Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnpgw

Need help with bathroom wall color please

tnpgw
13 years ago

I'm horrible at color coordinating. I have this almond bathroom that is not a pure almond. It has kind of a strange yellowish undertone. I need to paint the walls. The rest of the house is all neutral beige, so I want to give the bathroom some color, but not too wild as I'm going to sell the house.

Blue makes this shade of almond look really dirty. I tried sage green, which is my favorite color, but it makes the room look too dark, much darker than the picture shows. It's a small bathroom with no windows. The sage green also made the white medicine cabinet stand out like a sore thumb.

I'm thinking of using one of these two dusty rose colors. Do you think they would go with the almond or would they clash?

Any opinions will be appreciated!

Here's the green I tried. It looks much darker in real life than in the picture.

Comments (14)

• avesmor
    13 years ago

Green & red are color wheel opposites (enhancers). If you pair that tile (green undertones) with pink, I think you're just going to emphasize the green, and it sounds like that's not something you want.

If you're selling, pick a pretty shower curtain. That's what most people will focus on.

What's the style of the rest of the house? I could see painting the walls the same color as the tile, and going with black/white/toile accessories. Creamy yellow bathrooms always feel nice, and it will help offset the absence of natural light.

• avesmor
    13 years ago

• tnpgw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks!

The rest of the house is a beige type of color. Specific color is Valspar's Homestead Resort Buff. The bedrooms, living room and dining room are all painted in the same Buff color. The curtains and accessories throughout the house are sage green. I wanted to bring some color into the bathroom to make the house appear less boring to potential buyers, but maybe color is not the way to go here, as nothing seems to be working. I painted it creamy yellow a few years ago, and it clashed badly with the almond surround.

The almond surround (it's actually a plastic surround, not real tile) is impossible to match. I have jillions of paint chips here in the almond family, and I can't find one that matches that particular color. It's kind of a funky type of almond, not the nice shade of almond that most sinks and tubs are.

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

I would do a lighter, creamy linen color and use accessories for color. A lovely shower curtain, nice artwork, towels. I don't think this is the place to do a darker color like you're trying, sorry....

• differentdreamer
    13 years ago

You've still got the blue masking tape between the tile and the paint. That might be throwing off your perception of the color. Remove that and see how it looks with your rosy colors.

• gmp3
    13 years ago

I agree, no pink. I'd do the walls a lighter shade than the tile, black or chocolate brown accents and a shower curtain that is light (to make the room look bigger for selling. Dark accents (picture frames, curtain hooks, rod, candle holders) will draw your eye away from everything that is somewhat monochromatic (tile, walls).

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/landingpages/apt9/bedbath/bath/PRD~326699/apt+9+Lifestyle+Shower+Curtain.jsp

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/bedandbath/bathaccessoriesnew/showercurtains/casual/floral/PRD~636830/Beatrice+Home+Fashions+Arabella+Shower+Curtain.jsp

• yayagal
    13 years ago

Theres a SW color named Steamed milk that is a creamy color and would look great in there. I think the pinkish shade is not good. Light and neutral is the way to go.

• tnpgw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your help, everyone! On Sunday I got fed up with it and ended up painting it the same light beige as the rest of the house, Valspar Homestead Resort Buff. It goes perfect with the bone colored toilet and sink, but it seems to bring more of a yellowish tint to the ugly plastic tile than I'd like. I don't think there's anything that will make that tile look good. LOL! Hopefully once I hang a shower curtain, the tile won't be that noticeable.

I like the idea of dark accents to break up the boring beige a little.

I still have to do the trim and then I'll remove the blue tape and post a picture.

This is a mobile home, by the way, which is why the tile is plastic instead of fiberglass. The sinks in the bathrooms were an even uglier color plastic if you can imagine anything uglier than that tile, so I replaced them with bone colored ceramic sinks. Can't do anything about the tile though, as the newer mobile home shower surrounds don't fit the older models.

• tnpgw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's the finished bathroom. The weird lighter square in the top right of the first picture is just glare from the flash bouncing off the mirror. This isn't the perfect color to go with the icky tile, but I hope it doesn't look too awful.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Perfect....

• tnpgw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks!

• uesjo
    13 years ago

I think it looks pretty good!!
    Maybe all you need now is a pretty shower curtain, i think a dark colour like a chocolate brown would be pretty

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

Much better then pink!

• tnpgw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I found a shower curtain I think would look good. It's a combination of a neutral linen, chocolate, and aqua. And I'm thinking about getting chocolate towels and accessories.