Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmphoto_gw

Water softener settings help

JMphoto
10 years ago

I just installed a 32,000 grain capacity softener that uses a Fleck 2510SXT metered valve. We have three people in the home and our water hardness is not too bad with a little iron. So when I plugged in the setting of 10, based on our water test, the meter on the softener said something like 2600 gallons before it would have to recharge. The other setting is how many days until it would do a recharge if the capacity was not met, and that is set to 14. So my question, we don't use a lot of water, so we will probably never hit the metered mark of 2600, which means it will recharge every 14 days. Is 14 days too long to wait for a recharge?

Comments (4)

• User
    10 years ago

"...hardness is not too bad with a little iron" is not sufficient data to calculate the proper settings for your softener.

If you bought a 32k (1 cu ft) softener from just the scant information you posted it is undersized.

With a correctly sized softener for your water conditions and water use when using the softener to treat iron one generally doesn't want to go longer than 3 or 4 days between regenerations or you can foul the resin. You'll also want to be doing routine resin cleaning.

Since you bought what you bought post the following info and we'll get it setup as best we can...

Water system or well?
    hardness
    iron (ferric and ferrous)
    manganese
    pH
    TDS
    sodium
    copper
    arsenic
    nitrates and bacteria (if on a well)
    # of bathrooms
    size of the plumbing at softener location
    SFR of the well or plumbing

• JMphoto
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, that was very vague. We did have the water tested. I don't have the results of the water test in front of me, I will post those as soon I get home. I also failed to mention that we also installed a Sulfur/Iron removal backwashing filter prior to the softener which backwashes every 3 days.
    We are on well water, and we did have some coliform bacteria in the water so we also installed a Sterilight Silver UV light. So the system is, two 20" big blue filters (a 20 micron then a 5 micron for sediment) then the iron/sulfur pro, then the softener then the UV light. We have three bathrooms. This is a brand new home and the plumbing is 1"PVC from the well tank through the entire system then it goes down to PEX at the distribution block. I'll post the iron and hardness results later. Thanks for your help.

• User
    10 years ago

Have you had the water tested after the iron removal hardware to make sure that is doing its job?

• JMphoto
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, we had the water tested after the iron filter and it was ND. Here is our water results from a test taken from water from the well tank.

Hardness 6 GPG (grains per gallon)
    Iron 0.4 .g/l (ferrous/dissolved)
    Manganese - ND
    pH 7.4 units
    TDS (total dissolved solids) 88 ppm