Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coffeebreak

What do you see in your granite? Just for fun...

coffeebreak
16 years ago

Here is mine. I see an Ice Cream Cone and a Big Fish. Remember when we did this with clouds? :)

The Ice Cream Cone:

The Big Fish:

What do you see in yours?

(Hey there long-time Gardenwebbers... remember the grasshopper looking critter in the granite thread? LOL)

Comments (43)

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Mine is full of dinasaur eggs :)

{{!gwi}}

Could be be fish eggs I suppose :oP

• mysterymachine
    16 years ago

Wow, that fish is cool.

Igloo, I can't wait to see that granite in a coutertop, you know it looks like a river bottom to me, which means you need to scrap your plans and go with fish fossils to complete the look ;)

There wasn't enough space between the slabs in the yard for me to get good pictures of the slab as a whole so you miss some of the effect - but mine made me think of the surface of jupiter.

{{!gwi}}

• dd70
    16 years ago

Funny you ask because I was just saying that mine reminds me of a chocolate river and choloclate swirl ice cream!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

MM that looks like a squished martian!

DD that's some pretty granite...what is it? (I don't need to know mind you...but dang it's pretty!)

MM that's my granite for the family bathroom. It was horribly priced but since I found a scrap I was able to make it work. I love the idea of the little one thinking that they're dinasaur eggs as he grows up with it. That was the room I was thinking of fossils for actually but I'm a bit torn...see two of the walls are going to be papered in antique golf prints (from the early 1900's)...I'm not sure fossils and golf go together...there's a joke somethere isn't there???

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

ME! (kitchen)

and a green sea (bathroom)

• User
    16 years ago

Well, I found a little spot of blue in my Baltic Brown granite

and with closer examination we found this.

• janwad
    16 years ago

(spews coffee on screen, thanks to momj47)

I see the universe, of course, I have Black Galaxy.

• november
    16 years ago

momj47 - I'm crying with laughter.

In mine, I see the soft, serene silence of a quiet winter night. Honed absolute black ;)

• mjsee
    16 years ago

Anyone else remember the cicada? Or was it a grasshopper? Goodness, that was a long time ago!

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago

Ours has a whale:

(It's the whole whale - just doesn't fit on my camera.)

There's another one swimming through th sink.

• daki
    16 years ago

geez...now I'm going to have to stare at my granite some more...

That fish is pretty cool

• mysterymachine
    16 years ago

LOL nice momj47.

Igloo... well I guess you are gonna have to go with dinosaur fossils in the bathroom then (glad you said it was your bathroom becuase I thought I was losing my mind cause I swore you had a granite closer to mine than eggs). The granite fabricators had one similar to your egg slab leaning against mine and said that slab was $15k just for the one slab!

pbrisjar... I actually see an angry shark in yours! yikes! :)

rmlanza... took me a while to get the ME LOL - the reflection didn't show up well on my monitor.

dd70, cool! Your granite looks a lot like mine does in places. Isn't it cool how the clear parts give it such a wonderful depth (that doesn't show in pictures)?

I can't remember the grasshopper but I forget things - how long ago was that? I am somewhere around my one year GW anniversary (says I joined on April 10... I can't remember how long I just read before registering).

• pcjs
    16 years ago

I love the fish - that is too cute.

Igloochic - don't you have some adoption people to go annoy . You don't have time to be wasting looking at your granite anymore.

• november
    16 years ago

igloochic - not to hijack, but congratulations - we adopted our oldest ds :) I'm jealous that you have that amazing experience ahead of you!

• redroze
    16 years ago

Hey tsdiver...is your granite called Bianco Antico (or White Diamond is another name for it)? That's the granite that I'm considering and I'd love to hear your experience with it, as we keep getting warned that it's very delicate.

• natesgramma
    16 years ago

Lots of calories.

• holligator
    16 years ago

I have a pterodactyl in my soapstone.

• terible
    16 years ago

Momj47.......your killing me HAHAHA! Oh, that was funny.

• coffeebreak
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You guys have the best granite! Very creative!

Redroze - yes, it is Bianco Antico. We are meeting with our fabricator in the next few days. The slab is only on hold right now. I have read that for fabricators, it can be on the crumbly side. I also read on the stone advice forum that the homeowner might want to consider full bullnose or 1/2 bullnose (I hope that is right) to limit the possibility of chipping. Hopefully, I will have more information for you soon....

Yeah... that grasshopper thing was a funny one. I think it was a couple of years ago (deep sigh... and we are still not done with our remodel yet). Most folks thought it was a hoax... I don't know how it ended up... but it sure stirred the pot here for a while. :)

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    16 years ago

Everyone thinks mine looks like a map of the earth from the Hubble or some spy satellite. When I choose the other slab this weekend, I will see what I can find in it.

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

I'm still trying to find the antelope in my Impala Black granite. :-)

{{!gwi}}

Jodi-

• auntiebubba
    16 years ago

Ooh, ooh can I play???

I see a fish too! Well - maybe just a fishhead (if you squint hard enough)!!! And a bird swooping down on the fishhead! (okay, work with me here, if you can see Abraham Lincoln in a bunch of clouds I can see a fish and bird in my darn granite!!!)

I stopped following that grasshopper thread, did the poster ever fess up to the prank? Or did they slink into oblivion?

• bellsrus
    16 years ago

mustbnuts - I see a face in your granite. It is (on my monitor) about 2-3 inches to the right of the info paper taped to the granite. It looks like a old Greek god, or something, with wavy hair, closed eyes, you can see his nose, he has a mustache...anyone else see it, or am I nuts?

• remodelfla
    16 years ago

mustbnuts... is that the yellow river granite? I think I see a reflection of myself in mustbnuts granite!

• caminnc
    16 years ago

Cookies!!!

(not my granite though)

• dd70
    16 years ago

igloochic-its called "delicatus" I've heard some people call it juparan delicatus, I guess it's the same. The minute I saw it I could feel my whole face light up, had to have it.

mysterymachine-You have a pretty awesome piece of rock. I agree, love the clear quartzy looking flecks, I just stare at mine sometimes. Pics don't do it justice really. It's amazing that this comes from the ground and with a little
    polishing...poof...overpriced rock for a countertop!

caminnc-It took me a minute..LOL

• franki1962
    16 years ago

I chose this part of the granite because it looked like flames or fire

• neesie
    16 years ago

Wow! Granite is beautiful. I've been in the process of deciding what I want for new countertops and after seeing granite in person I said, yes, yes! BTW, when I was a kid I used to see things in the oil that surfaced in rain puddles. My neighbors must have thought I was a nutcase!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

LOL I've bothered all the adoption people I can stand this week and now am just nursing DS who's got the flu again (third this winter grrrr).

MM the yard quoted me $3,000 for a 33" counter out of that dinasour egg stuff when I was looking at a big slab. DH says "We should do that in the kitchen" (mind you it does NOT fit the design). I had to smack him back down to earth with the cost of the slab (the one we were quoted was $20,000 and we'd need more than one...they don't sell partials of this stuff). Changed his mind right away!

Then I was over in the scrap pile an a litle chunk was just sitting there smiling at me...It's about 4 1/2' x 4' I think. It's (I'm using adoption talk now since it's on my mind) a "hard to place" granite because it's so different and most folks would want a much bigger piece, so I got a steal on the piece, which will be the countertop, backsplash and probably a couple shelfs and hot plates (it wasn't THAT cheap...I'm using every inch of it!) when it's all said and done.

I wish I had a picture of my whole kitchen slabs. I picked them out before GW (BGW?) and didn't know how obsessed people would be so I just took a sample chunk. So the pictures I have are of Vulcan Gold Extra (Extra meaning extra money and extra black veining). Mine really is quite a bit like yours. I never never never see vulcan gold anywhere though so it's hard to show pics.

Hopefully there's a nice fish or cookie in it LOL If I had all dinasaur eggs I'd probably just see money when I looked at the stupid thing LOL

• flatlander62
    16 years ago

Bellsrus--you're not nuts.

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

well I have (which I am not taking a picture of) something that looks just like female genitalia. Luckily it's hidden on the end. I guess it goes nicely with the boob light on the ceiling.

• dd70
    16 years ago

buffetgirl-LOL, you know you have to take a pic of that and show us now!! I call mine boob lights too.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

mysterymachine-- it's not very often I comment on anyone's choice of stone, because I love ALL stone. But that slab of yours is absolutely incredible!! What's the name of it?

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

AuntieBubba, I see a running horse and playful deer in your granite.

{{!gwi}}

Jodi-

• pcjs
    16 years ago

I'm enjoying you bothering the adoption folks as it's usually me doing it . You make great points and are really making people think. You are on the international board - you found the scam board and the 2 adopt board or do I have to tell you where those are too!

Tell your husband, college is running $50,000 a year, so by the time the kids are in school, it could be $100-150,000 a year, so spend 1/2 that much on granite and put it in the college fund... well, depending on how much the adoption costs.... granite is cheap compared to what we are spending trying to adopt.

• needanap
    16 years ago

tsdiver, I saw the ice cream cone right away, but when you said big fish, this is what I saw in your stone - just the tail end! And did you notice how the linear waves in the upper right corner so beautifully repeat the pattern of the overhead power lines?

{{!gwi}}

• daki
    16 years ago

My whitewater river with a bridge going across (hard to get the effect of the translucent river in a photo
    {{!gwi}}

• coffeebreak
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Needanap - How funny... I didn't see the "whale tail" until you pointed it out! Love it!

Yeah... and those power lines... sure... uh huh... yep... I did that on purpose (yeah right)... or... it could have just been an accident ;) Nice of you to notice though!

• teched
    16 years ago

Especially for natesgramma, who sees ice cream, check out this link: Granites are like ice cream!

Here is a link that might be useful: Granites are like ice cream!

• natesgramma
    16 years ago

Thanks teched! That was sure interesting.

Here is a little guy we found in a 2x6. Unfortuantely he got covered by drywall but I thought I'd share him anyway.
    {{!gwi}}

• kristenfl
    16 years ago

I have a little rainbow (that drives me nuts) in my granite.

What I love is the cocker spaniel on my wood floors!

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago

We had to clear the counters as the granite guys are coming back to address a few issues. Here's a good pic of our whale:

I also just discovered this sea creature (I'm calling her a barracuda) today:

(sorry for the glare)

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

rmlanza, I see a lady swimming in your river bottom!

Can you see her? She's reaching out in front of her (as she swims from left to right. The "picture" cuts her off about mid thigh.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!