Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mihelene

Exterior paint color assistance

mihelene
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

Hoping to tap your expertise in color once again for some help with exterior paint colors for a vacation home in Florida we purchased last year. Inside has saltillo tile floors, BM Golden straw walls & turquoise & orange accents. Since the house is small I would like to keep continuity in color between inside and out.

I usually like yellow but the present yellow the house is painted has a sort of neon finish to it in areas where the sun hasn't faded the paint and I would like to change it. Also needs a lot of patching so its definitely time for a paint job.
The driveway will be replaced with poured concrete this fall. I think I should take down the plastic shutters on the two windows to the right of the front door. The others are Bahama shutters and do serve as window protection in the event of a hurricane. I am also thinking of changing the coach light, front door light & mailbox (can't see in the picture) from white to black. I kind of like the turquoise front door but am open to any suggestions. What are your thoughts on the squares on the corners that are presently painted white, paint them the same color as the main body of the house or keep them as accents?

I'm thinking I might need to stay in the yellow family as a terra cotta color might be too much with the roof? Or I could go completely crazy and paint the exterior turquoise? Any thoughts or comments would be so appreciated! I'll post a close-up of the front door too.

Thanks for your help,
Helene

Comments (20)

• mihelene
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's the close-up of the front porch area.
    Thanks

• mihelene
    Original Author
    11 years ago

any thoughts??

• randita
    11 years ago

This is a relative's house near Hilton Head, SC. The yellow is more subdued and it has green shutters. I think this color scheme could work with your house and maybe paint the door green to match the shutters.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

Love the yellow and turquoise! A softer yellow would seem like a good idea. I think I would paint the garage yellow also.

• jamie81
    11 years ago

I would go with a softer yellow too. Randitas example is nice. And I would get rid of the white on the corners, paint it the same soft yellow as the rest of the house. Not sure why they would want to draw attention to that.

Is the garage door gray? I would either make it white or yellow. Black on the lights and accents.

• mihelene
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your replies. Garage door is white- just might be dirty! It will be pressure washed along with the rest of the house prior to painting. I don't think I'll paint it as it has a factory finish and its fairly new; painting will start ongoing maintenance. I don't know what the corner accents are for, many houses in the neighborhood have them and most people have kept them in contrasting colors to draw attention to them. I agree Jamie, think they would look better painted same color as body of the house.
    Thanks for your comments!

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

I really like the yellow and the turquoise, so I would just tone down the yellow a little.

• mihelene
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So I am going to stick with a softer yellow/turquoise combo for the house. The main areas of the house are BM Golden Straw, which is a warm golden yellow. Would it be crazy/ too much of the same to paint the outside the same color or should I go darker or lighter for the exterior?

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

What else is on that strip?
    Also, the color will probably look quite different outside than inside. Could you paint a little swatch on the wall and examine?

• randita
    11 years ago

The house photo I posted has the same light yellow in the foyer and hallways of the home and it's not too much. It's a neutral color they liked, so why not?

Other colors they used inside are light sage green and apricot.

• mihelene
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The other colors on the strip are: darker- golden tan, which I have the bedrooms painted in and lighter-mannequin cream. I tried them both outside and the golden tan looks very muddy and the mannequin cream very washed out. Looks like Golden Straw is the winner. Randita, nice to hear someone else has taken that route and it doesn't look bad/odd. They are starting the painting on Tuesday, I will post some follow up picks when they are done. Thanks for your thoughts!

• 1957pinkharley
    11 years ago

So glad I saw this discussion, and Randita's suggestions. I tried Sherwin Williams Banana Cream SW 6673 on my boring flesh-tone house and it looks florescent in the light. Then I tried Jersey Cream SW 6379 by the left window and it looks toned down and I like it.

Our goal is to have the least possible heat gain here in central Florida. So we have a new White roof, which looks light grey to me.

Once the house is all yellow I need a door color and wanted to avoid red. I started looking at blues when I thought my recycling bin looked nice against the yellow. I love the blue door suggestion at the link I attached. But I noticed she does not always answer in a timely manner.

I am trying to accomplish a Cayman Island / Beach type of color theme. Everyone on my street is either grey or beige. I want to stand out and brighten things up, but not scream offensive color to anyone.

Can anyone recommend a way to match a white trim and blue door other than just eyeballing it? I want it too look really well coordinated.

The Blues I am considering for the door are SW6803, SW6802 ( is that too light?), SW6796, SW6790, SW6789.

I can't wait to see Helene's finished pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Online Color Coaching for $25

• 1957pinkharley
    11 years ago

PS I was wondering about my monster sized garage doors. Suggestions have been go with trim color of white - but that would be overpowering, go with yellow in the same color, and go with yellow a step or two darker. I would love opinions.

• randita
    11 years ago

How about painting all the flesh toned areas (inc. the garage door) the same soft yellow shade, keep the white accents, and paint the front door blue or green? The periwinkle blue in olychick's reply is nice as is the aqua shade on mykitchensdone's initial post.

• mihelene
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They started painting the house today and the yellow already looks so much better with just one coat. Pinkharley I will put up some pics next week when they are done and everything is cleaned up. Definitely paint those garage doors the same color as the body of your house or a few steps darker. Unfortunately in FL garage doors are seen as "architectual features". Jersey Cream is just a bit lighter than Golden Straw so hopefully pics of my house will help you out. You do have a lot more leafy foliage around your house than I do.

• 1957pinkharley
    10 years ago

mykitchenisdone, Is your house painting finished and are you pleased with it? If you are, please share the names of the colors you used. I am still trying to make a decision on what shade to go with.

• mihelene
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi pinkharley, House is done and I am pleased with color, not a huge change from before, but much softer. My Iphone camera is on the fritz but I am having professional photos taken on Sunday (house will be a vacation rental) and will post them when I get them early next week.

• mihelene
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the photos of the house post paint/ no shutters and some new lights. Not a huge difference but it looks so much fresher. Used BM Golden Straw & Covington Blue for the front door. Did the door in matte and probably should have used a higher gloss but other than that pleased with the outcome. Harley have you painted yet?

• mihelene
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another from further away, cleaned the roof too, which really helped