/4"H
    http://www.ballarddesigns.com/Furniture/Cabinets/Storage-Cabinets/Vicenza-Console-Small/p/10246?path=1%2C2%2C1443%2C1474%2C1681&iProductID=10246

I've been trying to find a place for the Piccola cabinet for a couple of years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Piccola Cabinet, 28 1/2