Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierdoc_gw

RO system install

hoosierdoc
15 years ago

I will be installing an RO system in our new construction, and running a line to the refrigerator water/ice connection and to the sink for a side port. Can I mount the unit in the basement and run a tube up into the kitchen? There would be about a 9' height change involved. I'm looking a ~$300 three-filter system. I just don't want to take up an entire cabinet with the hardware which is why I'm looking to do a basement install.

Comments (8)

• User
    15 years ago

Yes and use PE (polyethylene) tubing. Copper tubing and RO water don't work and play well together.

Here's a tip... intelligent use of these

will make servicing your RO a lot easier.

• biermech
    15 years ago

Yes you can make a run that long. I would make the run in 1/2" tubing and reduce to 3/8" or 1/4" where needed. Reducing the 1/2" will give an artificial boost.

• User
    15 years ago

a 9 foot rise is not all that much but check the docs for your fridge. Many of the new design fridge water dispensers and ice makers won't work on the low water pressure that an RO provides.

• asolo
    15 years ago

Ice makers do work better with 50+ psi as opposed to the 8-30psi range of typical RO's. FWIW, I've had two RO-supplied frig/ice-makers running at two locations for almost 17 years. Both frig's replaced 4 years ago. Old and new frig's ice-makers worked and work fine with RO's lower pressure. However the flow from the water dispenser is slower than it would be otherwise.

My installations are at same level. With these lower pressures coming from the RO storage tank I would have some concern about that 9' rise. I suspect you may be on the edge with that. Also suspect it will probably work.

• User
    15 years ago

I have seen fridge documentaion that specifically mentions that the ice maker may not work with an RO due to the low pressure. I agree with Asolo as my fridge that is 4 years old and works fine but mentioned it as a heads-up for OP as he mentioned new construction.

Certain brands of RO, such as Kinetico, do have a firmer "push" on the RO output.

I have seen many RO installations under the kitchen sink that have a farther run than 9 feet to the fridge/ice maker. Going up is harder than going sideways but I do suspect it will work.

• asolo
    15 years ago

Thought......

The "nut" in this deal would be delivery pressure outbound from the storage tank. The rest of the components which operate on household line pressure could go anywhere with no worry. Any chance the storage tank itself could remain on same level as frig?

• dan_martyn
    15 years ago

Will this be on City water or Well water? If on a well, you can slightly adjust the pressure switch higher. If on city water call the water department and ask what is the delivery pressure at the sight. You are not changing the elevation of the termination point so there would be no additional pressure loss due to elevation. The pressure loss you would be concerned about is the dynamic pressure loss due to resistance in the small diameter tubing to the icemaker. Keeping the tubing length from the filter to the icemaker to a minimum would help. The RO filter data sheet will tell you what the pressure loss is through the system.

Hope That Helps,

Dan Martyn

• asolo
    15 years ago

Dan, you are incorrect. The RO pressure/storage tank is more-or-less isolated from household pressure. It is independently pressurized. If the pressure/storage tank resides below the delivery-point there certainly is pressure-loss with elevation.