Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
athomesewing

Does Anyone have Vertical Grain Fir Cabinets?

athomesewing
12 years ago

I've been agonizing over the NEXT decision: cabinet wood species.

We are nestled among the towering fir and cedar trees in the Pacific Northwest. All of our doors (interior) are VG Fir which made me wonder about how that would look in cabinets.

I found a picture (link) of VG Fir cabinets, so what do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Vertical Grain Fir Cabinet example

Comments (15)

• wobbly1905
    12 years ago

That's what we are ordering after seeing a sample at the shop.
    We are going to use Cabinet Door Services 'Mimosa' stain under catalyzed varnish. To avoid door warpage and to obtain uniform grain direction, the matched fir veneer will be laminated to high density particle board.

• athomesewing
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks wobbly, I tried to visit their website but didn't find the Fir.

Hoping someone who already has this will chime in and tell us about it.

Thanks!

• kaismom
    12 years ago

I have VG Fir grain matched slab doors on my kitchen, built in desk, and the fireplace surround. It is a very modern look because it is book matched veneer slab cabinets.

My entire house has oil rubbed VG solid fir millwork.

I have seen many VG fir cabinets in houses that I have toured over the years as I am always looking at open houses.

Anyhow, I wanted to let you know that fir is SOFT and they nick and mark up rather easily. You have to be able to tolerate that live with that. If you already have solid VG fir wood doors that has natural finish, I think fir cabinets will look beautiful. However, the colors will not be the same since fir ages in its own time by darkening continuously. No two pieces will have the same color.

In general, many cabinet makers do not like to stain fir because it nicks so easily AND you can see the unfinished fir underneath as it marks/scratches.

I suggest that you leave the fir in its natural color and let it age.

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

Our cabinets are vertical grain fir. We love them -- finished with Rubio Monocoat oil, which seems very easy to maintain after a little more than a year. Hope this helps.
    Lynn

{{!gwi}}

• senator13
    12 years ago

I don't have them (I have quartersawn white oak), but I LOVE VG fir cabs. Farmgirl's are probably my favorite cabs on Gardenweb. The color is so warm and cheerful. I say GO FOR IT!

• wobbly1905
    12 years ago

Athomesewing,

We are just using the Cabinet Door Services stain. We went to the plant to look at doors and liked the stain color. We are going with frameless cabinets with slab doors. Both CDS and the cabinet shop warned about large solid slab wood doors warping. That's one reason that we are going to use veneer laminated to particle board. The other is that veneer simplifies having the drawer and door grain run in the same direction (vertical in our case). We think that this direction looks good with slab door frameless cabinets. The cabinet shop we selected will make the doors and drawer fronts themselves and use the CDS stain.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

We have Douglas fir cabs in kitchen and bathrooms, too... We got those and fir interior doors to go with the cut-on-our-property fir we used for all the interior trim.

• athomesewing
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for the information and the pictures, those cabines all look fabulous! And... a special thanks to farmgirlinky who was able to show the cabinets along with my Fantasy Refrigerator - sigh...

Rhome, I told hubby we ought to simply drag a few of these trees to the mill and redo the house!

• rhome410
    12 years ago

There you go! ;-)

Farmgirlinky has better color in her photos...Mine don't really look this yellow in person... Much more like the photo you linked.

• kalapointer
    12 years ago

All of our finish molding is in v grain fir and I love the warm glow that it gets. My DH just built this bookcase out of v grain fir and it is beautiful. Farmgirl your kitchen is gorgeous!

• BalTra
    12 years ago

farmgirl et al -
    Are your VG fir solid wood?
    I will have full overlay cabs, would love solid wood but do worry about the concern for the wood expanding/warping.

Thoughts?

I love love the look of the fir-
    Thanks!

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Ours have plywood boxes, and the doors and 5-pc drawers have solid frames with plywood recessed panels. Of course, any of the slab drawer fronts are solid, too.

• hellonasty
    12 years ago

Love your kitchen ,farmgirl

• apartment4life
    12 years ago

i love the look of fir, too! One of my favorite design blogs is Chez Zerbey, (http://chezerbey.com/house-tour/) who use a lot of fir in their house. I have been waffling between fir and mahogany veneer doors that go on ikea cabinet boxes. The doors are from semi handmade in the LA area-- they have a few more pictures of fir cabinets on their website (go to "doors"->"classic" and select fir). I visited the factory recently and was impressed by the quality. The owner noted that solid fir is a soft wood and can get easily dinged.

One internal conflict i'm having over this is matching the yellowy fir to a maple butcherblock over part of my kitchen. I'm afraid the two yellows will clash.

Here is a link that might be useful: semi handmade doors

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

Ditto rhome's construction details for our cabinets: as I recall, the different materials have tolerances that must be taken into consideration depending on the design of the cabinet. I'm looking forward to seeing what color our kitchen is in 30 years! Natural fir with an oiled finish should darken somewhat, but not as much as cherry.
    lynn