Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joaniepoanie

Meet my new kitchen/laundry room---pics (I hope!)

joaniepoanie
12 years ago

Hello all,

Here are the pics of my new kitchen/laundry room....I think. I am no good at computer stuff...DH is the computer techie but had to leave for business so I am trying this on my own....sorry if it doesnt work...I am hoping you can click on "view as slideshow." There are before and after pics. We weren't able to change the footprint without moving HVAC, plumbing stacks, etc..way too costly. OK, so the befores dont look horrendous, but what you cant see is the fact that I could no longer scrub off the gunk on the 27 years old origninal builder grade dark oak cabs I painted white 15 years ago. Also, the big split in the lamintate floor by the dining room due to a DW flood years ago. The awful laundry tub and pvc pipe strapped to the wall holding the washer hose need no explanation! The colors aren't exactly right since I don't get a lot of natural light. Oh, and blue carpet in DR is going to be replaced with hardwood. Thanks to all on GW who I learned so much from....and thanks to anyone who can fix the link if I did it incorrectly! So here are the details:

Cabinets: Dynasty, natural maple, Soho doors

Pulls: Berenson "Bravo" in Brushed Nickel

Granite: Persa Avorio

Floor: Dal Tile City View in Skyline Gray 12x24

Fridge: Kenmore Elite CD

Stove: GE Profile Convection

Microwave: GE Profile Advantium

Dishwasher: Bosch 800 series

Washer/Dryer: LG "Wave Force"

Kitchen Faucet: Rohl in Satin Nickel

Soap Dispensers: Blanco in Satin Nickel

Wall color: Ben Moore Bridgewater Tan at 75% (so a little lighter)

http://s1168.photobucket.com/albums/r490/joaniepoanie/

Comments (57)

• debrak_2008
    12 years ago

Really hope you enjoy your beautiful kitchen. Love your granite. Using the granite for the backsplash seems perfect for your kitchen.

• SugarCookies
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Enjoy your new space! :)

• kellienoelle
    12 years ago

So beautiful, I especially love the granite, both as counters and as backsplash, especially with the color of the cabinets. It is just all so serene. Enjoy it!

• codymaxx
    12 years ago

Joanie, It looks wonderful! Now, I'm wishing we'd gone with slabs instead of shaker but I think they're already ordered as of Friday. I've been so eager to see your pics because we have a small galley, too. If ours comes out even half as nice as yours, I'll be pleased. Thanks for sharing the photos and for your helpful pointers along the way.

• abfabamy
    12 years ago

Just wonderful! I love your granite, it is really beautiful! I think your tile floor is so clean and modern.

While I love the look of a wood floor, I am so glad to see a kitchen with lighter tile. We did tile and it seems all I see anymore is wood...I was starting to second guess myself, LOL!

Just beautiful, enjoy!

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Nice!

• ILoveRed
    12 years ago

Wow. Just gorgeous. Love that pullout under the sink.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Love all the light colors on the cabinets and granite.

The laundry room is awesome, too.

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

Looks great, joaniepoanie! Enjoy!

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Oh it is so calm and so serene. Your kitchen appears to be very simple and yet it is beautiful to look at. I love natural maple (we have it in our bathrooms) and the simple crown molding at the top.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I was going to say serene but now I'd be a copycat, lol...
    I will say instead that I love the mellow vibe you have going. The cabs are delightful with the slab in that pretty grain.
    I love the stone as well, esp as a combo with the cabs.
    Congrats!

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

Cozy and beautiful! Enjoy it!

• ice1
    12 years ago

What a lovely kitchen, absolutely love the granite and those pulls are so modern.
    Every color works so well together. I love everything.

• hlove
    12 years ago

I love the granite, especially brought up through as the backsplash against the beautiful wood cabinets. The floors are wonderful, too! Such a serenely beautiful environment too cook in! Congratulations!

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone for the kind comments! And for all the help and hand-holding I got from my GW friends! The granite and floor are actually a little darker and grayer than they appear in the pictures. We did not move the old table and chairs back in as I want a new set...it sits in front of the slider. Here's the kicker---I HATE TO COOK! Everyone asked me why I was redoing the kitchen since I hate to cook and my reply was "Oh, I never want to actually BE in there, I just want it to be pretty when I pass through!

• carybk
    12 years ago

Looks great. Love the idea of it looking good while you pass through, too-- my mother would say just that.

• codymaxx
    12 years ago

Lol, Joanie! I can totally relate. I hate to cook, too, but the main entrance to our A-frame home is through the kitchen plus it is visibble from the open living/dining area. The kitchen needs to look good.

• splitrock
    12 years ago

When I told my DD I was going to add on a new kitchen, she said, "But, you don't really like to spend time in the kitchen, do you?" I didn't before, but the new kitchen makes it so much more enjoyable. I hope you will like cooking much more in your exquisite new kitchen. I love the sleekness of those cabinets and the way they are complimented by the granite. You were so smart to use it for the BS.

• ci_lantro
    12 years ago

Beautiful. Love everything about your kitchen, Joanie. Esp. the granite and I don't usually even like granite! You did good!!

• Linda
    12 years ago

Beautiful! And so many neat features! Enjoy.

• nini804
    12 years ago

Your cabinets and backsplash are lovely! And your faucet is truly elegant...I know you are enjoying this gorgeous kitchen!

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Elegant! Very lovely; a grand place to pass through.

You might find it's so nice you want to pause a while ... and then, as you're in there, maybe you just might as well heat up some frozen peas ... from there, who knows? It looks like a lovely place to learn to become happy cooking to me! ;)

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Can't wait - demo in progress!!!

• dragonfly08
    12 years ago

Joanie... Beautiful!! I love your granite and how dramatic the backsplash is without going over the top! Your kitchen has simple beauty with a modern feel. And that laundry room... A space like that might make me happy to do the bazillion loads that pile up around here. Or, at the very least, make me feel good just to walk past! Congrats on a lovely job!!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Great job! How nice to be done!

• Joy26.2
    12 years ago

Love the granite. What color is it? I'm just finalizing my plans for the kitchen and would like to see if I can find a granite similar to the one you used. Thanks.

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Joy....the granite is called Persa Avorio. Thanks! And thanks to all for the kind words!

• ckcwong
    12 years ago

As Joanie said, the granite is a little darker in person. Here are my pics, which also show the granite a little lighter than it actually is. My kitchen is even smaller than Joanie's! Also note that my slabs are 2cm, and it looks like Joanie's are thicker.

Natural cherry cabs and natural oak floors. These pics were taken last Nov., so the cherry is a little bit darker now.

• smaloney
    12 years ago

Wow, two totally beautiful galley kitchens for the price of one. As someone with a similarly sized kitchen, I just want to thank you both for showing how great this can look!!

• nycbluedevil
    12 years ago

Great job, both of you! Doesn't it just want to make you smile every time you walk in there? I am just starting--I am so jealous! Enjoy.

• springroz
    12 years ago

And now, the laundry roomis too pretty to do laundry in.....that's going to be MY story!!

Those are such pretty spaces!!

Nancy

• User
    12 years ago

They are both gorgeous kitchens! Joanieponie, what a great idea for the pull out under your sink. Ckcwong, I love your stove, what kind is it?

I've wondered what a full granite backsplash would look like and now I get to see it in two kitchens that are alike, but different. Thank you.

• ckcwong
    12 years ago

The stove is a 30" BlueStar RNB.

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

Simple but beautiful. Maybe my DH would like to tackle the laundry room as he fired me from doing the laundry.

• sanjuangirl
    12 years ago

Wow Joaniepoanie I don't like to do laundry but I would in your beautiful space. The washer/dryer look great with the granite and sink, wouldn't mind spending time in there! The kitchen is smashing, Good job! I'm supposed to be starting my kitchen reno, but keep getting scared off. Seeing your lovely "finished" rooms make me feel brave. Maybe I'll call my GC and and tell him to "set a start date."
    Congratulations and enjoy your great spaces.

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ckcwong....love your granite...ha ha! But I about fell over....did you really pay $30 SF? What part of the country are you in? I think I paid more than double what you paid! I'm in suburban DC. You have a beautiful kitchen and I think your granite looks thicker....

• peonybush
    12 years ago

Ohhhhhh--very, very nice. Love your granite.
    Also like your double trash cabinet. Wish I had that!
    Great job.

• ckcwong
    12 years ago

Joanie, the price was only for the granite and didn't include the fabrication & installation cost. Also, I'm pretty sure your slabs are thicker (3 cm) v.s. mine (2 cm). Mine looks thicker because the edges are laminated, thus 4 cm total. The way to tell is to look at the edge at the sink or the back splash edges.

I'm in Silicon Valley, so a very high labor cost area.

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

CK---you're in a high-price area like us..so we did probably spend about the same....I don't know about you, but I went to about 5 stone yards and fell in love with the Persa the minute I saw it, but I still went back and forth between Caesarstone and the Persa. When we couldn't find tile we liked to go with either, I decided Persa was my gal for the counter and BS. It's only been installed for about a month, but I do find myself standing in the kitchen fawning. Love the little pearlized white flecks that sparkle in the light which I never noticed in the showroom!

• eleena
    12 years ago

joaniepoanie,

You are making me re-think painting my (future) kitchen cabinets, LOL.

ckcwong,

You should have started your own "brag" (sorry, "reveal") thread, instead of hiding in someone else's! Wink.

Both are incredible, congrats!

• eleena
    12 years ago

joaniepoanie,

BTW, LOVE your dining chairs! What are they?

• Dando
    12 years ago

NICE!!!!

• ckcwong
    12 years ago

Eleena ...LOL. I decided to come out of the closet because I was surprised to see Joanie's BS. Great minds think alike. :-)

Other than the granite, which is still not common yet, all the other elements in my kitchen are blatant thievery from GW. From the locations of the recess lighting to the lengths of the drawer handles, are all plagiarized from here.

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Eleena .....those dining room chairs are 30 years old! The set was made by Stanley Furniture. We bought it with our wedding $. One of the chairs needs some cane repair and the table and buffet tops need refinishing, which we plan to take care of this year. Now that the kitchen is done we are redoing the rest of the main floor...first thing to go is the 20 year old blue carpet which is being replaced with hard wood.

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Love your ROCK!

I am completely envious of your laundry room, too. How do you like your LG washer?

• joaniepoanie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Shelayne....thanks! Not quite sure how I feel about the LG yet....I think the cycles are too long....DH and I work in offices...do our clothes really need to wash for an hour? I think the shortest cycle is speedw wash and I think its 35 min....which was about how long my 15 year old Maytag did any cycle. And water temperature is pre selected,maybe you can override it buti haven't figured out how yet. Drying seems to take longer than my Maytag as well. But boy, can you fit a lot without an agitator! I've only had it a month and I probably need to read the manual some more, but the jury's still out...

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Thanks for that info. I had been thinking about one of these newer models, but a friend of mine says she regrets her front-loader, and my mom says the same about her top loader without agitator, though not an LG.

Maybe I'll just stick with my old agitatin' Kitchen Aid for now.

• codymaxx
    12 years ago

I have LG front loader and agree with Joanie about it being slow. But I think the increased cycle time is due to not having the agitator to "beat" the dirt into submission, lol. I don't miss the agitator but wish it were faster. I'm not happy with the dryer. It doesn't seem to have a moisture sensor for dryness level. I think it sets an arbitrary time, possibly based on weight or on load type setting. My old Kenmore was a lot better. It also was better at removing cat hair.

• eleena
    12 years ago

ckcwong,

This is what this forum is for - "plagiarizing"!

I think the posters are only happy one someone else "borrows" their ideas. Isn't imitation the highest form of flattery? LOL

I am going to use every bit of info I can get here on how to plan the inside of the cabinets and drawers. :-)

joaniepoanie,

Who cares how old they are? After all, people pay big $$$ for vintage.

PLEASE post the pix of your dining room when you finish the restoration!

• tea4all
    12 years ago

Wow! Somehow I missed these new kitchen reveals. Your granite is beautiful!!

Joaniepoanie your kitchen is so light and lovely! It would be a happy place to work in or walk through. I love "the mellow vibe" as dianalo said. You did a great job!

Ckcwong your kitchen is delightful. To have that much counter work space would be wonderful. Your woods look beautiful together and the stone crowns it off to perfection. Enjoy!