Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
damascusannie

Galveston members?

damascusannie
15 years ago

My husband is now working in Galveston, rebuilding homes left in the aftermath of Ike and it looks like we'll be moving down on a semi-permanent basis in April. So is there anybody in that area that can tell me what to expect as a quilter? Is there a guild there? Quilt shops? Other cool things?

Annie (who is in Wisconsin, but not for long!)

Comments (7)

• nanciii
    15 years ago

Annie

They had a wonderful gorgeous quilt shop there. But its gone now. But email them and ask it Quilts by the Bay. They will be able to tell you everything Patricia is a gift.
    Nanci

• mcbird
    15 years ago

Moody Gardens is great. Not sure how badly it was damaged during the hurricane. An awful lot was destroyed and right now there are lots of snakes and other critters. Are y'all going to be in Galveston or in Houston and he'll commute? It's WAY humid and Houston has some crazy traffic, however you'll be set for going to the Houston Quilt show!

• nanciii
    15 years ago

Oh Annie,

You can go down the beach toward Surfside they might have houses to rent. And you can be on the outskirts also near Pearland and Lake Jackson is a wonderful city also.

• barker_tx
    15 years ago

you may need to go to Houston to find quilt shops - I'll get a link and post it in a bit to my favorite quilt shop - just think you can go in person to the Quilt show this Fall. I would suggest trying to rent a house in League City rather than in Galveston. Texas City is closer but it has a huge refinery (think the BP explosion a few years ago).

Our weather is either cool (now) wonderful (April-May and Oct-Nov) or hot as Hades June, July, Aug and humid also.

Get a map or go on line and look for area about 10-15 miles North of Galveston .... Keep in mind there are only 3 ways on and off the island - Freeport, I-45 and the Ferry from the Bolivar Peninsula.

There are bound to be some quilt guilds (I live 60 miles North and about 16 miles West) but I am not familiar with any in that part of the area. Galveston lies in Galveston county and Houston is in Harris County - the dividing line is in the general vicinity of the Space Center (about halfway between the 2 cities).

We Texans are a friendly, welcoming bunch even if we do have 'big-hair'.

Carolyn

• barker_tx
    15 years ago

www.quiltersemporium.com
    too bad you missed the 'sew in' last weekend - teal blocks for the Ovarian Cancer quilt sale benefirtting M D Anderson Ovarian Cancer.

Carolyn

• damascusannie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jeff is working on the island and is currently looking for housing there. I'll tell him to consider looking on the mainland, too. Now it sounds like he might be coming home for a week to help deal with some things here (vehicles!) and then head back down. I know about the heat and humidity--NOT looking forward to that!

Annie

• barker_tx
    15 years ago

a lot of the houses on the island had water in them - I have no idea what the rental situation is like at this time; of course, there is a huge amount of 'vacation rentals' on the island - many hi rise and most of them are built up high enough to escape flooding if they were behind the seawall; air conditioning will be your friend during the hot months - A/C house to A/C vehicle to A/C store/work/mall - we have about 20 days a year that we open the windows!

carolyn