Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
czarinalex

Is there a cat proof kitchen faucet?

czarinalex
11 years ago

Our 7 month old kitten jumped into our sink while we were away for the weekend. He stepped on the strainer basket and pushed it down. Then he jumped out and hit the faucet handle turning the water on. The handle was in the hot position, so we came home to hot water pouring through our kitchen and LR and the house resembling a tropical rain forest!
Our didn't need to be replaced kitchen was ripped out, along with all the flooring on the main level.
This is the Grohe faucet we had.... we'd like to find something that isn't so easy to push on. I know it was a freak accident but I'm not taking any chances.
All the faucets I like have the side handle. The ones with the handle on top look like the faucet we had 8 years ago.
Any other options?

Comments (27)

• mudworm
    11 years ago

Tapmaster with any faucet. Just a thought.

What a little trouble maker you got there!

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Oh man, and I thought my cats were troublemakers.

• txjoyce
    11 years ago

Costco has Hansgrohe Allegro faucet on sale through the end of the month for $200. Simple clean design with the handle closer than your current one. We've had one for a year and love it. Cat proof - maybe not.

We always turn the water off to the house when we're going to be gone - even if just a weekend. If you have an easy way to do it, it would solve the problem. Or, you could always just take the stoppers out of the sink and hide them. I'm always amazed at how clever and resourceful cats can be. Ours brought an avocado that I'd left out to ripen to us in the middle of the night. Guacamole anyone?

• czarinalex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm not understanding the Tapmaster. It's a foot activated faucet. Seems to me like I'm putting the handle even closer to the cat!
    Yes.. little Sandy is a handful. Life lesson: never name a pet after a major destructive hurricane!
    We live in NY but didn't have any damage due to the hurricane. Sandy the kitten caused estimated $50K damage to our house and it's still climbing.

This post was edited by Marisa99 on Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 18:44

• Fori
    11 years ago

Nah, a cat can't handle a Tapmaster. And unless the cat hit it JUST so, it would release as soon as the cat released it. And for long trips, you could turn off the water with the faucet handle so that kitty would have to turn on the handle, plug the sink, and THEN take a nap leaning on the foot pedal to make you remodel again.

• mudworm
    11 years ago

My three cats never showed interest in that little stick. If you get the Euro model (the most popular one), it takes a little pressure to activate. Even when activated, it's just temporary because it take quite a bit force and careful maneuver to lock it in place (to stay on). I almost never to needed to lock it in on position and I'm glad that I didn't because it's not a very easy maneuver. I'd like to think I'm smarter and stronger than your kitty.

• liriodendron
    11 years ago

Cross handles prevent cross handlers.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

It seems like it was probably a freak accident, and very very unlikely to happen again even with the same faucet. I would guess anything with a handle to be turned instead of a lever would be even safer...

We have a petsitter come twice per day when we're away so I have never worried about these things...

• carolmka
    11 years ago

Sounds like your kitten need a water fountain. My cat lost all interest in running water after I got one. Although Cats under a year old can be very... well you need to treat them like a 1 year old.

• Tim
    11 years ago

I don't have pets, but I'm paranoid enough to a) turn the water off when we're away for any length of time and b) take the strainers/plugs out of the sink altogether.

Funny how kitchen sinks don't have overflows.

• Fori
    11 years ago

It really was such a fluke. I wouldn't worry about it. Invert a plastic juice pitcher over the faucet until cat's passed the wild stage.

I was thinking about kitchen sinks and their lack of overflows just today (as I was trying to unclog the overflow on an old lavatory). Surely they're more likely to overflow than a bathroom sink!

• carp123
    11 years ago

so sorry about that!!! that's nuts!

• elwydee
    11 years ago

Years ago when we lived in an apartment my cats learned to turn on the kitchen faucet. When we came home from work we would find them playing with the stream of water.

I don't have cats now, but I do have a KWC Domo faucet that I love. It should be cat proof because you lift the handle up to turn it on.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I was also just thinking about kitchen sinks not having overflows. What's up with that anyway?

• czarinalex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm not feeling the tapmaster. I'll be going to our local plumbing supply place tomorrow to look at faucets.
    We have a weekend house in the mountains and take such precautions when leaving... always turn water pump off. Here, we have town water and sewer and never think about it. We have no water tanks.. hot water is continuous coil through the oil furnace(that was part of the problem... continuous hot water).

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

I don't have a strainer basket, but just wondering does it have to be in the drain? Can you put it under the sink and only take it out when you need it. If the sink can't be plugged any faucet will do.

• SpecialK12
    11 years ago

My cat can turn all the single handle lever type faucets on. My not aesthetically pleasing, but workable solution is to use an elastic band (the flat ones that the grocery stores use on bunches of asparagus work well). I leave it on the stem of the faucet and just loop it around the lever when I am not around. Those elastic bands are strong enough that my cat doesn't snap them. If he starts to chew through them, I will start using the goody hair ties....animals!

• babushka_cat
    11 years ago

it sounds like a fluke but a 7 month old kitten really should not be left alone for a weekend, they are too young and need supervision. have someone come by once a day and check in.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Cross handle faucets are the only ones I can think of.

Cats are very good at stepping on things, pulling down levers and pushing ot pulling horizontally. Not so good at rotating knobs and pushing up.

2 of my cats love "faucet water", and one of them has learned to operate the push-down tap on the RO unit as well as the horizontal lever handles on the prep sink. We flipped the mechanism for RO water so it's a lift-up, and she lost interest in the other sink too.

So far, the lift-up single levers in the bathroom sinks have not been conquered, nor has the lift-up lever in the kitchen sink.

• SpecialK12
    11 years ago

It may well be a fluke, but as I have learned with my 2.5 year old big boy, it is a possibility that it is not. Thunder just likes drinking from a flowing faucet and he will turn it on and, very occasionally, off. No kitty fountain, nothing I can do has curbed this preference. Ergo, I caved. I now turn the faucet on for him, and off, when he is done - WHEN I am home. Otherwise, the elastic band is on and he has to suffer with fresh water in the bowl and fountain....when I first started putting the elastic band on, it was quite funny to watch him try to get the faucet turned on.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

I turn the water off when I leave for long periods. It is easy in my case. I had a friend who had a hose rupture on their DW and flooded their kitchen. And since it is electric, I turn off the HWH.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I can adjust the tension on the Waterstone faucet - not sure if it would hold up to KAT but an idea.

• scottyburger
    11 years ago

Is the cat just an excuse to replace the faucet? Otherwise I don't see why you can't just tie a piece of string from the handle to the faucet neck, and reinforce with duct tape :D

• katy-lou
    11 years ago

I dont have a recommendation for a faucet, but as someone else who is unexpectedly remodeling her kitchen due to a water leak I can sympathize. Have you considered something like pipe burst pro? It has water sensors (put under sink, DW, fridge etc) and then if water is detected it shuts off the water at the valve. Some other models monitor your "normal" water usage and the shut off if the there is an abnormal spike, others allow you to tell it you're on vacation so any water use would cause it to close.

• vsalzmann
    11 years ago

Another person who uses rubber bands. Works like a charm.

• Kristen Hallock
    11 years ago

LOL. Once my cat or dog turned on the gas on our gas range! I came home to the ticking sound when the burner is trying to light! The knobs on this old range were on the front of the range facing outwards. I figure either the dog was counter-surfing or the cat was running on the counter/range area and rotated the knob with his paw. After that we had to take the knobs off and store them in a drawer.

If you dont want your Grohe faucet anymore, I'll take it! :)