Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texsun_fun

Heat Pump+Propane+Solar=Pentair?

texsun_fun
13 years ago

I've been discussing the options to integrate 3 heat sources with either a Jandy or Pentair controller with a potential PB. He primarily sells Jandy and states that this capability is built into the Jandy controller, but may not be possible with Pentair. I'm favoring Pentair for its iphone interface and better lighting. Anyone know for sure?

Comments (12)

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

Intellitouch can do it too.

Scott

• Rack Etear
    13 years ago

You can to it, but I believe you have to rely on the internal temperature controls of the heat pump.

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

Think the Jandy would be any different?

Scott

• Rack Etear
    13 years ago

I just played with the trainer, and I'm going to say if it's possible, its not easy.

• just-a-pb
    13 years ago

Gas heat, and solar would be temp controlled by Intellitouch, and heatpump would use a relay, with controls on heatpump being used, mainly just a set temp.
    We often set them up this way so gas and heatpump can be used at the same time.

I dont believe jandy would be much different.

The only one that will actually temp control all three is the Aqualogic from hayword. You can actually run one, two or all three at once, and set prefereces. Goldline did set that up right, I wish Pentair would follow suite, that is the only thing that has been lacking.

As far as ease of use for the customer, Intellitouch kicks Jandys butt. You can have one button pushes for anything you want to do. No scrolling through menus.

• trhought
    13 years ago

texsun fun....another opinion to balance the other posts.

Jandy has a new Aqualink Touch that I've been checking out. It looks pretty cool with a touch screen and one touch buttons with macro capability..the scrolling controller just-a-pb mentions is Jandy's entry level controller so not really a fair comparison in my opinion.

The Aqualink touch is more in line with the Intellitouch as far as features and pricepoint. As far as I can tell...it does not offer the smartphone interface or internet interface that Intellitoch offers...so that alone may take it off the table as an option for you. Maybe worth asking your PB about this feature as it sounds like they are familiar with Jandy controllers and this is an important option for you.

The Aqualink does offer control of triple source heating devices via internal logic. The catch is one of the heat sources has to be dedicated specifically to the spa...either a heat pump or gas. For example, if the gas heater is dedicated to the spa, then the controller will control the spa temp internally while also controlling the heat pump / solar for the main pool with assignable priority for either solar or heat pump. The other catch is the heat pump has to have RS485 communication capability to interface to the Aqualink system when solar is also present...without the RS485 interface, the temperature will be controlled by the heat pump itself when solar is present.

Sounds like your PB is familiar with Jandy equipment and may be able to offer some guidance in this area also.

Hope this helps.

• disneyjoe7
    13 years ago

I considered doing this myself, My idea was to use the spa output jack to power up a relay to switch the heater between Propane heater to a Heatpump heater.

So I could use Solar on the pool, if needed a heatpump heater. Then be able to use a propane heater for the spa.

I never did it, but Pinch a Penny talked to Pentair, and stated Pentair would update my controller if I brought a Heatpump from them.

• texsun_fun
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I really appreciate all the feedback. This particular PB has both systems set-up in the showroom, so I'll go over tomorrow to check them out. He mentioned that Jandy has smartphone capability rolling out next month, so may level the field for me.

• texsun_fun
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I really appreciate all the feedback. This particular PB has both systems set-up in the showroom, so I'll go over tomorrow to check them out. He mentioned that Jandy has smartphone capability rolling out next month, so may level the field for me.

• trhought
    13 years ago

texsun fun.....good to know...please let me know if it has smartphone capability also....Thanks.

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

I would expect, if it's close to being soup, it will be shown at the Zodiac/Jandy booth at the NESPA trade show in Atlantic City NJ next week. I will inquire.

Scott

• Rack Etear
    13 years ago

" He mentioned that Jandy has smartphone capability rolling out next month,"

Next month in the pool biz = who knows.