Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer328

Checking a high quote for San Francisco Bay Area

jennifer328
17 years ago

I am just starting to solicit bids for pool construction. I live in Marin County north of San Francisco (where construction costs are always high!) I'm planning an in-ground gunite pool that is an irregular L shape with an attached spa. The size is:

pool - 30' long, 10'x10' on one end and the rest is 20'x7'

spa - 4'x7', same level as pool but with raised coping

I've requested these items as part of the bid:

quartz or pebble surface finish with 1x1 tile edging

stamped concrete decking/coping (large patio plus down the side of the house - a lot of concrete)

salt water system

solar heating

in-floor pop-up cleaners

in-pool lighting

This job will also require breaking up existing stone patio and concrete. A small tractor will be needed due to small size of yard entry.

I received my first quote from Blue Haven in Sonoma. I almost choked when I saw the price. The "base" was only $38,000. But, adding on all my requirements jacked it up to $82,000!

Of course, I will be getting more bids, but, I'd like to hear from others in the Bay Area to find out if this is normal pricing.

Thanks.

Jennifer

Comments (17)

• swim_dude
    17 years ago

This is par for the course...you live in an expensive area...location...location...location! I live in Fairfield and paid $100K for the same you listed. We went w/ Swan Pools.

• jennifer328
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Swan Pools is coming over on Saturday. I would love to hear about your experience with them.

• bayarea4
    17 years ago

We're actually in San Jose, but we were quoted $64K + 17K for stamped concrete decking- we had to sub out for the concrete (lots of concrete). By the time we added on some extras... mosaics, an extra solar panel and a few other small things... I'd say we spent at least $85,000 on our pool (16'x33.5' with raised 7.5' spa, Jandy pda8, deck jets, SWG, 3M quartz plaster). We went with Swan and had a really good experience.

Love our pool! Good luck!

-April

• tommyw
    17 years ago

You might reconsider the salt water system, solar heating and in-floor pop-up cleaners. I'm in Santa Cruz and a solar blanket is more than enough to keep pool nice and warm. Get a Polaris instead of the floor pop-ups and salt water system is more trouble than its worth IMHO.

• chels.hoff
    17 years ago

we live in the Walnut Creek area and are in the decking phase with our pool. We got several quotes but went with Premier Pools and Spa. Have been very happy so far (except for mother nature)you can see pics in the link i posted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Pool

• rasputinj
    17 years ago

For me solar was an additional $6500. Salt should $1300 or so. In floor popup cleaners I had a quote for almost 3k for that (this could be a bit on the high side) I had 1200 sq feet of concrete put in at $8.50 a foot so it can really add up. Try not to judge pricing off of a base price.
    I would also try to get some quotes from some smaller PBs in your area. Be sure to Google Blue Haven and Swan.

Good luck pools are expensive. I spent over 110k for a pool I was hoping to spend $60k on. Cost overuns and/or extras come with the territory in pools.

Look into a 2 speed pump if you are not going with solar.

• jennifer328
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help. The second quote (from Swan) came in. It's comparable to Blue Haven. However the Swan guy said that solar wouldn't work in my area. A neighbor 2 doors down has a solar heated pool and it works great. I have the perfect south-facing roof line for the panels that would get sun all day long. I figured Swan just doesn't work with any solar subs and so doesn't recommend it. I was also not happy with the fact that he was pushing 3x3 edge tiles when I wanted 1x1. I really don't get that.

Now I'm patiently waiting for estimate #3 from Janssen Pools of Sebastopol. This is a small pool builder who normally does high-end work. Seems to really know his stuff and he gets that I'm on a budget. Anyone here know Jess Janssen?

At this point I've decided the following:
    - solar heating with gas heating for the spa worth it for PG&E savings
    - save the expensive of the in-floor pop-up cleaners and use a good roaming cleaner
    - SWG for the low-maintenance and nicer water
    - 3M Colorquartz for a cost-effective finish that will not show dirt and last longer than plain plaster
    - dual pumps
    Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

• golfgeek
    17 years ago

jennifer328,
    You might try calling London Pool & Spa in Sebastopol. 707-823-0581. I've seen their work and it is very nice.

• rasputinj
    17 years ago

Solar is good just expect at least a 5-6 year payoff on it. I held off and just use a cover and so far so good. Not as good as solar but it does help. I decided not to do it, I would have had to put it facing east and I could not justify the cost, but maybe after a couple of years I might regret the descision.

I would suggest the blue diamond or dolphin. I have the dolphin and love it, it does a good job, very quiet. I also use the pool buster with a fine filter for the spa and quick clean up work. .

I would also suggest something like colorquartz, I now wish I had it to hid the dirt a bit more.

I really do like my SWG.

• jvmagic
    17 years ago

Hi jennifer328,
    you should try
    California Aqua Pros http://www.calaquapros.com/pools/
    they do beautiful work.
    Let them know Pete's Reliable Pool Care sent you and ask for Greg.

• willweeverbedone
    17 years ago

We're out here in Antioch and did our pool two seasons ago. 3M was same price exactly as Pebble Fina from Adams Pools. For what it's worth...

Ralph

• tsa3234
    17 years ago

Here in S Cal (similar scope), I started at $50k and got to $100k with landscape, hardscape, and pool features real fast. That number does not include my time which is now easily over 200 hours mostly during reg biz hours. If I was a $300/hr atty for ex. (which I'm not), that's another 60g's ! By the way, YOU are the one that WILL build YOUR pool. Also, learn the game.

Now that I know how it works (monster markups on everything), I would ...

(1) Use a pool builder (to get a warranty) where the owner/manager of the company is a craftsman and likes to be hands-on. Avoid companies that use the salesperson/project manager/admin person/subs model. Find one that will do cost of subs + 20%. Not too many pools per year, but not too few either. Call local landscape/hardscape designers and pool equipment companies and ask who they would use to build a pool. Sort of like calling the local dentists to find out who they go to personally for orthodontia. They will also tell you the ones to avoid. Check refs, go look at 2 or 3 recent projects in your general area. They are out there and there are good ones, but tough to find.

(2) DYI/time & materials -- get a good hardscape/landscape company to general the thing and let them use their favorite pool builder

• swim_dude
    16 years ago

If you go w/Swan Pools of Napa, be very wary! These guys are dis-honost and will jack up your price even more once the building starts. I won't even tell you what thier after pool build service is like.

• sharon1
    16 years ago

Second for watching out for swan. Blue haven doesn't have a great reputation either, do a thread search on both.

Owner/Builder or a small outfit is probably a better way to go.

• beachdiva
    16 years ago

My first thought reading this thread was to suggest getting bids from other than Swan and Blue Haven. Blue Haven gets way more bad feedback than good, and Swan is usually high priced and mixed reviews. I'm in Stockton and went with Premier Pools over here. They built a good pool and I negotiated a fair price, but their customer service and communication was appalling. Wouldn't recommend them unless the price was really right. I'd look for a smaller PB if I had to do it again. Our pool was approx 29'x16' (400 ft freeform). Pebble Sheen finish, solar (8 panels), 2-speed 2hp Jandy pump, Polaris 360 cleaner, auto fill, Jandy PDA and Aqualink controller, sheer descent, about 40 ft of raised bond beam, 400 sq ft of stamped colored concrete for $40,800. We paid another $1800 to demolish existing patio and patio overhang and take out few shrubs and small trees. $225 for new fencing material (they built new fence as part of contract). $3,200 for additional 300 sq ft of stamped colored conrete. And $1200 to move 220v line for existing above ground hot tub. ($47,225 total) We bid out landscaping and irrigation separately.

One other thing to consider if you go with a pebble finish. Try and get an idea of which colors you like and make sure that color level is specified in the bid. They usually don't tell you the pebble finish only includes a couple colors, and then when you pick your color further in the building process, you find out it's a "premium color" with a premium upgrade charge. Also, don't hesitate to let them know they're bidding against each other and you're on a tight budget. You'd be amazed how the price can come down.
    Good luck!

• scal
    16 years ago

Hi beachdiva,

How is your 2 speed 2 HP Jandy pump working with the Solar panels? I am considering the same combination. One concern I have is whether the pump at low speed will be able to push water 2 stories high through 8 Solar panels. The Solar panels require a minimum of 5 GPM , so 8 of them would require a minimum of 40 GPM. Does the 2 speed Jandy provide more than 40 GPM?

Thanks
    --Scal

• ruben232009
    14 years ago

im ruebn salinas ceo of ruben concrete we are in the city of brentwood in the east bay i just seen this page and i'd love to give you a price on you pool.i suppley a 3D vision its no coast it really for the coustomer to see how there pool and concrete would look with there its free so if that sounds good to you feel free to contact me at my e-mail at ruben23salinas@yahoo.com or call me on my cell at 925-752-0372 thank