Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cncguy_gw

loop-loc work well with pavers? IM AFRAID!

cncguy
16 years ago

well,after recieveing an awesome price on pavers around my pool,i spoke with my PB today regarding a loop loc cover and was told that its not a good idea to use a loop loc cover with paver as it will rip the pavers out where the cover is attacthed.can anyone verify this?we definately want a loop loc cover but don't want any problems with the pavers.then again if i go with poured concrete im aftraid of cracking.do not want to use the trditional cover,definately want the loop loc.please someone respond.

thanks,cnc guy

Comments (10)

• Rack Etear
    16 years ago

Short answer is no you cannot use it.

The pavers must me glued down to a rat slab to accommodate a loop lock anchor.

• poolguynj
    16 years ago

Hoarse feathers! About 1/3 of the covers I've done have been into pavers.

L/L, Merlin, Meyco, and Anchor all have 18" pipes that the installer should set in holes drilled between the pavers. Drilling between the pavers prevents them from breaking.

A 7/8" bit instead of a 3/4" bit should be used to keep the pipes tight to the pavers. If there is poured concrete under the pavers, then a 1" bit is needed.

I also use an electric hammer with a 1" rebar driver bit to tamp the pipes into the holes. It's a lot easier than hammering in the pipes with a 3 lb lump hammer.

The pipes are milled at the top to accept the anchor.

If you are in central NJ, and I can help, send me an email through the forum. If I post my email here,I'll likely get spammed.

• joanneswimsct
    16 years ago

Hey cncguy!
    Don't mean to take over your thread but had a quick question for you. I'll ask my PB tomorrow but thought since I was here... Does CT have a minimum requirement for where to place/how much room for the pump/filter/heater, etc? I read somewhere in the forum that unless the equip is in a walled off room, it needs to be a certain distance away from the water's edge. Where is your stuff? My pool will be under a retractable cover and the equip w/i a walled in area but am now unsure as to how much room it all takes up. I need some sort of HVAC system as well.
    Thanks for your input!
    joanneswimsct

• cncguy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

poolguynj-
    thanks for the response.one of the reasons why my pb is probably against this paver idea w/ looploc is because they are probably afraid of drilling all the holes and having some of the pavers break.i spoke with my paver guy last night and he is bringing me to a house on saturday where the homeowner has pavers (by him)and a looploc cover installed (by him) and it did not pull up any pavers.my when my paver guy was drilling the holes for this particular homeonwer,he did have a paver split,and it was a PIA to replace as it didnt come out easy.my paver guy does quality work,he did my walkway and the pavers are not going anywhere,so i trust him there.since ill be having him put my looploc in,if there are any issues with broken pavers,he will be the guy to fix them.im in CT,so i think NJ is a little bit of hall,thanks for the offer though.while we are on the subject of looploc,i believe jimbar has pavers AND a looploc.
    thanks agin for the reply
    cncguy

• poolio_iglesias
    16 years ago

My PB used the short hold downs and my pavers are a mess.

• cncguy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

just got off the phone with looploc,they said that if the brass anchors are drilled just into the pavers,they will eventually lift up.they do sell the 15" long anchors and if installed correctly,will not lift up.WOW! thats a lot of drilling

• poolguynj
    16 years ago

The anchors themselves are the same ones used in concrete decks. However, they fit into 15" pipes. I just noticed on my earlier post I wrote 18". My error. I also add a 24" #5 rebar for extra depth/strength on my main anchors.

It's not a lot of extra drilling. But if the installer doesn't use an electric hammer, the helper's arms are going to be hurting.

• little_country_gal
    16 years ago

WOW! Great to know, as I have always been told that the loop-loc covers will not work with pavers. Great info!

• jfilaset
    16 years ago

I have an anchor cover and cobblestone pavers... no problems at all, they used the 18" pipes.... it looked like it was a LOT of work for them to install, but so far no problems... and they didnt crack any pavers

• PRO
    K & R pool service
    7 years ago

Not true you can 100% use loop loc but you have to have the proper anchors these are actually called paver anchors they are 15" long and you drill holes through pave then drive anchor till it is just below surface then tread anchor into threads and your ready to go ans in the summer your anchors just get turned down flush to the paver surface . Hope this helps