Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

which layout would you choose? STAIRS/doors

12 years ago

We are now back to seriously considering moving our basement stairs to line up with our stairs that go upstairs. (presently there is a strange dead space that is hidden behind out cabs and LR wall...)

This is Plan A that DOES NOT have the stairs moved. Half of the LR is then 12' deep (21' wide).

Here is the same with the stairs moved over: The LR becomes 15' deep almost all the way.

We really think if it works out budget wise (opening will cost more for support) we will go with moving the stairs. The other "plus" is that it greatly improves our basement layout for when we finish it in the future. Moving them really opens up the first floor.

*We are thinking of putting a set of 6' french pocket doors between the LR and DR where those 3' highlighted walls are drawn in to delineate space and be able to separate when kids are doing hw with me in the Kitchen/DR while someone else is watching TV in LR. (many other scenarios as well)

Without the stairs, it's tempting to "skip" those and have a more open space (about 11'). With doors we would need to have a 6' opening. Not sure if they will be pocket or french doors. Also, I thought if we did a door like these that slide, when open it would be a more open look because of the glass instead of a "wall". (although walls are easier to put furniture against maybe?

********SO- Question 1: Move stairs?

Question 2: Use doors between LR and DR to separate spaces or leave it "OPEN"? Thanks for any input : )

Comments (6)

• 12 years ago

I would definitely move the stairs. You will be able to do so much more with the wider space especially if there will be a TV in the room. I like the doors too but I think that uncentered fireplace would bother me.

• 12 years ago

I think that moving the stairs opens up an expensive can of worms. I agree that the now off center fireplace will be irritating and difficult to work furniture placement around. You should plug in standard furniture sizes to see what I mean here. You are gaining "space", but it is not that much more usable space for the money spent. Unless it makes the basement layout that much more functional, I would skip this.

• 12 years ago

I would move the stairs and add the pocket french doors! They look great and will give you some noise control, from the kitchen to living room.

As for the fireplace, off-centered can really work well! You don't really have space for a chair and ottoman, on the right side, but it would fit very well, on the left side. It also gives you more room, for your Christmas tree, too!

My plan has a fireplace with 3' on the right and 5' on the left. It's a remodel and that's the way it looks now...and I think it works really well, in the space. Since you're getting away from the 'formal' look you started with...I think you have more flexibility with your 'cape cod cottage' style :)

• 12 years ago

I would do option 1 and not move the stairs.

I don't think you gain enough to justify the extra probably 10+ grand of cost. That money could add a LOT of bling to the kitchen, vs. the few feet of what doesn't look like terribly usable space to be gained in the living room.

• 12 years ago

Agree with definitely correcting the stairs, which does wonderful things for the entire first floor. This'll be a big-payback improvement, to a degree that, if budget were an issue, I'd make the stairs a top priority and do a staged kitchen remodel if necessary (inexpensive counter upgraded later for instance).

• 12 years ago

Well, yes cost could be a factor. If it's $10 grand I don't know if we'd still want to do it but we can find that out.

Either way, the fireplace isn't centered. Even now, without any reno, our furniture is larger on the left side (chair, table, lamp) than the right side (chair only).

Furniture is another factor I agree. I've been moving furniture around and looking at measurements of new furniture trying to see what works. One reason we were not sure about stairs was b/c we'd be gaining space but it's not too usable like others said above. (b/c of a door for the stairs, too) An idea would be to put the door at the BOTTOM of the stairs and although we'd have to leave some space we could put a chair or something on the yellow wall on the left.

Without moving the stairs we still are taking 2.5' off of that corner and even our love seat wouldn't work that well b/c the sofa isn't lined up well with it. It's possible though. We have a really nice coffee table that isn't being used in this house b/c the 12' LR doesn't allow room for a sofa/loveseat/table and still a good walking space to get into DR.

Thanks for your comments. There's pluses and minuses to everything of course. We'll have to weigh it all out.