Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jprain

A few goodbyes (pics)

JPRain
12 years ago

Excuse me... I have to say a few goodbyes.

Goodbye old, stained, chipped nasty formica.

Goodbye worthless range hood that that's been cleaned so much it's losing its "stuff" and only seemed to spread grease around my kitchen. So I never used you.

Goodbye green, foamy, plastic backsplash of dubious origin. I will never have to wash your hideous nooks and crannies again.

Goodbye cabinet door that never really closed. I will never bang my knee on you again while making myself an omelet. That was never a nice thing to do early in the morning.

And your friends the broken drawers that always hung off of they're tracks.

And goodbye to all the rest of you. The parts of my kitchen that made you no fun to work in, had me avoiding company, and harshing my mellow. (There are to many of you to mention all of you. Interested parties can click back to flickr to get an idea of how many aggravating and ugly parts of you there were.)

I'm saying goodbye because you have finally left me for "Old Blue", the dump truck that will carry you off to the landfill site, where you will still be ugly, polluting the world with your ugliness until nature finally reclaims you... But for now, I no longer have to look at you.

Comments (17)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

LOL!!!

• Fori
    12 years ago

I think that kitchen was actually worn out! byebye!!

• Dando
    12 years ago

The word "timeless" comes to mind.

• jmcgowan
    12 years ago

That was a good laugh, JPR! The kitchen in our house was just about as bad...isn't it fun when the demo starts??!! Good luck with your reno!

• Mom23Es
    12 years ago

Lol. That's great. That kitchen was definitely past its prime.

• rocketmomkd
    12 years ago

Goodbye indeed!! I didn't give my worn out kitchen much of a send off...pretty much just kicked it to the curb. I can't wait to hear your greeting to the new kitchen!

• badgergal
    12 years ago

How nice of you to say good bye to your old kitchen. I don't think I've read another kitchen eulogy on this site before. But then again ido detect a note of sarcasm in your praise!
    Good luck in your remodel

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah....good-bye!

• macybaby
    12 years ago

I see you have an old house that someone cut holes in from the outside to blow in insulation. Of all the demo work, dealing with that stuff was one of the worst IMO. I was never so glad when I got the last bag of it hauled out of the house.

• modern_mom35
    12 years ago

Love it!

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

A good riddance not a good bye.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Excellent. I wish I had taken such a pre-demo montage!

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

There is one, single, moment of value the departing kitchen will always retain:

It will remind you of what you will never, ever, tolerate in your kitchen again, because you Do. Not. Have. To. Ever. Again.

One must have a benchmark.
    [blowing a big kiss goodbye for you!]

• aliris19
    12 years ago

What a lovely send-off! Brings a smile to my face...

onward!

• JPRain
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the positive feedback, I tend write... err... montages... When I'm stressed out.

This has been along time coming. When I bought my house it was for the neighborhood not for the kitchen. (Or the bathroom for that matter but that was before I knew about Gardenweb.) It's about a quarter of a mile from the Mississippi River in Saint Paul, MN. It's a great location. (Eagles play in my backyard... Frickin' eagles.)

The big renovation started last fall with the garage, which we completely ripped out, concrete and all. You can see it some of my flickr pics with the Tyvek wrap still on it and my '47 Willys... (I'm sure the neighbors are thanking me for that.) Now the kitchen, which moves a patio door, which means a new deck, which is going to force me to re-landscape the whole back yard.

And somewhere in there I'm going to put a new roof on it. Which means taking off the chimney, which leads to a new hot water heater. (The furnace is already new and already vents out the side.)

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

tootleloo

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Funny and oh so true. I haven't been able to post a before pic of my kitchen yet. Good luck with the remodel.